Skip to main content

Th Enormous Room




I have just finished The Enormous Room by E. E. Cummings. Cummings was many things:  playwright, artist and novelist, but is most famous for being a poet in the first half of the Twentieth Century. The Enormous Room is a memoir of the time he spent in a French prison during World War I.

With America not yet in the war, he and a friend volunteered for ambulance duty. Letters home intercepted by censors caused the French to think these two Americans were undesirables, possibly even German spies because they dared to state that they did not hate Germans. They were sent to a holding prison until their fates could be determined. All the men in the prison were housed in one ‘enormous room’ with minimal comforts and sanitation. Meals were sparse (when his friend was finally released, he was found to have scurvy). Some of the fellow prisoners probably (like Cummings and his friend) were no threat to France or anybody. But some of the prisoners were bad seeds. The good and the bad were all housed together in the same room. It seems so ludicrous that these two men who volunteered to drive ambulances for the Allies, should be treated so shabbily by the French bureaucracy. Yet, Cummings gives us a portrayal of life in the prison that was often carefree and even joyful.  I guess life is what you make of it.

Not surprisingly, Cummings style is poetic and metaphoric. He uses so many euphemisms and cryptic names for his fellow prisoners that it is sometimes hard to keep track of who he is talking about. Yet he paints a picture of prison life much the way an impressionist artist would paint a scene, giving us the feel of life and character. And when he is reporting something one of his French companions (or guards) is saying, he writes it in French, usually with no translation. If you are someone like me who doesn’t know French, you have to puzzle out the meaning from the context in which it was said. This was not as big a barrier as I might have thought, as I was usually able to figure it out (or anyway, I assigned some meaning to it that worked for me, whether it was right or wrong).

This bureaucratic nightmare, despite moments of pain, was not a depressing tale. There was something uplifting about it. His spirit, and the spirit of his friend remained strong. It gives one hope.

(My science fiction novel Star Liner, is now available in paperback or as an e-book through Amazon and other online sources).


Link to Star Liner

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All That We See or Seem by Ken Liu

My first experience with cyberpunk as a genre of science fiction was Neuromancer by William Gibson. Neuromancer was one of the early works that defined the cyberpunk genre. It was insanely influential. It won the Hugo Award, the Nebula Award, the Philip K. Dick Award. But for me, it just did not resonate. I had a hard time visualizing the concepts. It left a bad taste in my mouth for cyberpunk. I mostly avoided the genre. Then a couple of years ago I read Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson which is cyberpunk (although some people say it is a parody of cyberpunk). Whatever, I liked it. I recently picked up All That We See or Seem by Ken Liu and it immediately became apparent to me that this was cyberpunk. Julia Z is the main character, and I think this is going to be the start of a series following her. She is a hacker (hence cyberpunk). She has got herself in trouble and so she lives on the margins, barely making it. Then a lawyer asks her for her help. His wife has been kidnapped. The ...

The Linear Nature of Time

    Go Go back Go back to the time before Before you did it Before they did it Before it was done to you Before the toast fell on the floor Before the catastrophe Before the mistake Before time’s scars Before   Go Go back Redeem it Rework it Fix it Go back   No you cannot Go back Star Liner

The Screaming Silence

  As I have mentioned, I worked for two seasons on the Spotted Owl Survey for the US Forest Service back in the day. This involved setting up stations around areas that were scheduled for timber harvesting to see if there were owls nesting there. We would look at a topographic map and see where we needed to put stations (usually along logging roads) so that we could get complete coverage of the area to be harvested. We would go out during the day and mark these stations with ribbons, then at night we would go to each station and “hoot” for ten minutes. If we did not get a response, we would move on to the next station and so on until we could be sure there were no spotted owls in the vicinity. This meant we were working at night in the woods. There is a lot of wildlife activity at night in the woods. It is not just owls, a fair number of wildlife are nocturnal. We saw coyotes, bobcats, cougars, bats, frogs, deer, elk, among other things. But it was not just seeing the wildlife, ...