Skip to main content

The Play's the Thing



I think I may have mentioned that I am involved in a playwriting project with my local community theater company. It has to be Christmas themed. As I was casting about for ideas, I came up with one that I believe will follow the guidelines for the project. The play is called “Elevator Time.” Though the title is simple, I like it. It is a nice double entendre. I don’t know yet if they are going to produce my play. Time will tell.

This is actually the fourth play I have written. The other three were all performed by the same theater company. The first two were a part of the Original Scripts project. And the third one was in a project called the 24 Hour Theater (no, the project lasted 24 hours, not the play).

Writing a play is different from writing a novel or a short story. Writing a play is all about dialogue. Playwrights do put some other stuff in there that is not dialogue. That stuff is called stage direction. The thing is, the director and actors are required to hold the dialogue as sacred; they don’t change it. But the stage direction is more like a suggestion. The director may choose to alter it, or come up with something entirely different. So if you are writing a play, the most important thing you put on the page is the dialogue. If you are not good at writing dialogue . . . maybe play writing isn’t for you.

Another way that plays are different is in the matter of control. When writing a novel, you are in complete control of the art that you are producing. Well, an editor may request/require changes. You could even avoid that if you self-published your novel (but you definitely should pay attention to what an editor says!) A play is a much more collaborative effort. The playwright does not (usually) get to be involved in staging, set, or casting decisions. That is the job of the director.  The director has a lot of leeway with regard to his/her interpretation of your play. I have seen a Shakespeare play done in traditional Elizabethan attire and setting, then I saw a different production of the same play that was set in what appeared to be the Viet Nam War. Nobody asked Shakespeare if they could set it in Viet Nam. Of course he is dead. But even living playwrights don’t get much say in how their work will be staged unless they have a lot of clout.

Then, each actor is going to put their own spin on the character. The actor may have limitations that change the way a character acts. The actor may not look even remotely like what the playwright had in mind for the part. Even individual lines can be said an infinite variety of ways.  The playwright was only thinking of one way when he/she wrote it.

So you have the playwright’s words filtered through the director, which are in turn filtered through the actors. A playwright has to accept that this is a collaborative art form. They have to accept the fact that what they are writing is a framework and the end product may be very different from what she/he envisioned. Some people can’t handle that. Some can. I personally find it exciting seeing what the theater company will do with my words.

(My novel Star Liner, is now available as an ebook through Copypastapublishing.com, or the other usual online sources. For those who like to turn physical pages, the paperback will be out in October).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All That We See or Seem by Ken Liu

My first experience with cyberpunk as a genre of science fiction was Neuromancer by William Gibson. Neuromancer was one of the early works that defined the cyberpunk genre. It was insanely influential. It won the Hugo Award, the Nebula Award, the Philip K. Dick Award. But for me, it just did not resonate. I had a hard time visualizing the concepts. It left a bad taste in my mouth for cyberpunk. I mostly avoided the genre. Then a couple of years ago I read Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson which is cyberpunk (although some people say it is a parody of cyberpunk). Whatever, I liked it. I recently picked up All That We See or Seem by Ken Liu and it immediately became apparent to me that this was cyberpunk. Julia Z is the main character, and I think this is going to be the start of a series following her. She is a hacker (hence cyberpunk). She has got herself in trouble and so she lives on the margins, barely making it. Then a lawyer asks her for her help. His wife has been kidnapped. The ...

The Linear Nature of Time

    Go Go back Go back to the time before Before you did it Before they did it Before it was done to you Before the toast fell on the floor Before the catastrophe Before the mistake Before time’s scars Before   Go Go back Redeem it Rework it Fix it Go back   No you cannot Go back Star Liner

The Screaming Silence

  As I have mentioned, I worked for two seasons on the Spotted Owl Survey for the US Forest Service back in the day. This involved setting up stations around areas that were scheduled for timber harvesting to see if there were owls nesting there. We would look at a topographic map and see where we needed to put stations (usually along logging roads) so that we could get complete coverage of the area to be harvested. We would go out during the day and mark these stations with ribbons, then at night we would go to each station and “hoot” for ten minutes. If we did not get a response, we would move on to the next station and so on until we could be sure there were no spotted owls in the vicinity. This meant we were working at night in the woods. There is a lot of wildlife activity at night in the woods. It is not just owls, a fair number of wildlife are nocturnal. We saw coyotes, bobcats, cougars, bats, frogs, deer, elk, among other things. But it was not just seeing the wildlife, ...