Skip to main content

Back from Hiatus


 

Last year I participated in a local production of The Tempest. I have been in a lot of plays over the years, but this was my first outing since 2019. The pandemic put the kibosh on many things including theatre, but even after lockdown was over, my wife and I were reluctant to expose ourselves to a lot of people. But early in 2024 the man who was going to be directing The Tempest called me and asked if I would be willing to be in it. He had a part he wanted me to play. I had turned down some parts in the previous couple of years, but I felt like the time was right and the play was right for me, so I said yes.

I wrote a blog about this in 2024 as we were preparing to open the play, and I was anticipating going on stage again. Now, long after the play has ended its run and before it completely slips from my mind, I thought I would speak to how it went. It went well. My memorization skills are perhaps not quite as crisp as they were when I was in my 30’s, but still good enough to get through it. Falling into the part of a castmate was as easy as falling off a log. The camaraderie one develops with the people participating in a production is real, if fleeting. It is not unheard of for there to be disagreements or little “dramas” occurring among cast and crew, but I don’t recall any of that in this production.

I came to like my character of Gonzolo, though I couldn’t have told you much about Gonzolo before I acted the part.  Actors do develop relationships with the characters they play. Sometimes it is a dysfunctional relationship, and then things don’t go well. That is the fault of the actor, not the character. It is good practice for the actor to find a reason why their character matters. No matter how small the part, there must be some reason for that character to be there. I knew an actor once who, no matter what part he played, could tell you why his character was the most important character in the play.

The main thing is, it felt great to be back on stage again participating in this form of art. The collective energy you feel from the audience and from your fellow actors is uplifting. Fair warning: I will be doing more theatre.

Star Liner


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All That We See or Seem by Ken Liu

My first experience with cyberpunk as a genre of science fiction was Neuromancer by William Gibson. Neuromancer was one of the early works that defined the cyberpunk genre. It was insanely influential. It won the Hugo Award, the Nebula Award, the Philip K. Dick Award. But for me, it just did not resonate. I had a hard time visualizing the concepts. It left a bad taste in my mouth for cyberpunk. I mostly avoided the genre. Then a couple of years ago I read Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson which is cyberpunk (although some people say it is a parody of cyberpunk). Whatever, I liked it. I recently picked up All That We See or Seem by Ken Liu and it immediately became apparent to me that this was cyberpunk. Julia Z is the main character, and I think this is going to be the start of a series following her. She is a hacker (hence cyberpunk). She has got herself in trouble and so she lives on the margins, barely making it. Then a lawyer asks her for her help. His wife has been kidnapped. The ...

The Linear Nature of Time

    Go Go back Go back to the time before Before you did it Before they did it Before it was done to you Before the toast fell on the floor Before the catastrophe Before the mistake Before time’s scars Before   Go Go back Redeem it Rework it Fix it Go back   No you cannot Go back Star Liner

The Screaming Silence

  As I have mentioned, I worked for two seasons on the Spotted Owl Survey for the US Forest Service back in the day. This involved setting up stations around areas that were scheduled for timber harvesting to see if there were owls nesting there. We would look at a topographic map and see where we needed to put stations (usually along logging roads) so that we could get complete coverage of the area to be harvested. We would go out during the day and mark these stations with ribbons, then at night we would go to each station and “hoot” for ten minutes. If we did not get a response, we would move on to the next station and so on until we could be sure there were no spotted owls in the vicinity. This meant we were working at night in the woods. There is a lot of wildlife activity at night in the woods. It is not just owls, a fair number of wildlife are nocturnal. We saw coyotes, bobcats, cougars, bats, frogs, deer, elk, among other things. But it was not just seeing the wildlife, ...