Skip to main content

The Story of Civilization

 


It was one of those book club deals. Buy five books from this list and you can have your choice of one of these enticing prizes. The enticing prize I chose was The Story of Civilization by Will Durant (The later books in the series were coauthored with his wife Ariel Durant). This is no small thing. It is eleven volumes, eleven thick volumes. And I am not a fast reader, but I do have an interest in history. I knew about the series because my parents had the set, though at the time they bought them there were only seven or eight volumes in the series. I had seen the books on their bookshelf and not paid too much attention to them. When I briefly moved back in with my parents after college, I borrowed one of the books. I think it was the third book in the set called Caesar and Christ. I had been interested in all things Roman since watching I Claudius years before. The book was an interesting look at the history of the Roman Empire, and the history of Christianity, and the collision course they were on. It took me a while to get through Caesar and Christ. I started and stopped a few times, but I did get through it. And when I saw the opportunity to get the entire series for myself, I took it. I didn’t really believe that I would finish the whole set. Maybe I thought of it as a status symbol to have them on my shelf.  But maybe I would read just one more book . . .

One book led to another. I did not sit down and read the whole set. I would read one book over the course of . . . however long it took me to read it. Then I would read something else, maybe several something else’s, science fiction, or history, or general fiction. But eventually I would wind up with another one of the Durant books in my hand. I do like to set challenges for myself. Eventually, after reading enough of the series, I started to say, why not finish the whole thing? Again, it went in fits and starts, but eventually I did finish the whole thing. I did not set any speed records. From when I started the first book until I finished the last book, twenty years had passed.

So, am I now an expert at world history? No. I have some general knowledge, but it is amazing how much of that huge catalogue of data slipped out of my brain. Some of what I remember best are historical figures that I did not know much about before: Queen Zenobia of Palmyra, Madame de Pompadour, Voltaire. I could also be struck by Durant’s turn of phrase. One time, after recounting some horrific event, he said, “From barbarism to civilization requires a century; from civilization to barbarism needs but a day.” Another quote, “When liberty destroys order, the hunger for order will destroy liberty.”

Durant believed as others before him that people who do not learn the lessons of history are condemned to repeat them. But the sad fact is, people never learn the lessons of history. Dictators rise to power using the same tired methods that have been used for centuries. Wars are started for the same stupid reasons. Racism is always just under the surface, and easily exploited. It is tiresome to read the same mistakes over and over again. But there is also hope. There is also grandeur. There is also achievement. Not to mention some cracking good stories. My recommendation is, don’t let big history books intimidate you, especially if they are written by good writers.

Star Liner

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All That We See or Seem by Ken Liu

My first experience with cyberpunk as a genre of science fiction was Neuromancer by William Gibson. Neuromancer was one of the early works that defined the cyberpunk genre. It was insanely influential. It won the Hugo Award, the Nebula Award, the Philip K. Dick Award. But for me, it just did not resonate. I had a hard time visualizing the concepts. It left a bad taste in my mouth for cyberpunk. I mostly avoided the genre. Then a couple of years ago I read Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson which is cyberpunk (although some people say it is a parody of cyberpunk). Whatever, I liked it. I recently picked up All That We See or Seem by Ken Liu and it immediately became apparent to me that this was cyberpunk. Julia Z is the main character, and I think this is going to be the start of a series following her. She is a hacker (hence cyberpunk). She has got herself in trouble and so she lives on the margins, barely making it. Then a lawyer asks her for her help. His wife has been kidnapped. The ...

The Linear Nature of Time

    Go Go back Go back to the time before Before you did it Before they did it Before it was done to you Before the toast fell on the floor Before the catastrophe Before the mistake Before time’s scars Before   Go Go back Redeem it Rework it Fix it Go back   No you cannot Go back Star Liner

The Screaming Silence

  As I have mentioned, I worked for two seasons on the Spotted Owl Survey for the US Forest Service back in the day. This involved setting up stations around areas that were scheduled for timber harvesting to see if there were owls nesting there. We would look at a topographic map and see where we needed to put stations (usually along logging roads) so that we could get complete coverage of the area to be harvested. We would go out during the day and mark these stations with ribbons, then at night we would go to each station and “hoot” for ten minutes. If we did not get a response, we would move on to the next station and so on until we could be sure there were no spotted owls in the vicinity. This meant we were working at night in the woods. There is a lot of wildlife activity at night in the woods. It is not just owls, a fair number of wildlife are nocturnal. We saw coyotes, bobcats, cougars, bats, frogs, deer, elk, among other things. But it was not just seeing the wildlife, ...