Skip to main content

Circuitous Routes



Every once and a while I am struck by the journey that leads us to where we wind up. Education and experience have long lasting and sometimes unexpected results.

When I took algebra in high school, I learned about SOH-CAH-TOA. This is a mnemonic that helps you find missing information about a right triangle, if you know some of the information. For example the “SOH” in the mnemonic stands for Sine (of the angle) equals the Opposite divided by the Adjacent, where the opposite and adjacent are the lengths of two of the sides of the triangle. This is one of those things you learn in school where you say “okay I will learn it for the test, but I am never going to use this in my life.” Then at one point in my life I went to work for a surveyor’s office. Surveyors usually deal in horizontal distances. So if the deed or the survey says that going from point A to point B is 100 feet long, that means it is 100 feet horizontally. If it is steep, you may measure 120 feet on the ground from point A to point B, but when you remove the slope and just measure it as if it were flat, it is 100 feet. It was pointed out to me that we can easily measure the slope distance, and we can easily measure the angle of the slope. With these two pieces of information we can either calculate the elevation difference, or the horizontal distance using SOH-CAH-TOA. Suddenly that tiny piece of high school geometry came flooding back to me. Wow. It’s actually useful!

I have mentioned here before that I like to act in local theater productions, sometimes even writing for them or directing them. It has become an important hobby or artistic expression for me. But I never acted in high school or college. People find it odd that I did not try out for my first play till I was in my thirties. It wasn’t actually my first play. Way back in sixth grade our school did a production of Peter Pan. I don’t remember exactly how I got roped into this but that fact that my best friend Richard wanted to play Captain Hook probably had something to do with it. I tended to want to do whatever he wanted to do. He got the part of Captain Hook and I got Smee, the captain’s first mate. This was fine for me as Smee was a fairly small role and I didn’t really know what I was doing. When we did our first performance I got a big laugh. I had given Smee a funny nasal voice, and the crowd, particularly the younger kids, were eating it up. I got a rush from this experience that I was not expecting. To do something that made an audience laugh; it was exhilarating.

A couple of years later, I was in a junior High production of Dracula. I played a guard at the sanitarium; another small part. I gave my character a Cockney accent, and people laughed. There was that feeling again. Wow! Despite that feeling, it was another twenty years before I tried out for another play. I don’t know, as I got to be an older kid and then young adult, maybe the stakes seemed higher. Making a fool of myself seemed more a probability than getting a positive reaction. I stayed a fan of theater, but couldn’t make myself try it out. Finally after some prodding from my wife, I did it. I auditioned for a production in one of our local community theater groups. I got a part. It turns out that I had learned some things all those years earlier. Funny voices are . .  . funny. Project. Get into the character’s head. Learn your lines, but be ready to think on your feet. Just a few things, but enough to get me in the door (that and the fact that not very many people auditioned for the play).  Oh, I had a LOT yet to learn. I was by no means an accomplished actor, but I had the good fortune in my first couple of plays as an adult, to be directed by wonderful directors who had studied the craft of theater and gave me as good an education as I was likely to find anywhere.

When you are learning a particular lesson, you never know if or when it is going to pop up again in your life. Our life paths cross and crisscross the lessons we learn along the way. Even when something seems unimportant or boring, fate can throw it into your path. I guess if I could tell my younger self something, it would be: pay attention!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Trip Home

  My wife and I recently returned from a trip to New York to visit my son and his wife. What follows is an excerpt of my notes from that trip. Departure day. So we and the kids (adult kids) leave by 5:30 AM. These “kids” are night owls. They rarely wake before 10:00 if they don’t have to, so we appreciate the sacrifice. Daughter-in-Law (DIL) drove us the 30 minutes to the train station. Hugs and good-byes for her (we love DIL. DIL is an irresistible force). Son navigates us a route to the platform with fewer stairs than the way we came. We get a ticket and get on the train headed for the big city and Grand Central Station. I soon realize that this train is not an express train like the one we took coming out. Instead of taking a little over an hour like we did before, this one would take a little over an hour and a half. We stop at places with names like Cold Springs and Peekskill (on this trip we saw a lot of place names that ended in “kill” including Kaatskill, i.e. Catskill, and

That 70's Decade

  Can a decade become a caricature? My teen years were in the 1970’s and none of us who lived through the 70’s thought our decade was going to be a figure of fun. When you are a part of it, you don’t realize what people are going to make fun of later. I think there are two reasons why people snicker when the 70’s are mentioned: clothing styles and Disco. Both things could be called extensions of trends that started in the 60’s. When the hippy styles of the 60’s became more formalized for the dance floor, the result was (in hindsight) rather bizarre. They did not seem bizarre at the time. People following present fashion trends never understand that they are wearing something that will be laughed at in ten years. Yes, I did have a pair of bell-bottom blue jeans (are they making a comeback?) The mere mention of the 1970’s conjures up someone in a ridiculous pose wearing a disco suit. We who lived through the 70’s just went about our normal life. There were quite a lot of things that ha

Tyranny of the Masses

  I was listening to Benjamin Netanyahu on the radio. He was justifying his change in the law that removed power from the Israeli Supreme Court, saying that it was the will of the people. Majority rules. This made me think of “Tyranny of the masses,” a concept that notes: just because a majority of people are for something, that doesn’t make it right. I am sure you can think of historical examples where the people of a country supported a policy that was demonstrably wrong. When everything is completely governed by majority rule, the rights of the minority can be subverted by the majority. The framers of our American Constitution knew this, and tried to put in some checks and balances into our system of government. This was to guard against all forms of tyranny whether from a dictator, or from tyranny of the masses. One of those checks is that we have a representative government. The people themselves don’t pass laws, but instead elect representatives at the federal and local level t