Skip to main content

Bad Show, but . . .


Ever remember seeing something on television or a movie that was kind of terrible, but kind of intriguing at the same time. Sometimes it can be chalked up to youth. Shows that I thought were great when I was nine or ten, somehow didn’t hold up very well once I reached adulthood. One example of this is the Time Tunnel, an Irwin Allen production. In fact, you can pretty much lump all of Irwin Allen’s 1960’s TV shows into this category. But the Time Tunnel looked awesome to my eight or nine year old eyes. I even learned a bit of history along the way. The show left fond reminiscences in my memories. I probably had not seen an episode in thirty years when I rewatched the pilot a couple of years ago. I made some observations: the show really did look good. One thing I will say for Irwin Allen, he pulled out all the stops to make the special effects realistic and the sets were a thing of beauty. Just look at the design of the tunnel itself. It’s fantastic. The other observation is that the stories kind of suck. The two main protagonists are supposed to be scientists, yet they do things that no scientist would ever do and at times they are dumb as posts. I guess it wasn’t nearly as good as I remembered.


When I was about twelve, I started watching a different show: UFO. The special effects looked cheesy even to my 12 year old eyes. Nowhere near as good as the stuff Irwin Allen churned out. I knew it wasn’t great television, but I still kind of liked it. Though I must admit, what my adolescent brain probably liked most about it was Lieutenant Ellis and the other girls in their sexy uniforms. I recently watched some of the old episodes and had to laugh at the ridiculous dialog and occasional overacting, and yes, the special effects look just as bad today as they did back then.

Then we have another category: A show that I saw as an adult and knew it was bad . . . but still kind of liked it in a bizarre twisted frame of mind. A guilty pleasure, if you will. For an example of this, I choose Lifeforce which came out in 1985. This film had a few things going for it: It had some good actors in it. It had excellent special effects including some cool practical effects. It had stirring music by Henry Mancini (no really, it was superb). But then we come to the down side. As I mentioned, there were good actors in it. Unfortunately that does not include the leads. The word ‘wooden’ comes to mind, but I don’t want to insult trees. The lead actress did not even speak English when filming began, and had to learn her lines phonetically. I guess they thought no one would notice, as she spends most of the movie naked. The plot? I think they had a couple of plot ideas and they couldn’t decide which ones to use so they just threw them all in a blender. I can imagine the production team meetings: “Let’s have space vampires. No, maybe make them zombies. No, let’s have an apocalypse story. A love story? A blood bath? Several blood baths? Oh, that astronaut we had in the first scene . . . let’s bring him back near the end of the movie for no reason. Whatever, as long as we have lots of exploding bodies.” I am not saying I would ever buy this movie, nor will I probably even watch it again, but it does hold a sort of weird fascination.

Some movies are so bad that they are good. Lifeforce does not quite make the cut. By that I mean, it is not bad enough. For that you need to look at the movies of Ed Wood and others like him. His magnum opus: Plan Nine from Outer Space, has been voted the worst movie ever made. When I told my son we were going to watch it, he asked me why on earth you would want to watch the worst movie ever made. I said, “just watch. You’ll understand.” Two minutes in, he was rolling on the floor with laughter. See, I am a good father. I taught my son what was important.

(My novel Star Liner, is now available as an ebook through Copypastapublishing.com, or the other usual online sources. For those who like to turn physical pages, the paperback will be out soon).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Trip Home

  My wife and I recently returned from a trip to New York to visit my son and his wife. What follows is an excerpt of my notes from that trip. Departure day. So we and the kids (adult kids) leave by 5:30 AM. These “kids” are night owls. They rarely wake before 10:00 if they don’t have to, so we appreciate the sacrifice. Daughter-in-Law (DIL) drove us the 30 minutes to the train station. Hugs and good-byes for her (we love DIL. DIL is an irresistible force). Son navigates us a route to the platform with fewer stairs than the way we came. We get a ticket and get on the train headed for the big city and Grand Central Station. I soon realize that this train is not an express train like the one we took coming out. Instead of taking a little over an hour like we did before, this one would take a little over an hour and a half. We stop at places with names like Cold Springs and Peekskill (on this trip we saw a lot of place names that ended in “kill” including Kaatskill, i.e. Catskill, and

That 70's Decade

  Can a decade become a caricature? My teen years were in the 1970’s and none of us who lived through the 70’s thought our decade was going to be a figure of fun. When you are a part of it, you don’t realize what people are going to make fun of later. I think there are two reasons why people snicker when the 70’s are mentioned: clothing styles and Disco. Both things could be called extensions of trends that started in the 60’s. When the hippy styles of the 60’s became more formalized for the dance floor, the result was (in hindsight) rather bizarre. They did not seem bizarre at the time. People following present fashion trends never understand that they are wearing something that will be laughed at in ten years. Yes, I did have a pair of bell-bottom blue jeans (are they making a comeback?) The mere mention of the 1970’s conjures up someone in a ridiculous pose wearing a disco suit. We who lived through the 70’s just went about our normal life. There were quite a lot of things that ha

Tyranny of the Masses

  I was listening to Benjamin Netanyahu on the radio. He was justifying his change in the law that removed power from the Israeli Supreme Court, saying that it was the will of the people. Majority rules. This made me think of “Tyranny of the masses,” a concept that notes: just because a majority of people are for something, that doesn’t make it right. I am sure you can think of historical examples where the people of a country supported a policy that was demonstrably wrong. When everything is completely governed by majority rule, the rights of the minority can be subverted by the majority. The framers of our American Constitution knew this, and tried to put in some checks and balances into our system of government. This was to guard against all forms of tyranny whether from a dictator, or from tyranny of the masses. One of those checks is that we have a representative government. The people themselves don’t pass laws, but instead elect representatives at the federal and local level t