Skip to main content

The Tribulations of Tributaries

 




One summer, while I was working for the US Forest Service, I was assigned to do stream survey. The purpose of stream survey is to assess the health of a particular stream or network of streams for the fish population. My partner Ed and I went through training in the Spring and then began our survey of the North Fork of the Yachats River and all of its tributaries.

Stream survey is an odd job. Both science and art. One member of the two-person team is designated as the estimator and the other is the recorder. Each day they switch jobs. The river is divided into habitat types of which there are three basic forms: riffles, pools, and glides. A pool is just what it sounds like. The bed is deeper and there is not much vertical drop from the upper side of the pool to the downstream side. Riffles are marked by a steeper drop in elevation and tend to be longer stretches of stream than pools. The surface of the water is rougher in a riffle as the water is moving faster. Riffles can include full-on whitewater rapids and cascades, but they don’t have to be that extreme. A glide is something in-between a pool and a riffle, a long stretch that is deeper and slower than a riffle, but not as deep as a pool.

The first thing the estimator does is to define the habitat type for a given piece of stream. Then he estimates how wide and how long it is. For example, he may say the first type is a riffle that is 8 feet wide and 40 feet long. Then as they move up the stream, he determines the next habitat type is a pool 15 feet wide and 25 feet long, and so on. The recorder dutifully writes down the estimator’s estimates. The recorder does not comment, does not give his own opinion. Every tenth pool gets measured. After the pool has been estimated, the recorder lets the estimator know that this pool is to be measured and they pull tape across and along to measure the width and length of the pool. The only one who can see the results of the measurement is the recorder. He does not tell the estimator what the measurements are. In this way when the project is all done actual measurements are compared to estimates and a coefficient can be applied to the estimates for each person. This is a fairly accurate way to get figures without having to measure the whole river, which would be too time-consuming. Also, at each tenth pool the water temperature is taken. In this way the basic elements of the river are recorded.

At a later date the team comes back and snorkels the pools. One of the team dons a wet suit and snorkel and scans the pool looking for fish. He tells the recorder how many fish he has seen, their size and species. This can be a little tricky. Fish move, especially if there is a big lumbering human approaching. But we do our best. Oh, and did I mention it is cold. The wet suit notwithstanding, it is friggin cold. We had a chance to work with the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife, and they have a different method for the fish counts. They string up a net at the lower end of the pool and use an electric shocker to stun the fish. The fish collect in the net and can then be counted. This results in a much more accurate count than our snorkeling method, but occasionally they may lose a fish who got too close to the shocker (or got stepped on). It is also a lot more equipment to haul upstream (and back). So, advantages and disadvantages. But Ed and I do it the old-fashioned way with a wet suit.

We walked the length of the river and every tributary of the river . . . twice. For part of the way we could drive alongside it. There had been a road that at one time traversed the whole length of the river and connected with a main road on the other end. But that road had long been in disrepair. Two bridges still existed where the road crossed the river. The third and fourth and any more that followed  had long since given up the ghost. Actually, the second bridge was questionable. Planks were laid across four large log stringers. One of the logs had broken and was laying in the water, a second was severely cracked. Ed said, “I’ll walk over and keep an eye on the bridge while you cross. If I start flailing my hands, throw it in reverse quick.” I remember as I was crossing the bridge going, “why am I doing this? And whose idea was it that I drive?” But I made it across. I might as well not have bothered as it only gained us about 600 feet of river before we came to the next impassable crossing. We walked the rest of the way.

We were supposed to survey every tributary that was large enough to have fish. One of the tributaries was so thick with brush that it was like walking through steel wool. Good for the fish (no birds were going to swoop down and get them) but bad for us humans. The stream had a name, but we nicknamed it “Shit Creek.” On one of the creeks, we came to a beaver dam and on the other side of the dam was a huge beaver pond. The pond was the size of a football field. The canyon walls came almost vertically down at the edges of the pond so we had to figure out a way around it. We split up. Ed took one side and I took the other. I walked uphill toward the top of the ridge until I could find a passable route. I was fighting my way uphill through the brush when a buzzing thing flew into my cheek. I swatted at it, knocked my hardhat off and my glasses, lost my balance and fell backward down the hill. Fortunately, the brush was so thick I didn’t fall very far. I had also gotten stung for my effort. Ow. I probably said a lot more words than that. My first order of business was to find my glasses. This is not easy to do when you are not wearing glasses. I could see the hardhat and moved toward it. As I got closer, I could see my glasses lying on the ground. They were lying right over a hole in the ground. The hole was the opening for a nest of yellowjackets. I waited for a bit, but the yellowjackets weren’t going anywhere. I found a stick and reached in with it and was able to retrieve my glasses. I navigated around the pond and met up with Ed. He had me apply some mud to the sting. On another occasion a deerfly bit right through my shirt and left a nasty welt. But fortunately, we never encountered any ticks or leaches or any other blood sucking critters (except for mosquitoes).

Trials and tribulations aside, it was a good experience for me. Being out in nature in a place that few people have trod is energizing. I learned what makes a healthy stream, and I saw examples of healthy and unhealthy streams. It’s no great mystery. The healthiest streams are the ones that have been left alone. They are the ones that can support the most fish, if any fish can make it to them. We want healthy fish runs, an important part of the web of life. It’s all part of the same story: our story. And we hope it has a happy ending.

Star Liner

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Trip Home

  My wife and I recently returned from a trip to New York to visit my son and his wife. What follows is an excerpt of my notes from that trip. Departure day. So we and the kids (adult kids) leave by 5:30 AM. These “kids” are night owls. They rarely wake before 10:00 if they don’t have to, so we appreciate the sacrifice. Daughter-in-Law (DIL) drove us the 30 minutes to the train station. Hugs and good-byes for her (we love DIL. DIL is an irresistible force). Son navigates us a route to the platform with fewer stairs than the way we came. We get a ticket and get on the train headed for the big city and Grand Central Station. I soon realize that this train is not an express train like the one we took coming out. Instead of taking a little over an hour like we did before, this one would take a little over an hour and a half. We stop at places with names like Cold Springs and Peekskill (on this trip we saw a lot of place names that ended in “kill” including Kaatskill, i.e. Catskill, and

That 70's Decade

  Can a decade become a caricature? My teen years were in the 1970’s and none of us who lived through the 70’s thought our decade was going to be a figure of fun. When you are a part of it, you don’t realize what people are going to make fun of later. I think there are two reasons why people snicker when the 70’s are mentioned: clothing styles and Disco. Both things could be called extensions of trends that started in the 60’s. When the hippy styles of the 60’s became more formalized for the dance floor, the result was (in hindsight) rather bizarre. They did not seem bizarre at the time. People following present fashion trends never understand that they are wearing something that will be laughed at in ten years. Yes, I did have a pair of bell-bottom blue jeans (are they making a comeback?) The mere mention of the 1970’s conjures up someone in a ridiculous pose wearing a disco suit. We who lived through the 70’s just went about our normal life. There were quite a lot of things that ha

Tyranny of the Masses

  I was listening to Benjamin Netanyahu on the radio. He was justifying his change in the law that removed power from the Israeli Supreme Court, saying that it was the will of the people. Majority rules. This made me think of “Tyranny of the masses,” a concept that notes: just because a majority of people are for something, that doesn’t make it right. I am sure you can think of historical examples where the people of a country supported a policy that was demonstrably wrong. When everything is completely governed by majority rule, the rights of the minority can be subverted by the majority. The framers of our American Constitution knew this, and tried to put in some checks and balances into our system of government. This was to guard against all forms of tyranny whether from a dictator, or from tyranny of the masses. One of those checks is that we have a representative government. The people themselves don’t pass laws, but instead elect representatives at the federal and local level t