Skip to main content

Teachers

 


Once upon a time I was going to become a teacher. I did all the training and earned a teaching certificate, but other than some stints as a substitute teacher, I did not use it. I had a hard time getting a full-time job, and by the time my certificate had expired, I had moved on to other things.

Every teacher has undergone the transition from student to teacher. I did my student teaching at Highland High School in Pocatello Idaho. All in all, not a bad school to be doing your student teaching. I remember that I was not much older than the kids I was teaching, but to them, it was like I was from another planet. I was an adult. I was “Mister Branchfield.” I had never heard myself referred to as that. I had to stop myself from laughing the first few times I heard it. It’s like somebody was joking, only they weren’t joking. I was going to be forever Mr. Branchfield from that point on.

Teachers remember what it was like to be sitting in the students’ shoes, but I doubt students ever try to put themselves in their teacher’s shoes. This makes for an uneven gulf.  But I think it is important for teachers to remember being a student, otherwise they would just treat the students like robots.

As a student teacher, I had students that were a joy to teach but other students that made my life hell. Maybe they saw it as their duty to give the teacher a hard time. And being a student teacher, I was an easy mark. My master teacher (the real teacher) gave me some suggestions and we worked through it. But I have to tell you, there were days when I found myself in the restroom with horrible stomach pain, and I thought, this must be what getting an ulcer feels like. I was never diagnosed with an ulcer, but the stress was real. Even though I had some good ideas and some great lesson plans, I don’t think I was ever really cut out to be a teacher.

Which is why I have enormous respect for the people who are cut out to be teachers. Teachers not only have to be educated in the subject they are teaching. They have to be creative in planning lessons. They have to have improvisational skills. They have to be able to read the emotional state of their students, that includes knowing what’s going on in popular teen or preteen culture. They have to be able to maintain control of their classes. They have to recognize crises and act appropriately. They have to deal with whatever restrictions and requirements that have been dumped on them by politicians. And they have to deal with parents.

It takes a special person to be a teacher.

Star Liner

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All That We See or Seem by Ken Liu

My first experience with cyberpunk as a genre of science fiction was Neuromancer by William Gibson. Neuromancer was one of the early works that defined the cyberpunk genre. It was insanely influential. It won the Hugo Award, the Nebula Award, the Philip K. Dick Award. But for me, it just did not resonate. I had a hard time visualizing the concepts. It left a bad taste in my mouth for cyberpunk. I mostly avoided the genre. Then a couple of years ago I read Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson which is cyberpunk (although some people say it is a parody of cyberpunk). Whatever, I liked it. I recently picked up All That We See or Seem by Ken Liu and it immediately became apparent to me that this was cyberpunk. Julia Z is the main character, and I think this is going to be the start of a series following her. She is a hacker (hence cyberpunk). She has got herself in trouble and so she lives on the margins, barely making it. Then a lawyer asks her for her help. His wife has been kidnapped. The ...

The Linear Nature of Time

    Go Go back Go back to the time before Before you did it Before they did it Before it was done to you Before the toast fell on the floor Before the catastrophe Before the mistake Before time’s scars Before   Go Go back Redeem it Rework it Fix it Go back   No you cannot Go back Star Liner

The Screaming Silence

  As I have mentioned, I worked for two seasons on the Spotted Owl Survey for the US Forest Service back in the day. This involved setting up stations around areas that were scheduled for timber harvesting to see if there were owls nesting there. We would look at a topographic map and see where we needed to put stations (usually along logging roads) so that we could get complete coverage of the area to be harvested. We would go out during the day and mark these stations with ribbons, then at night we would go to each station and “hoot” for ten minutes. If we did not get a response, we would move on to the next station and so on until we could be sure there were no spotted owls in the vicinity. This meant we were working at night in the woods. There is a lot of wildlife activity at night in the woods. It is not just owls, a fair number of wildlife are nocturnal. We saw coyotes, bobcats, cougars, bats, frogs, deer, elk, among other things. But it was not just seeing the wildlife, ...