Skip to main content

Naiveté



First, let me say that I am a white man. You could say that I am the very epitome of a WASP. This has led to a somewhat sheltered view of the world, when it comes to racism.

As a child growing up in the 1960’s. I couldn’t help but notice what was happening in our country, the marches, the Civil Rights Act etc. I was not paying that much attention to the news at my age, but still, you couldn’t help but notice that change was happening. My family, being the family that it was, celebrated that change. My father was actually an active participant, helping to get sundown laws struck off the books in our community. Change was happening, there was no mistaking it.

There is an episode of Star Trek (the original series) called “Plato’s Stepchildren.” Kirk and company beam down to a planet where the inhabitants have developed psychic powers. Except one of the inhabitants is a dwarf named Alexander who has no such powers. Alexander has been pushed around and is tantamount to a slave for all the others. When Kirk, Spock and McCoy beam down, Alexander is fascinated that they have no such powers. He asks them:

Alexander: . . .Listen, where you come from, are there a lot of people without the power and my size?

Kirk: Alexander, where I come from, size, shape and color makes no difference, and nobody has the power.

That’s the goal. That is the world we would like to eventually see. And even though I knew that pockets of racism still existed, I thought we were slowly inexorably making progress toward that Star Trek world. The events of the past decade have shown me how naïve I was. It is because I am a white male that I have not seen what was going on. American racism was for the most part, hidden. The laws that were passed, and the constant barrage of people saying the right things, kept the racist elements from showing their faces too much.

Then we elected a black president. That really pissed off a lot of racists, so much so that they suddenly did not care anymore if it was bad form to be racist in public. Then we elected some leaders who did not like to criticize racists, and that was like pouring gasoline onto a fire. Racists felt like they had permission. Oh, they might get some criticism, but it would be weak, namby-pamby criticism.

What I have come to realize is that we are not on that glide path to the Star Trek world. Racism is alive and well and festering in America (and not just America, as events around the world have shown). But being a white male I couldn’t see it before. I did not experience the world like minorities did. I have been pulled over for a broken tail light. It never occurred to me that for some people in this situation, they had to worry if they were going to survive this encounter with the police. I never had to worry about being reported as a “suspicious character” in a store, or in a neighborhood. If I walk out of a department store and set off the security alarm, no one comes up to frisk me or call the police. What would happen if I were black or Hispanic? You know what would happen.

Yes, we passed some laws. But laws don’t end racism. Vigilance and education are what’s needed. Prejudice mostly stems from fear and ignorance. You don’t become racist because you came to that conclusion through reason and logic. You become racist because you were brought up that way. Or something happens that causes fear. One Muslim may explode a bomb that kills a bunch of people, and suddenly all Muslims are evil. Never mind the fact there are millions of Muslims who wouldn’t hurt a soul, or the fact that, in this country you are more likely to be killed by a Christian. Like I said, logic has nothing to do it.

So what is the solution? I don’t know. I do not suggest putting your life in danger by trying to argue with a racist whacko nut job (though you should safely report them if they appear to be a danger). We can speak up if we hear a friend or colleague say something that is racially insensitive. Let them know that it is not appreciated. At the very least, we don’t laugh (out of politeness) at their jokes. Pay attention to what is going on around you. Be as inclusive in your own life as you can be. Try not to use their methods. Don’t hate. Educate.

I am an optimist by nature, so I believe that we will get there someday. But the past decade has shown me, we have a long way to go. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All That We See or Seem by Ken Liu

My first experience with cyberpunk as a genre of science fiction was Neuromancer by William Gibson. Neuromancer was one of the early works that defined the cyberpunk genre. It was insanely influential. It won the Hugo Award, the Nebula Award, the Philip K. Dick Award. But for me, it just did not resonate. I had a hard time visualizing the concepts. It left a bad taste in my mouth for cyberpunk. I mostly avoided the genre. Then a couple of years ago I read Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson which is cyberpunk (although some people say it is a parody of cyberpunk). Whatever, I liked it. I recently picked up All That We See or Seem by Ken Liu and it immediately became apparent to me that this was cyberpunk. Julia Z is the main character, and I think this is going to be the start of a series following her. She is a hacker (hence cyberpunk). She has got herself in trouble and so she lives on the margins, barely making it. Then a lawyer asks her for her help. His wife has been kidnapped. The ...

The Linear Nature of Time

    Go Go back Go back to the time before Before you did it Before they did it Before it was done to you Before the toast fell on the floor Before the catastrophe Before the mistake Before time’s scars Before   Go Go back Redeem it Rework it Fix it Go back   No you cannot Go back Star Liner

The Screaming Silence

  As I have mentioned, I worked for two seasons on the Spotted Owl Survey for the US Forest Service back in the day. This involved setting up stations around areas that were scheduled for timber harvesting to see if there were owls nesting there. We would look at a topographic map and see where we needed to put stations (usually along logging roads) so that we could get complete coverage of the area to be harvested. We would go out during the day and mark these stations with ribbons, then at night we would go to each station and “hoot” for ten minutes. If we did not get a response, we would move on to the next station and so on until we could be sure there were no spotted owls in the vicinity. This meant we were working at night in the woods. There is a lot of wildlife activity at night in the woods. It is not just owls, a fair number of wildlife are nocturnal. We saw coyotes, bobcats, cougars, bats, frogs, deer, elk, among other things. But it was not just seeing the wildlife, ...