Skip to main content

Security




As I may have mentioned, my wife and I just got back from a once in a lifetime trip to Europe. Anyone who travels nowadays has the joys of dealing with airport security (not that I begrudge airport security. We all have our jobs to do, and it helps keep us safe. That doesn’t mean I have to like going through it). We went through a security line of some sort or another no less than eight times on this trip. That’s not counting the little scanners in stores and miscellaneous places. The following is the security adventure we went through at Edinburg Airport:

First you have to stand in line waiting for your chance to go through the line. When it comes your turn, they want you to move it, move it, move it! I got a bin for my carry-on suitcase and another for my backpack, coat, and hat. They told me to put my passport in the bin as well. I was about to step away when I realized I still had my cell phone in my pocket. I quickly put it in my wife’s bin with her purse. She went through the scanner okay. But not so for me. “Take your shoes off and go through the red line,” an officer told me. I realized I had forgot about my watch, so I took that off. I got in the “red” line. Meanwhile my wife was through and had to gather up all her stuff and mine. I could see her, but she didn’t see me, and I could not tell her where I was. I hoped she wouldn’t worry. I had to wait behind several people going through this larger scanner. There was an old lady with a cane that had to go through three or four times before she got the all clear. I finally made it through the other scanner okay and found my wife who told me my suitcase didn’t pass. It had been shunted off to another line. She told me to watch all the rest of our stuff while she dealt with the errant bag. One of the workers went through my bag, took all the lotions, and toothpaste and similar stuff and put them in a plastic bag. I could almost hear him going, “tsk, tsk.” Yes, I should have known these items needed to be put in a plastic bag, but this was like our fourth security check, and no one had said anything about it until now.
They checked everything and then released us. Then my wife said, “I don’t know where my passport is.” Slightly panicked, we found a seat and she went through her purse. They had rushed us through so fast and she had been frantically collecting our things, and she didn’t remember. Then she found it. Whew! She looked up at me and said, “where is your passport?” I said it was in the bin with the backpack, but she did not remember picking it up. A bit more panic. She looked through her purse. No dice. I went to one of the attendants and told him I was missing my passport. From the expression on his face I could tell he considered this a very big deal. That was a good thing, because it meant he was taking it seriously. It was also a bad thing because . . . this was a very big deal. He asked the other officers if a passport had been found. When they said no, he went off down the line, looking. Just about the time he got completely out of earshot, my wife found it (in her purse). I found another attendant to tell the first that we had found it. Everyone was relieved.  I went back to my wife. She said, “here is yours with your boarding pass, but where is my boarding pass?” Yet more panic, but by now I was beginning to have confidence that she would find it in her purse. We took a moment to sit down. More frantic searching, and then she did find it (yes, in her purse). Whew! Finally we could settle down, Heart rates gradually returned to normal.

My wife had bought a new large purse for this trip which was both a blessing and a curse. It was a blessing because she could stuff lots of random things in it, especially when we were trying to free up our hands. A curse because, well, as you have seen, needful items could disappear into the 5th dimension for a while, only to reappear later leaving her red-faced.

As I said, I recognize that security is a necessary part of the world we live in. I can only hope that it will get better someday. But I do have respect for TSA workers. Like one woman I saw with a loud booming voice who could make herself heard over the din of the airport, and who was smiling, helpful, and encouraging even though you know she had to have had her share of rude and unruly passengers that day. You madam, are a rock star.

(My novel Star Liner, is now available in paperback or as an e-book through Amazon, or the other usual online sources)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Trip Home

  My wife and I recently returned from a trip to New York to visit my son and his wife. What follows is an excerpt of my notes from that trip. Departure day. So we and the kids (adult kids) leave by 5:30 AM. These “kids” are night owls. They rarely wake before 10:00 if they don’t have to, so we appreciate the sacrifice. Daughter-in-Law (DIL) drove us the 30 minutes to the train station. Hugs and good-byes for her (we love DIL. DIL is an irresistible force). Son navigates us a route to the platform with fewer stairs than the way we came. We get a ticket and get on the train headed for the big city and Grand Central Station. I soon realize that this train is not an express train like the one we took coming out. Instead of taking a little over an hour like we did before, this one would take a little over an hour and a half. We stop at places with names like Cold Springs and Peekskill (on this trip we saw a lot of place names that ended in “kill” including Kaatskill, i.e. Catskill, and

That 70's Decade

  Can a decade become a caricature? My teen years were in the 1970’s and none of us who lived through the 70’s thought our decade was going to be a figure of fun. When you are a part of it, you don’t realize what people are going to make fun of later. I think there are two reasons why people snicker when the 70’s are mentioned: clothing styles and Disco. Both things could be called extensions of trends that started in the 60’s. When the hippy styles of the 60’s became more formalized for the dance floor, the result was (in hindsight) rather bizarre. They did not seem bizarre at the time. People following present fashion trends never understand that they are wearing something that will be laughed at in ten years. Yes, I did have a pair of bell-bottom blue jeans (are they making a comeback?) The mere mention of the 1970’s conjures up someone in a ridiculous pose wearing a disco suit. We who lived through the 70’s just went about our normal life. There were quite a lot of things that ha

Tyranny of the Masses

  I was listening to Benjamin Netanyahu on the radio. He was justifying his change in the law that removed power from the Israeli Supreme Court, saying that it was the will of the people. Majority rules. This made me think of “Tyranny of the masses,” a concept that notes: just because a majority of people are for something, that doesn’t make it right. I am sure you can think of historical examples where the people of a country supported a policy that was demonstrably wrong. When everything is completely governed by majority rule, the rights of the minority can be subverted by the majority. The framers of our American Constitution knew this, and tried to put in some checks and balances into our system of government. This was to guard against all forms of tyranny whether from a dictator, or from tyranny of the masses. One of those checks is that we have a representative government. The people themselves don’t pass laws, but instead elect representatives at the federal and local level t