Skip to main content

Astronauts!



When I was a little kid, I wanted to be an astronaut. That is not a terribly unique thing. A lot of kids my age wanted to be astronauts. The Space Race was in its infancy. The president had declared we would get a man to the moon by the end of the 1960’s (a target which sent the experts into a mad scramble to figure out how they were going to do that).

America went Astronaut crazy and it was reflected in our popular culture.  I Dream of Jeannie was one of the most popular shows of its time. I watched it not because it had a beautiful genie that could do magic, but because the two main non-magical characters were astronauts (okay, maybe part of it was because of the beautiful genie). Another TV show It’s About Time features two astronauts who go through a time warp and get stuck in the stone age. Even Gilligan’s Island had episodes featuring astronauts and cosmonauts. 

I was into model building when I was a kid so of course I had models of Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo rockets. Did every kid my age have those models, no, but I did because I was going to be an astronaut!

I remember that I could recite all of the astronaut’s names. Hey, some kids could tell you every player on the Yankees; nerdy kids like me could name all the astronauts. I remember that my favorite was Gus Grissom. I can’t tell you even now why he was my favorite. Maybe I just liked the name. I remember being devastated when Gus Grissom died along with Ed White and Roger Chaffee in the Apollo 1 fire. It was one of those moments in childhood when you realize that not everything is always going to work out for the best, that there is such a thing as tragedy.

By 1968 Apollo was back up and running. When Apollo 8 sent back a picture of Earth rising over the moon it was a seminal moment in our collective consciousness. It was Christmas Eve 1968. For a moment we all saw ourselves on a fragile globe without borders. If only the moment had lasted . . . .

Then in 1969 Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin landed on the moon (lest we forget the contribution of Michael Collins who maintained the Command Module while they were down there) and the whole world went wild with celebration. It was not just a USA thing. Humanity had reached another world. It was something everyone from every country could celebrate. But then after a couple of more missions to the moon, America lost interest. We had beat the Russians so everyone was like “been there, done that.” Funding got cut, and that was that. NASA concentrated on Robotic missions, and Skylab and the development of the Space Shuttle. These were less costly endeavors than going to the moon. I really can’t speak for children of the 1970’s, 80’s, or 90’s, but I doubt if many of them followed the astronaut corps like we did in the 60’s. Lots of shuttle missions went up with a whole new batch of astronauts. Some of those missions did some interesting and important things, but it lacked the pizazz of going to the moon. I would like to see us explore Mars and other places, but at this point I think it all needs to be done internationally. It is just too expensive for any one country to do on its own.

The picture above is of Judy Resnik and another astronaut that I don’t recognize. I wanted to show a picture of a female astronaut because women have traditionally been underrepresented in the space program (as they have everywhere else). Judy Resnik was the second American woman in space (after Sally Ride), and later died in the Challenger disaster. Which just goes to show you, when you look at the Challenger disaster, the Columbia disaster, the Apollo 1 disaster, whether you are male or female it takes a hell of a lot of guts to go into space. I am not sure that is something my six year-old self fully appreciated.

(My novel Star Liner, is now available as an ebook through Copypastapublishing.com, or the other usual online sources. For those who like to turn physical pages, the paperback will be out soon).


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Trip Home

  My wife and I recently returned from a trip to New York to visit my son and his wife. What follows is an excerpt of my notes from that trip. Departure day. So we and the kids (adult kids) leave by 5:30 AM. These “kids” are night owls. They rarely wake before 10:00 if they don’t have to, so we appreciate the sacrifice. Daughter-in-Law (DIL) drove us the 30 minutes to the train station. Hugs and good-byes for her (we love DIL. DIL is an irresistible force). Son navigates us a route to the platform with fewer stairs than the way we came. We get a ticket and get on the train headed for the big city and Grand Central Station. I soon realize that this train is not an express train like the one we took coming out. Instead of taking a little over an hour like we did before, this one would take a little over an hour and a half. We stop at places with names like Cold Springs and Peekskill (on this trip we saw a lot of place names that ended in “kill” including Kaatskill, i.e. Catskill, and

That 70's Decade

  Can a decade become a caricature? My teen years were in the 1970’s and none of us who lived through the 70’s thought our decade was going to be a figure of fun. When you are a part of it, you don’t realize what people are going to make fun of later. I think there are two reasons why people snicker when the 70’s are mentioned: clothing styles and Disco. Both things could be called extensions of trends that started in the 60’s. When the hippy styles of the 60’s became more formalized for the dance floor, the result was (in hindsight) rather bizarre. They did not seem bizarre at the time. People following present fashion trends never understand that they are wearing something that will be laughed at in ten years. Yes, I did have a pair of bell-bottom blue jeans (are they making a comeback?) The mere mention of the 1970’s conjures up someone in a ridiculous pose wearing a disco suit. We who lived through the 70’s just went about our normal life. There were quite a lot of things that ha

Tyranny of the Masses

  I was listening to Benjamin Netanyahu on the radio. He was justifying his change in the law that removed power from the Israeli Supreme Court, saying that it was the will of the people. Majority rules. This made me think of “Tyranny of the masses,” a concept that notes: just because a majority of people are for something, that doesn’t make it right. I am sure you can think of historical examples where the people of a country supported a policy that was demonstrably wrong. When everything is completely governed by majority rule, the rights of the minority can be subverted by the majority. The framers of our American Constitution knew this, and tried to put in some checks and balances into our system of government. This was to guard against all forms of tyranny whether from a dictator, or from tyranny of the masses. One of those checks is that we have a representative government. The people themselves don’t pass laws, but instead elect representatives at the federal and local level t