Skip to main content

Deadlines

 


As a writer, I thrive under a deadline. Deadlines keep me motivated and focused. I like participating in NANOWRIMO (National Novel Writing Month), where I have one month to write a 50,000-word novel. It is a good challenge, and it gives me motivation to write every day. There have been other small projects where I have had a deadline, like the recent anthology Rainbows Aren’t Just for Leprechauns. I had a deadline to get the story in, and I made it. Without a deadline, without something pushing me forward, it is just too easy to not write. Procrastination is my nemesis. Give me a deadline. I am happy with a deadline.

But there was one project I signed up for where the deadline proved downright terrifying . . .

I joined a twenty-four-hour theater project. You can sign up as a writer, or an actor, or a director or tech crew. The idea is that each play goes from conception to performance in front of an audience in the course of 24 hours. I signed up as a writer. The writers come in at 10:00 PM and get writing prompts (things that have to be in their play). They have until 6:00 AM to finish their plays. Then the directors come in and select which plays to direct. They cast the plays with the available actors and then they have the day to rehearse, block, and stage the plays which will be performed at 8:00 PM. This sounded like a good challenge for me.

At 10:00 I sat down to write along with the other writers. One of the prompts drawn out of a hat was the setting for the play which was: Hell. Now, Hell could be interpreted many different ways, It could be biblical Hell, or a town named Hell, or a metaphorical hell. It could be about Orpheus and Eurydice, or a nightclub named Hell. There were lots of different possibilities to consider. I started to consider all of them. I started picking a scenario and then running some plot possibilities, only to run out of steam and start over. There was a grandfather clock in the room. When the clock struck 12, I realized that two hours had gone by, and I had written nothing.

I applied myself. I told myself I just had to pick something and start writing. Pick a theme. Pick a character and just go, go, go. Still, so many choices, so many wrong turns. When the clock struck 1:00 I had written a half a page. This was a nightmare. Three hours gone and only five to go. I was blowing it. I think I was actually starting to sweat. What’s worse, I was getting drowsy. The word is: panic.

Somehow, I had to pull it together. The deadline was not going anywhere. When 6:00 came, I was going to have to present them with what I had, and it was going to be really embarrassing if I didn’t come up with something. I plowed ahead, not knowing if what I was writing was good or crap. Six AM came. I had something. It was only nine pages, a little on the short side, but it was a complete play, and I felt okay about it. When I got to see it performed that night, I felt even better about it.

So, yes, deadlines are good for me. It worked I produced something I could be proud of. But for that particular deadline, fun it was not.

Star Liner

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All That We See or Seem by Ken Liu

My first experience with cyberpunk as a genre of science fiction was Neuromancer by William Gibson. Neuromancer was one of the early works that defined the cyberpunk genre. It was insanely influential. It won the Hugo Award, the Nebula Award, the Philip K. Dick Award. But for me, it just did not resonate. I had a hard time visualizing the concepts. It left a bad taste in my mouth for cyberpunk. I mostly avoided the genre. Then a couple of years ago I read Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson which is cyberpunk (although some people say it is a parody of cyberpunk). Whatever, I liked it. I recently picked up All That We See or Seem by Ken Liu and it immediately became apparent to me that this was cyberpunk. Julia Z is the main character, and I think this is going to be the start of a series following her. She is a hacker (hence cyberpunk). She has got herself in trouble and so she lives on the margins, barely making it. Then a lawyer asks her for her help. His wife has been kidnapped. The ...

The Linear Nature of Time

    Go Go back Go back to the time before Before you did it Before they did it Before it was done to you Before the toast fell on the floor Before the catastrophe Before the mistake Before time’s scars Before   Go Go back Redeem it Rework it Fix it Go back   No you cannot Go back Star Liner

The Screaming Silence

  As I have mentioned, I worked for two seasons on the Spotted Owl Survey for the US Forest Service back in the day. This involved setting up stations around areas that were scheduled for timber harvesting to see if there were owls nesting there. We would look at a topographic map and see where we needed to put stations (usually along logging roads) so that we could get complete coverage of the area to be harvested. We would go out during the day and mark these stations with ribbons, then at night we would go to each station and “hoot” for ten minutes. If we did not get a response, we would move on to the next station and so on until we could be sure there were no spotted owls in the vicinity. This meant we were working at night in the woods. There is a lot of wildlife activity at night in the woods. It is not just owls, a fair number of wildlife are nocturnal. We saw coyotes, bobcats, cougars, bats, frogs, deer, elk, among other things. But it was not just seeing the wildlife, ...