Skip to main content

Book Covers



One of the most important things that affect the marketing of a book is the cover art. That’s what people see. It is supposed to catch the eye and make a person go, “hey, what’s this?” There are a lot of different schools of thought about what a cover should look like. Some people opt for extreme simplicity, like just a solid color with the title. There are artistic reasons for going with simplicity, and as long as it is an artistic reason that is driving it (and not a financial one) that is fine. It’s all art anyway, the novel and the cover. Other people go for a showy, eye-catching cover.

In the realm of science fiction and fantasy books there have been some wonderful covers and cover artists over the years. The Hugo Awards started giving awards to artists in 1958. Prominent cover artists include Frank Frazetta, Kelly Freas, Boris Vallejo, Michael Whelan, and many others who are giants in their field, but whom the public may not know by name (though they probably know their art).

In the early pulp fiction days of science fiction, covers often included a B.E.M. (Bug-Eyed Monster. It happened often enough that people came up with an acronym for it.) We may look at those covers today and think they were kind of cheesy, but hey, people back then were trying to capture attention, and nothing catches your eye like a good B.E.M. They eventually became a cliché and artists quit putting them on covers.

I have come to realize that I am in the same boat as many readers of the genre. There are many iconic covers that I can recall, but I have no idea who did the covers. Some of the covers I had to research:  Hogan’s Inherit the Stars (Darrel K. Sweet), Heinlein’s The Moon is a Harsh Mistress (Carl Lundgren), Le Guin’s The Left Hand of Darkness (Alex Ebel), and Varley’s collection The Persistence of Vision (Jim Burns). As I was looking into this, I noticed that many of the older books in my collection do not even list who did the cover. That seems a shame. Artists (all artist) have a hard enough time without being uncredited. Try it. Go to your bookcase (if you still have such a thing) and pick out your favorite science fiction or fantasy book and see if they give credit to the cover artist. 

When my novel Star Liner came out, the publisher found a cover for the eBook. It was kind of a retro-looking image and worked fine for the eBook, but when I went to get the book published in paperback, I wanted something different on the cover. Through a mutual acquaintance I was put in touch with Mary Madewell (marymadewell.com). We talked about my ideas for the cover and she sent some preliminary sketches. I told her what I liked and made some suggestion, and she made some suggestions. It was a nice collaboration that still left me in control. In the end, she came up with a cover for me that I liked very much. From the basic colors to the font, it all has to work together. I count myself fortunate because finding the right cover can be a challenge. I made sure that she got the cover art credit in my book.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Trip Home

  My wife and I recently returned from a trip to New York to visit my son and his wife. What follows is an excerpt of my notes from that trip. Departure day. So we and the kids (adult kids) leave by 5:30 AM. These “kids” are night owls. They rarely wake before 10:00 if they don’t have to, so we appreciate the sacrifice. Daughter-in-Law (DIL) drove us the 30 minutes to the train station. Hugs and good-byes for her (we love DIL. DIL is an irresistible force). Son navigates us a route to the platform with fewer stairs than the way we came. We get a ticket and get on the train headed for the big city and Grand Central Station. I soon realize that this train is not an express train like the one we took coming out. Instead of taking a little over an hour like we did before, this one would take a little over an hour and a half. We stop at places with names like Cold Springs and Peekskill (on this trip we saw a lot of place names that ended in “kill” including Kaatskill, i.e. Catskill, and

That 70's Decade

  Can a decade become a caricature? My teen years were in the 1970’s and none of us who lived through the 70’s thought our decade was going to be a figure of fun. When you are a part of it, you don’t realize what people are going to make fun of later. I think there are two reasons why people snicker when the 70’s are mentioned: clothing styles and Disco. Both things could be called extensions of trends that started in the 60’s. When the hippy styles of the 60’s became more formalized for the dance floor, the result was (in hindsight) rather bizarre. They did not seem bizarre at the time. People following present fashion trends never understand that they are wearing something that will be laughed at in ten years. Yes, I did have a pair of bell-bottom blue jeans (are they making a comeback?) The mere mention of the 1970’s conjures up someone in a ridiculous pose wearing a disco suit. We who lived through the 70’s just went about our normal life. There were quite a lot of things that ha

Tyranny of the Masses

  I was listening to Benjamin Netanyahu on the radio. He was justifying his change in the law that removed power from the Israeli Supreme Court, saying that it was the will of the people. Majority rules. This made me think of “Tyranny of the masses,” a concept that notes: just because a majority of people are for something, that doesn’t make it right. I am sure you can think of historical examples where the people of a country supported a policy that was demonstrably wrong. When everything is completely governed by majority rule, the rights of the minority can be subverted by the majority. The framers of our American Constitution knew this, and tried to put in some checks and balances into our system of government. This was to guard against all forms of tyranny whether from a dictator, or from tyranny of the masses. One of those checks is that we have a representative government. The people themselves don’t pass laws, but instead elect representatives at the federal and local level t