Skip to main content

Babel-17: A Review

 



Time for some classic science fiction. Babel-17 by Samuel R. Delaney shared the 1966 Nebula award for best science fiction novel with Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes. Reading Delaney can often be a mind trip. He is at times poetic (the main character is a poet) and at times experimental (I remember I had trouble making it through his later novel Dahlgren). In Babel-17 he delves deep into psychological mysteries and the nature of consciousness. Despite all that, the story is very readable.

The civilization we are following, “The Alliance,” is at war with the ambiguous and undescribed "Invaders.” The Alliance has discovered an invader code: Babel-17. This code gets broadcast right before  “accidents” that happen on military installations or to people or equipment that are important to the Alliance. The generals feel these accidents are not accidents. The Alliance have asked the brilliant Rydra Wong to break the code, but after a preliminary investigation, she tells them Babel-17 is not a code but a language. To translate it she will need to travel to the site of the next predicted attack. That sets her of on a voyage with her misfit crew to decipher the language and stop the attacks. That misfit crew contains loveable characters, some of whom are technically dead and exist as consciousness only.

The book is not terribly long but it is dense with a lot to unpack: rich characters, worldbuilding and subplots. I enjoyed the premise, the buildup and the ride. The story does have a bit of that 1960’s patina and there are a few anachronisms like the distant future computers using punch-cards, but they are easily overlooked and don’t detract from the story. When Rydra Wong deciphers the language, it leads to an innovative and fascinating plot twist that bends your mind (at least it bent my mind).  It might be a story that I need to reread to grasp the full meaning. The ending was a bit rushed for my taste. That though, is a minor quibble when dealing with a classic work like this. I recommend Babel-17 to all who are unafraid of getting their minds blown.

Star Liner

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All That We See or Seem by Ken Liu

My first experience with cyberpunk as a genre of science fiction was Neuromancer by William Gibson. Neuromancer was one of the early works that defined the cyberpunk genre. It was insanely influential. It won the Hugo Award, the Nebula Award, the Philip K. Dick Award. But for me, it just did not resonate. I had a hard time visualizing the concepts. It left a bad taste in my mouth for cyberpunk. I mostly avoided the genre. Then a couple of years ago I read Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson which is cyberpunk (although some people say it is a parody of cyberpunk). Whatever, I liked it. I recently picked up All That We See or Seem by Ken Liu and it immediately became apparent to me that this was cyberpunk. Julia Z is the main character, and I think this is going to be the start of a series following her. She is a hacker (hence cyberpunk). She has got herself in trouble and so she lives on the margins, barely making it. Then a lawyer asks her for her help. His wife has been kidnapped. The ...

The Linear Nature of Time

    Go Go back Go back to the time before Before you did it Before they did it Before it was done to you Before the toast fell on the floor Before the catastrophe Before the mistake Before time’s scars Before   Go Go back Redeem it Rework it Fix it Go back   No you cannot Go back Star Liner

The Screaming Silence

  As I have mentioned, I worked for two seasons on the Spotted Owl Survey for the US Forest Service back in the day. This involved setting up stations around areas that were scheduled for timber harvesting to see if there were owls nesting there. We would look at a topographic map and see where we needed to put stations (usually along logging roads) so that we could get complete coverage of the area to be harvested. We would go out during the day and mark these stations with ribbons, then at night we would go to each station and “hoot” for ten minutes. If we did not get a response, we would move on to the next station and so on until we could be sure there were no spotted owls in the vicinity. This meant we were working at night in the woods. There is a lot of wildlife activity at night in the woods. It is not just owls, a fair number of wildlife are nocturnal. We saw coyotes, bobcats, cougars, bats, frogs, deer, elk, among other things. But it was not just seeing the wildlife, ...