Skip to main content

Digital Watches and Calculators



Back when I was in Junior High School in the early 1970’s, my father bought our first hand-help calculator. It was a Texas Instruments TI-2500 Datamath, and I remember it cost about $60. That is equivalent to about $350 in 2019 dollars, so purchasing it was no small thing. It was not something every family could afford. It was a novelty and I thought it was so cool that we now had a “computer” (yes, that’s what we called it). I actually still have that old TI-2500 Datamath and it is pictured here. Within a few years, new companies were making calculators. The price dropped like a rock, and soon everyone had one. I even bought one with my own money to use in my high school chemistry class. I think it cost about $6 and did twice as much as our old $60 one did. The novelty was gone.

Around the same time digital watches were coming on the scene. Like the calculator, digital watches quickly dropped in price to where they were affordable and everyone had to have one. Douglas Adams in his wonderful novel “The Hitchhiker’s guide to the Galaxy” noted that earthlings were looked down upon by other races because humans still thought digital watches were a really neat idea.

As calculators became affordable, detractors started popping up. The arguement went something like this: kids won't learn how to do math if all they have to do is push a button. It will be the downfall of civilization. Other detractors came out against digital watches. If the watch just tell us the time, then kids will never learn how to read a clock. How will they ever learn the concept of “clockwise” and “counterclockwise?” It will be the downfall of civilization.

Well, all this time later, I think most kids still come out of school able to do basic math. And while digital watches and clocks are still around, they never really supplanted the standard clock face. Civilization has survived.

Over the years other innovations have come out that have had some observers worried about our existence: the personal computer, video games, the internet, Facebook, the iPhone/iPad. I will admit that sometimes civilization seems a bit frayed at the edges, but so far we have survived. Let’s not forget that the same kind of detractors railed against television and even radio when they first came out. For that matter, I have no doubt that there were some ancient Greeks and Romans who thought that theater would be the downfall of humanity.

It is true that all new technology needs to be used judiciously and responsibly: you shouldn’t use a video game as your babysitter. All new devices and applications have the capacity for abuse. I think the big rush to develop self-driving cars is because too many drivers can’t be bothered to put their smart phones down. But we should not fear new technology just because it is new. The next big new thing will come, and the next, and the next. Last decade’s science fiction is this decade’s commonplace device. People don’t like change, but we live in a world where change is constant. So learn to adapt.

But seriously, if you are driving . . . Put your [expletive deleted] iPhone down.

(My novel Star Liner, is now available as an ebook through Copypastapublishing.com, Amazon, or the other usual online sources. For those who like to turn physical pages, the paperback will be out soon).

link to Star Liner

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All That We See or Seem by Ken Liu

My first experience with cyberpunk as a genre of science fiction was Neuromancer by William Gibson. Neuromancer was one of the early works that defined the cyberpunk genre. It was insanely influential. It won the Hugo Award, the Nebula Award, the Philip K. Dick Award. But for me, it just did not resonate. I had a hard time visualizing the concepts. It left a bad taste in my mouth for cyberpunk. I mostly avoided the genre. Then a couple of years ago I read Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson which is cyberpunk (although some people say it is a parody of cyberpunk). Whatever, I liked it. I recently picked up All That We See or Seem by Ken Liu and it immediately became apparent to me that this was cyberpunk. Julia Z is the main character, and I think this is going to be the start of a series following her. She is a hacker (hence cyberpunk). She has got herself in trouble and so she lives on the margins, barely making it. Then a lawyer asks her for her help. His wife has been kidnapped. The ...

The Linear Nature of Time

    Go Go back Go back to the time before Before you did it Before they did it Before it was done to you Before the toast fell on the floor Before the catastrophe Before the mistake Before time’s scars Before   Go Go back Redeem it Rework it Fix it Go back   No you cannot Go back Star Liner

The Screaming Silence

  As I have mentioned, I worked for two seasons on the Spotted Owl Survey for the US Forest Service back in the day. This involved setting up stations around areas that were scheduled for timber harvesting to see if there were owls nesting there. We would look at a topographic map and see where we needed to put stations (usually along logging roads) so that we could get complete coverage of the area to be harvested. We would go out during the day and mark these stations with ribbons, then at night we would go to each station and “hoot” for ten minutes. If we did not get a response, we would move on to the next station and so on until we could be sure there were no spotted owls in the vicinity. This meant we were working at night in the woods. There is a lot of wildlife activity at night in the woods. It is not just owls, a fair number of wildlife are nocturnal. We saw coyotes, bobcats, cougars, bats, frogs, deer, elk, among other things. But it was not just seeing the wildlife, ...