Skip to main content

The Future of Books



What will books look like 50 years from now? We have seen quite a change in the way books are read in the past 15 years or so. More and more people are reading with ereaders of one brand or another.  When my novel came out this summer, the ebook came out first with the paperback to come out in October. It wasn’t my choice; that’s the way the publisher wanted to do it, and  that was okay. But a lot of my friends told me that they would be waiting for the paperback. “I just can’t read on one of those things,” I heard over and over. That is fine with me. I just want people to read my book. I don’t care how they read it.

There are certainly advantages to ebooks over conventional books. They are less expensive. One device can carry hundreds of books. On the other hand, I find, and I know there are others who will agree with me, that paper books are easier on the eyes. Nevertheless, this may be viewed as a generational divide as I suspect ebooks are more likely to be favored by younger readers.  If that’s the case in 50 years when all of the older generation is gone one would think that would also be the end of the traditional book.  Perhaps. Or perhaps people will quit reading altogether and simply listen to audio books. Or perhaps there will be some other technology. Perhaps people of that time will simply take a pill and all the words will just be absorbed into their brains.

50 years ago if you had asked anyone what they thought about the possibility of electronic books they would have told you that they already had electronic books, they were called movies and television. It is hard to predict how technology will change the future. People have been trying to do it for decades and, with a few exceptions, the results are not good. People either can’t imagine change and assume things will stay pretty much the same, or they over-predict (We will have colonies on the Moon and Mars by 1990!)

So with poor track record of predictions in mind, let me predict some things about books in 2068. First: I probably won’t be reading anything by then. Second: I think there will still be people who like to read physical pages. Perhaps those pages won't be on paper, maybe they will be on some other yet to be invented material. And they may not be the majority of book readers. It may be relegated to the few quirky people like me who like to use chopsticks in Chinese restaurants, or people who like to learn Latin, just because. Third: I expect audiobooks will gain a larger share of the market, perhaps even the largest. Not just because of the convenience while doing other tasks, but because people are lazy and getting lazier. They are always looking for ways to get out of doing . . . well anything really. Technology has gradually made life easier over the past 200 years. But in the past 30 years it has accelerated and we increasingly find ourselves being glued to a screen of some sort. You are reading this blog on a screen now. I typed this on a computer. I remember writing stories on a typewriter and even writing things in long-hand. Don’t get me wrong, it’s much easier now (please don't sent me back to writing on a manual typewriter!) But maybe that’s the point, everything is easier now. Maybe we want everything to be too easy.

Anyway, I hope printed books are around 50 years from now. To me it lends a sense of connectedness when you are touching the printed page. Whatever form they are in, books will survive. There will always be something magical about being carried away with a story aided by your own imagination.

(My novel Star Liner, is now available as an ebook through Copypastapublishing.com, or the other usual online sources. For those who like to turn physical pages, the paperback will be out in October).


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Trip Home

  My wife and I recently returned from a trip to New York to visit my son and his wife. What follows is an excerpt of my notes from that trip. Departure day. So we and the kids (adult kids) leave by 5:30 AM. These “kids” are night owls. They rarely wake before 10:00 if they don’t have to, so we appreciate the sacrifice. Daughter-in-Law (DIL) drove us the 30 minutes to the train station. Hugs and good-byes for her (we love DIL. DIL is an irresistible force). Son navigates us a route to the platform with fewer stairs than the way we came. We get a ticket and get on the train headed for the big city and Grand Central Station. I soon realize that this train is not an express train like the one we took coming out. Instead of taking a little over an hour like we did before, this one would take a little over an hour and a half. We stop at places with names like Cold Springs and Peekskill (on this trip we saw a lot of place names that ended in “kill” including Kaatskill, i.e. Catskill, and

That 70's Decade

  Can a decade become a caricature? My teen years were in the 1970’s and none of us who lived through the 70’s thought our decade was going to be a figure of fun. When you are a part of it, you don’t realize what people are going to make fun of later. I think there are two reasons why people snicker when the 70’s are mentioned: clothing styles and Disco. Both things could be called extensions of trends that started in the 60’s. When the hippy styles of the 60’s became more formalized for the dance floor, the result was (in hindsight) rather bizarre. They did not seem bizarre at the time. People following present fashion trends never understand that they are wearing something that will be laughed at in ten years. Yes, I did have a pair of bell-bottom blue jeans (are they making a comeback?) The mere mention of the 1970’s conjures up someone in a ridiculous pose wearing a disco suit. We who lived through the 70’s just went about our normal life. There were quite a lot of things that ha

Tyranny of the Masses

  I was listening to Benjamin Netanyahu on the radio. He was justifying his change in the law that removed power from the Israeli Supreme Court, saying that it was the will of the people. Majority rules. This made me think of “Tyranny of the masses,” a concept that notes: just because a majority of people are for something, that doesn’t make it right. I am sure you can think of historical examples where the people of a country supported a policy that was demonstrably wrong. When everything is completely governed by majority rule, the rights of the minority can be subverted by the majority. The framers of our American Constitution knew this, and tried to put in some checks and balances into our system of government. This was to guard against all forms of tyranny whether from a dictator, or from tyranny of the masses. One of those checks is that we have a representative government. The people themselves don’t pass laws, but instead elect representatives at the federal and local level t