Skip to main content

A Period of Adjustment

 

                                                                                              Picture by Joyce

When I was fifteen or so, my dad got a new job in a different city. Partway through the school-year I had to say goodbye to my friends and start over at a new school. I was dreading this pull away from the people and places I knew. I shouldn’t complain. Some kids go through this a lot. But it is especially hard when it is in the middle of the school-year. It is like starting your life over again. I went to my new classes and I immediately started getting the new-kid stares. That is not a good thing. I tried to blend in, but it is hard when you don’t know the ropes. It did not help that I had a teacher that I took a quick dislike to. He liked to snarl, and find fault, not the least encouraging. Why does a person like this become a teacher? Did he start out good and get worn down by life? Maybe he honestly believed that this was the best way to motivate. In any event, I dreaded his class. I also had some good teachers there, but the adjustment was rough. I had never received any grade lower than a C in my life, but that term I received two “I’s” (Incompletes). This was a school that did not believe in giving F’s so if a student would have earned an F, s/he got an incomplete. There was supposed to be further work the student could do to turn that into another grade, but if the student didn’t, the “I” turned into an “F”. For one of the classes, I did the work. For the bad teacher, I did not and accepted the only F I would ever get in my life.

In my old school, I was kind of in the “in” crowd. This was not because I was cool. I was definitely not cool. But I was friends with a cool kid, and he supported me no matter how annoying I could be. He greased the wheels for me. In the new school there was no wheel greasing. I was barely tolerated, a spot of dirt on one’s shoe. It was lonely.

Still in PE class another student came up to me and started talking. He was a recent transfer too and was also in need of a friend. He was kind of quiet and nerdy, not unlike me. As I had at my old school, I went out for the basketball team. The year before I had been a starter on the JV team. I was not the best shooter or all-around player, but I made up for it by being the fastest on the team and I could outjump anyone. Here at my new school, I had a coach who believed in motivation by yelling. It is exactly the kind of coaching style that works against me. It is anti-motivation. I stuck out the tryouts for a couple of weeks and by the end I was purposely tanking my chances. When the final roster of who made the team was posted, I was semi-relieved to find my name not on it. I am not saying I would have made the team if I had tried my best, but we will never know, thanks to the coach.

But in a couple of months despite a bad teacher and a bad coach, I was finding some sort of equilibrium at my new school. Then track season started. Unlike the basketball coach, I liked the track coach. He was knowledgeable, supportive, and encouraging (just like a coach or a teacher should be). I did well. Somehow, the very first meet of the season I broke the school record for the 100-yard dash. Now, all of a sudden, people wanted to be my friend. Yeah. But I preferred the friends I had made when I was a social pariah. I knew they had sticking power. 

Most teachers, coaches, and other role model for kids, are good. There is only the occasional bad apple. And maybe my bad apples weren’t as bad as I am making them out to be, but I was in a vulnerable place, and they didn’t help. I am not a person who usually gives up easily, but for that one class and the basketball team, I gave up. While I am to blame for my own failings, they were to blame too. The point is as adults we are all role models for kids at some point, and it does not take much to have a negative impact on a child (or a positive one). Act with care.

Star Liner

Comments

  1. Awe Our School years ! What strife and trusting Vulnerbility !

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Trip Home

  My wife and I recently returned from a trip to New York to visit my son and his wife. What follows is an excerpt of my notes from that trip. Departure day. So we and the kids (adult kids) leave by 5:30 AM. These “kids” are night owls. They rarely wake before 10:00 if they don’t have to, so we appreciate the sacrifice. Daughter-in-Law (DIL) drove us the 30 minutes to the train station. Hugs and good-byes for her (we love DIL. DIL is an irresistible force). Son navigates us a route to the platform with fewer stairs than the way we came. We get a ticket and get on the train headed for the big city and Grand Central Station. I soon realize that this train is not an express train like the one we took coming out. Instead of taking a little over an hour like we did before, this one would take a little over an hour and a half. We stop at places with names like Cold Springs and Peekskill (on this trip we saw a lot of place names that ended in “kill” including Kaatskill, i.e. Catskill, and

That 70's Decade

  Can a decade become a caricature? My teen years were in the 1970’s and none of us who lived through the 70’s thought our decade was going to be a figure of fun. When you are a part of it, you don’t realize what people are going to make fun of later. I think there are two reasons why people snicker when the 70’s are mentioned: clothing styles and Disco. Both things could be called extensions of trends that started in the 60’s. When the hippy styles of the 60’s became more formalized for the dance floor, the result was (in hindsight) rather bizarre. They did not seem bizarre at the time. People following present fashion trends never understand that they are wearing something that will be laughed at in ten years. Yes, I did have a pair of bell-bottom blue jeans (are they making a comeback?) The mere mention of the 1970’s conjures up someone in a ridiculous pose wearing a disco suit. We who lived through the 70’s just went about our normal life. There were quite a lot of things that ha

Tyranny of the Masses

  I was listening to Benjamin Netanyahu on the radio. He was justifying his change in the law that removed power from the Israeli Supreme Court, saying that it was the will of the people. Majority rules. This made me think of “Tyranny of the masses,” a concept that notes: just because a majority of people are for something, that doesn’t make it right. I am sure you can think of historical examples where the people of a country supported a policy that was demonstrably wrong. When everything is completely governed by majority rule, the rights of the minority can be subverted by the majority. The framers of our American Constitution knew this, and tried to put in some checks and balances into our system of government. This was to guard against all forms of tyranny whether from a dictator, or from tyranny of the masses. One of those checks is that we have a representative government. The people themselves don’t pass laws, but instead elect representatives at the federal and local level t