Skip to main content

The Oregon Shakespeare Festival

 


Last week my wife and I vacationed in Ashland, Oregon and attended the Oregon Shakespearean Festival. Ashland is close to the California border and close to Medford, Oregon where I was born. When I was about seven years old, we moved away from Medford, but we would return to see friends from time to time. It was during one of those visits that my parents took me to Ashland to see a Shakespeare play (my first one). A couple of years later they took me to see another play.

That first time in 1972 I instantly fell in love with live theater in general and Shakespeare in particular. My mother had prepared me by reading me the synopsis of the play we were going to see, The Taming of the Shrew. I liked the fact that I could follow the story well even though they were talking with fancy archaic words. I found it funny. I also did not mind seeing pretty actresses in low-cut costumes (I was nearly a teenager after all). My father was hard of hearing, so my parents paid for us to sit in the first or second row. The problem with this is that we were in what I called the “spray zone”. Being a large open-air theater, the actors had to forcefully project their words to be heard all the way to the back. That means that more than just sound came out of their mouths. But it also meant that I was really close to the action and could see every expression and nuance from the actors.

After seeing those first two plays, we moved again, then I grew up and moved away and got married. When we moved back to Oregon I wanted to show my wife the Shakespearean Festival. She and I saw our first play together there in 1987 and she loved it as much as I did. We also loved the town of Ashland. It is a fun artistic community with lots of great places to eat. It also has a beautiful long meandering park called Lithia Park. The park was designed by John McLaren who also designed San Francisco’s Golden Gate Park. We have been back to Ashland many times over the years. At one point we were going every year for about eight years in a row. We don’t quite maintain that frequency today, but we still go often.

I love reconnecting with Shakespeare, and I love seeing the creative ways they bring these stories to life. My parents are long gone now, but going to this festival is also a way to reconnect with them.  

Star Liner


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All That We See or Seem by Ken Liu

My first experience with cyberpunk as a genre of science fiction was Neuromancer by William Gibson. Neuromancer was one of the early works that defined the cyberpunk genre. It was insanely influential. It won the Hugo Award, the Nebula Award, the Philip K. Dick Award. But for me, it just did not resonate. I had a hard time visualizing the concepts. It left a bad taste in my mouth for cyberpunk. I mostly avoided the genre. Then a couple of years ago I read Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson which is cyberpunk (although some people say it is a parody of cyberpunk). Whatever, I liked it. I recently picked up All That We See or Seem by Ken Liu and it immediately became apparent to me that this was cyberpunk. Julia Z is the main character, and I think this is going to be the start of a series following her. She is a hacker (hence cyberpunk). She has got herself in trouble and so she lives on the margins, barely making it. Then a lawyer asks her for her help. His wife has been kidnapped. The ...

The Linear Nature of Time

    Go Go back Go back to the time before Before you did it Before they did it Before it was done to you Before the toast fell on the floor Before the catastrophe Before the mistake Before time’s scars Before   Go Go back Redeem it Rework it Fix it Go back   No you cannot Go back Star Liner

Um . . . Maybe We Shouldn’t Be Here

                                                                                                                                               Art by Mollyroselee Way back in ancient times when I was in high school, I had a girlfriend. I lived in Eugene and she lived in a little community, about 10 miles away. Being as we were teenagers, finding places to “make-out” was high on our priorities. This was my first serious girlfriend and neither one of us were very experienced at having a relationship. Just to be clear, our make-out sessions did not advance to the ultimate step. But it was not easy to find a place to have some privacy. D...