Skip to main content

The Trump Family Christmas, and other ideas


As I may have mentioned before, I do community theater. It is a pastime that mostly keeps me out of trouble. It does take time and work. For me it is fun, but it is also an art form, a craft. Most of those who do it with me take it seriously. We may all be amateurs, but we don’t want to look like amateurs. If we are in a good play (and we do it right), we can affect an audience. We can make them feel something. From an audience perspective, there is really nothing like live theater. It beats movies hands down.

So the other day I was in rehearsal for the next show I am going to be in. It is Shakespeare’s A Midsummer Night’s Dream. I am certain that this production will be unlike any production of MSND that has ever come before. That is mainly because of our director who also adapted the script (meaning she actually rewrote parts of the script) and adapted the music and is also the choreographer, as well as doing the marketing (okay, she is an over achiever). This show is so different because . . . nope . . . sorry, no spoilers here. If you want to know what happens, you will have to buy a ticket. Apologies to those who do not live near Newport, Oregon, USA. Maybe we will talk after it is over.

Anyway, while we were at rehearsal, our director asked me if I was going to be submitting a play for the Christmas show. Several weeks ago a call for submissions went out for one-act plays with a holiday theme that will be put into a show around Christmas. I saw the notice and thought about it for a while, but then I never had any brilliant play ideas flash into my head and it eventually slipped my mind. So when she asked me if I was going to be submitting, I said, “probably not.” She looked at me earnestly and said, “Please do. I only have one script that has come in that I like. There is another one I could use, if I can’t get anything better, and that’s it. All the rest are either terrible or they did not read the guidelines.” So then I am thinking, the need is there; I guess I had better write something. But what? I was still struggling with coming up with an idea when my wife said that she had a Christmas story that she had written years ago; perhaps I could adapt that. So I found her story and read it. It is a lovely story. It is charming. And there is no way that I can see to turn it into a play. Some stories are better left as stories. I have worked on script workshops before and I have seen short stories that have been modified into plays. Sometimes it works, and sometimes no matter how you force it, it just can’t make the transition from story to play, and everyone working on it is in a state of misery until you finally give up.

So I have come up with a start of a new play. At least I have some characters.  I am not sure if it is going anywhere or if I can finish it by the deadline, but I am working on it. But one of the ideas I came up with (and I rejected) would have been titled “The Trump Family Christmas.” The mind boggles at the possibilities of such a play with such a cast of characters. But alas, I don’t think it would fall within the guidelines of the project.  So maybe someone else will write “The Trump Family Christmas” for some other project.

(My novel Starliner, is now available as an ebook through Copypastapublishing.com, or Amazon.com. For those who like to turn physical pages, the paperback will be out in October).

(from a prior production of A Midsummer Night's Dream)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Trip Home

  My wife and I recently returned from a trip to New York to visit my son and his wife. What follows is an excerpt of my notes from that trip. Departure day. So we and the kids (adult kids) leave by 5:30 AM. These “kids” are night owls. They rarely wake before 10:00 if they don’t have to, so we appreciate the sacrifice. Daughter-in-Law (DIL) drove us the 30 minutes to the train station. Hugs and good-byes for her (we love DIL. DIL is an irresistible force). Son navigates us a route to the platform with fewer stairs than the way we came. We get a ticket and get on the train headed for the big city and Grand Central Station. I soon realize that this train is not an express train like the one we took coming out. Instead of taking a little over an hour like we did before, this one would take a little over an hour and a half. We stop at places with names like Cold Springs and Peekskill (on this trip we saw a lot of place names that ended in “kill” including Kaatskill, i.e. Catskill, and

That 70's Decade

  Can a decade become a caricature? My teen years were in the 1970’s and none of us who lived through the 70’s thought our decade was going to be a figure of fun. When you are a part of it, you don’t realize what people are going to make fun of later. I think there are two reasons why people snicker when the 70’s are mentioned: clothing styles and Disco. Both things could be called extensions of trends that started in the 60’s. When the hippy styles of the 60’s became more formalized for the dance floor, the result was (in hindsight) rather bizarre. They did not seem bizarre at the time. People following present fashion trends never understand that they are wearing something that will be laughed at in ten years. Yes, I did have a pair of bell-bottom blue jeans (are they making a comeback?) The mere mention of the 1970’s conjures up someone in a ridiculous pose wearing a disco suit. We who lived through the 70’s just went about our normal life. There were quite a lot of things that ha

Tyranny of the Masses

  I was listening to Benjamin Netanyahu on the radio. He was justifying his change in the law that removed power from the Israeli Supreme Court, saying that it was the will of the people. Majority rules. This made me think of “Tyranny of the masses,” a concept that notes: just because a majority of people are for something, that doesn’t make it right. I am sure you can think of historical examples where the people of a country supported a policy that was demonstrably wrong. When everything is completely governed by majority rule, the rights of the minority can be subverted by the majority. The framers of our American Constitution knew this, and tried to put in some checks and balances into our system of government. This was to guard against all forms of tyranny whether from a dictator, or from tyranny of the masses. One of those checks is that we have a representative government. The people themselves don’t pass laws, but instead elect representatives at the federal and local level t