Skip to main content

Cooking Failures

 


One time when I was a kid, maybe 9 or so, I was trying to make something in the kitchen. It might have been a chocolate frosting for something. Anyway, the directions said to melt the chocolate. So, I put the chocolate in a Pyrex bowl and set it on the burner and turned it on. The chocolate was starting to melt when all of a sudden, the bowl broke. Pieces of Pyrex and chocolate all over the stove. I was following the recipe, but when my mother came in, she explained to me that you never put the bowl directly onto the burner. You are supposed to put the bowl in a pan with some water and heat the water. Well, the recipe did not say that.

Another time I was making cookies. The recipe said to “cream the butter and sugars together.” I tracked down my mom and asked her how much cream to put in it. “Cream?” she said. “There’s no cream in it. I showed her the recipe, and she explained to me what the verb “cream” meant.

A lot of recipe writers assume you already know how to do certain basic things in the kitchen. This knowledge is a precursor to actually being able to properly follow the recipe. On the Great British Baking Show, they always have a “Technical Challenge” where the bakers/contestants don’t know what they will be asked to bake. They are given a recipe, but it is a bare bones recipe. One of the items on the recipe might say “make a hot water crust pastry.” They don’t tell them how to make a hot water crust pastry, so if they don’t know how to make one, they are in trouble.

When I was in school, all the boys were required to take a shop class, and all the girls were required to take Home Economics. I assume those basic cooking knowledge skills were to be obtained in Home Economics. Not being a girl, I never took Home Economics. I had to pick up that knowledge in other ways, from my mom, my wife, or through trial and error. The first time I tried making bread, I missed the instructions about letting it rise a second time. My bread turned out like a brick. But I never made that mistake again.

Maybe that is the risk of trying to follow an old recipe or a recipe handed down from your ancestor. They expected the followers to know the basics. Girls were taught the basics as a part of their upbringing. I suspect that Home Economics is no longer required (if it is even offered). So, people who want to learn how to cook and bake have to learn on their own or with family members, or, if they want to pursue this professionally, go to a culinary school.

Cooking or baking is a skill set that I have been developing in myself over the years. I am certainly no expert, but I enjoy doing it and there is a sense of accomplishment in getting something right. Finding mentors or reading up on techniques can get me part of the way there. But there is no substitute for trying it out, for making mistakes. If you serve something you made to someone, they don’t need to know how many times you got it wrong before you got it right.

It is nice to have the benefit of shared knowledge. It connects you with those who came before. It is also nice to share the knowledge with those coming after you. It completes the circle.

Star Liner

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All That We See or Seem by Ken Liu

My first experience with cyberpunk as a genre of science fiction was Neuromancer by William Gibson. Neuromancer was one of the early works that defined the cyberpunk genre. It was insanely influential. It won the Hugo Award, the Nebula Award, the Philip K. Dick Award. But for me, it just did not resonate. I had a hard time visualizing the concepts. It left a bad taste in my mouth for cyberpunk. I mostly avoided the genre. Then a couple of years ago I read Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson which is cyberpunk (although some people say it is a parody of cyberpunk). Whatever, I liked it. I recently picked up All That We See or Seem by Ken Liu and it immediately became apparent to me that this was cyberpunk. Julia Z is the main character, and I think this is going to be the start of a series following her. She is a hacker (hence cyberpunk). She has got herself in trouble and so she lives on the margins, barely making it. Then a lawyer asks her for her help. His wife has been kidnapped. The ...

The Linear Nature of Time

    Go Go back Go back to the time before Before you did it Before they did it Before it was done to you Before the toast fell on the floor Before the catastrophe Before the mistake Before time’s scars Before   Go Go back Redeem it Rework it Fix it Go back   No you cannot Go back Star Liner

The Screaming Silence

  As I have mentioned, I worked for two seasons on the Spotted Owl Survey for the US Forest Service back in the day. This involved setting up stations around areas that were scheduled for timber harvesting to see if there were owls nesting there. We would look at a topographic map and see where we needed to put stations (usually along logging roads) so that we could get complete coverage of the area to be harvested. We would go out during the day and mark these stations with ribbons, then at night we would go to each station and “hoot” for ten minutes. If we did not get a response, we would move on to the next station and so on until we could be sure there were no spotted owls in the vicinity. This meant we were working at night in the woods. There is a lot of wildlife activity at night in the woods. It is not just owls, a fair number of wildlife are nocturnal. We saw coyotes, bobcats, cougars, bats, frogs, deer, elk, among other things. But it was not just seeing the wildlife, ...