Skip to main content

On the Fringes of TV



The series Fringe ran on Fox television from 2008 to 2013. It was a science fiction show about FBI agents investigating other worldly technology and events. When I tried explaining that to a friend he said, “so you mean like The X-Files?” And I am like No, it’s not like X-Files . . .  Okay I guess it does kind of sound like it. But it really was not like The X-Files. First of all it was different in tone. X-Files had a darker, atmospheric tone to it. To me it felt like Fringe was a bit more grounded in the real world. (If I can say that with a straight face about a show with parallel dimensions, teleportation, creatures who could stop or alter time, and a mad scientist who insisted a live cow reside in their Harvard laboratory . . .  but it felt more grounded to me.) Also Fringe felt like it was going somewhere. The mystery was slowly revealed and eventually resolved. With The X-Files (much as I loved the show) it always felt like we were falling down the rabbit hole each week. One mystery led to another. You just knew that Mulder was never going to find out what happened to his sister.

Fringe had a great cast with outstanding performances by John Noble, Lance Reddick, Anna Torv, and Joshua Jackson, among others (not to mention Leonard Nimoy). There was nothing trite or predictable about the show. The stories would veer into unexpected territory. In one episode, all of a sudden,  the series jumped ahead about 25 years with new characters, and I was thinking, okay, this is a one-off episode and they will eventually find a way to get back to our present day. But no, they stayed in that time frame to the end of the series, and they made it work.

Fringe was probably the last series TV show that I watched entirely on its broadcast dates. Due to the advent of streaming services and DVD’s, I now tend to watch shows whenever I want to and not on their actual air date. This allows you (after it is available) to binge-watch a show once you are hooked on it. Yeah, that is not necessarily a good thing, but the point is I don’t have to wait a week (or longer) between episodes, nor do I have to worry about missing an episode. The ability to stream shows was already becoming available during the run of Fringe, but I was hooked. I had to wait for each episode to come out.

That thing about not missing an episode is kind of a big deal. I remember when the first season of 24 came out and I watched every episode . . . except the last one. For some reason I was not able to be home that night and I missed the episode that resolved the whole season. There was no streaming back then. The only way to see a missed episode was to wait for summer reruns, or for it to come out on video (VHS probably). By the time it came out on video, the ending had been spoiled for me and I didn’t care anymore. It sort of ruined the whole season for me. The old days have their charm and sense of community (your friend might ask, “did you see what they did on Seinfeld last night?”). But I did miss at least one episode of Fringe because I wasn’t home on Friday(?) night.  I do prefer being able to watch my shows, in the proper order, and when I want to.

(My novel Star Liner, is now available as an e-book through Amazon, or the other usual online sources. For those who like to turn physical pages, the paperback will be out soon).

Link to Star Liner

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All That We See or Seem by Ken Liu

My first experience with cyberpunk as a genre of science fiction was Neuromancer by William Gibson. Neuromancer was one of the early works that defined the cyberpunk genre. It was insanely influential. It won the Hugo Award, the Nebula Award, the Philip K. Dick Award. But for me, it just did not resonate. I had a hard time visualizing the concepts. It left a bad taste in my mouth for cyberpunk. I mostly avoided the genre. Then a couple of years ago I read Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson which is cyberpunk (although some people say it is a parody of cyberpunk). Whatever, I liked it. I recently picked up All That We See or Seem by Ken Liu and it immediately became apparent to me that this was cyberpunk. Julia Z is the main character, and I think this is going to be the start of a series following her. She is a hacker (hence cyberpunk). She has got herself in trouble and so she lives on the margins, barely making it. Then a lawyer asks her for her help. His wife has been kidnapped. The ...

The Linear Nature of Time

    Go Go back Go back to the time before Before you did it Before they did it Before it was done to you Before the toast fell on the floor Before the catastrophe Before the mistake Before time’s scars Before   Go Go back Redeem it Rework it Fix it Go back   No you cannot Go back Star Liner

The Screaming Silence

  As I have mentioned, I worked for two seasons on the Spotted Owl Survey for the US Forest Service back in the day. This involved setting up stations around areas that were scheduled for timber harvesting to see if there were owls nesting there. We would look at a topographic map and see where we needed to put stations (usually along logging roads) so that we could get complete coverage of the area to be harvested. We would go out during the day and mark these stations with ribbons, then at night we would go to each station and “hoot” for ten minutes. If we did not get a response, we would move on to the next station and so on until we could be sure there were no spotted owls in the vicinity. This meant we were working at night in the woods. There is a lot of wildlife activity at night in the woods. It is not just owls, a fair number of wildlife are nocturnal. We saw coyotes, bobcats, cougars, bats, frogs, deer, elk, among other things. But it was not just seeing the wildlife, ...