Skip to main content

Illegal Orders


 

Much has been made in the news lately about whether soldiers are required to follow an illegal order. That got me thinking. Full disclosure: I am not a legal scholar, nor have I ever been in the military. So, I would not presume to tell you what constitutes an “illegal order.” I presume that is the kind of thing that has to be decided by a court of law. I am not trying to make a political point here for one side or the other. I just have an observation. One thought I keep coming back to with all the discussion is this: if you follow an illegal order, you might find yourself in the shoes of Lieutenant William Calley.

Those of us who grew up during the Viet Nam War have the My Lai Massacre seared on our psyches. It was one of the most shameful chapters in American military history, and helped to galvanize the protests against the war. In 1968 a company of soldiers led by Lt. Calley entered the village of My Lai and slaughtered everyone they could find. These were unarmed civilians. They were mostly elderly men, women and children. The exact number of dead is not known but it is somewhere between 400 to 500 people. Calley was put on trial for murder.

This incident divided the country. People who knew nothing of the specifics thought that Calley was being railroaded. Other people who knew nothing of the specifics thought Calley should be hung. All things become political.

Calley said his commanding officer ordered him to do it. His commanding officer denied it. Calley was convicted. His commanding officer was acquitted. After all the appeals and a presidential order reducing his sentence, Calley wound up serving three years under house arrest. His name and reputation were forever tainted.

While I can’t tell you what constitutes an illegal order, this order, whoever gave it, was obviously illegal, immoral and flies in the face of what the Army is supposed to do. Further evidence of guilt was proved when the higher-ups tried to cover up the incident. If Calley was ordered to do this, it was an illegal order. If Calley ordered his men to do this, it was an illegal order.

In the fog of war, bad things happen. That’s why war is an undesirable state. There is always uncertainty. Uncertainty promotes adrenaline. Once a group of men is engaged in a course of action it is hard to stop. Maybe that is why the punishment for the My Lai Massacre focused on the order givers. The highest order giver who was responsible (the military courts decided) was Calley. I don’t know if that was right or wrong, but he was the one who got the blame.

Star Liner


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All That We See or Seem by Ken Liu

My first experience with cyberpunk as a genre of science fiction was Neuromancer by William Gibson. Neuromancer was one of the early works that defined the cyberpunk genre. It was insanely influential. It won the Hugo Award, the Nebula Award, the Philip K. Dick Award. But for me, it just did not resonate. I had a hard time visualizing the concepts. It left a bad taste in my mouth for cyberpunk. I mostly avoided the genre. Then a couple of years ago I read Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson which is cyberpunk (although some people say it is a parody of cyberpunk). Whatever, I liked it. I recently picked up All That We See or Seem by Ken Liu and it immediately became apparent to me that this was cyberpunk. Julia Z is the main character, and I think this is going to be the start of a series following her. She is a hacker (hence cyberpunk). She has got herself in trouble and so she lives on the margins, barely making it. Then a lawyer asks her for her help. His wife has been kidnapped. The ...

The Linear Nature of Time

    Go Go back Go back to the time before Before you did it Before they did it Before it was done to you Before the toast fell on the floor Before the catastrophe Before the mistake Before time’s scars Before   Go Go back Redeem it Rework it Fix it Go back   No you cannot Go back Star Liner

The Screaming Silence

  As I have mentioned, I worked for two seasons on the Spotted Owl Survey for the US Forest Service back in the day. This involved setting up stations around areas that were scheduled for timber harvesting to see if there were owls nesting there. We would look at a topographic map and see where we needed to put stations (usually along logging roads) so that we could get complete coverage of the area to be harvested. We would go out during the day and mark these stations with ribbons, then at night we would go to each station and “hoot” for ten minutes. If we did not get a response, we would move on to the next station and so on until we could be sure there were no spotted owls in the vicinity. This meant we were working at night in the woods. There is a lot of wildlife activity at night in the woods. It is not just owls, a fair number of wildlife are nocturnal. We saw coyotes, bobcats, cougars, bats, frogs, deer, elk, among other things. But it was not just seeing the wildlife, ...