Skip to main content

Shirley Jackson




I decided to write about Shirley Jackson, not that I have read a ton of her stuff, but that which I have read has had an impact on me. When I say I haven’t read a lot of her stuff, that is partly because she didn’t write a whole lot of stuff. Just 6 novels. Her short stories might be a better representation. She wrote over 200 of them.

 Who is Shirley Jackson, some of you are asking? She is an author from the 1950’s and 60’s (she died in 1965). Her influence on such writers as Stephen king is obvious. She did write horror stories, but not exclusively horror stories. Yet many of her stories, even some of her non-horror ones, had a certain creepy feel to them. That did not stop her from being witty and humorous at times.  Her most famous novel was The Haunting of Hill House which has been made into a couple of movies and a television series. It has been called the best ghost story ever written. Another novel, the dark mystery, We Have always Lived in the Castle, was made into a play and a movie.

But one work that surpasses even these, is a little short story she wrote in 1948 called The Lottery. It is frequently on lists of the best short stories ever written. You may have read it in school. If you haven’t, I wont spoil it for you: go read it. Stories like it have been written since, but I don’t think anybody had ever written anything like it before. This is why it had such an impact. I saw a short film adaptation of The Lottery when I was in school and it stuck with me ever after.

Some of her stories have held up better than others. I just finished reading Hangsaman which was written in 1951. I felt it was a story where not much happened. Some events in the story would have been shocking to a 1951 audience, but are not very shocking to a 21st Century audience. Still, even in one of her lesser works like this, the characters are well-drawn and she pulls you into the main character’s life. And her stories are thought-provoking, not always wrapping up each question with a nice tidy answer. 

If you are unfamiliar with Jackson, I encourage you to give her a try, especially if you like things a little on the dark side. She deserves to be read.

(My novel Star Liner, is now available in paperback or as an e-book through Amazon and other online sources)


Link to Star Liner

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All That We See or Seem by Ken Liu

My first experience with cyberpunk as a genre of science fiction was Neuromancer by William Gibson. Neuromancer was one of the early works that defined the cyberpunk genre. It was insanely influential. It won the Hugo Award, the Nebula Award, the Philip K. Dick Award. But for me, it just did not resonate. I had a hard time visualizing the concepts. It left a bad taste in my mouth for cyberpunk. I mostly avoided the genre. Then a couple of years ago I read Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson which is cyberpunk (although some people say it is a parody of cyberpunk). Whatever, I liked it. I recently picked up All That We See or Seem by Ken Liu and it immediately became apparent to me that this was cyberpunk. Julia Z is the main character, and I think this is going to be the start of a series following her. She is a hacker (hence cyberpunk). She has got herself in trouble and so she lives on the margins, barely making it. Then a lawyer asks her for her help. His wife has been kidnapped. The ...

The Linear Nature of Time

    Go Go back Go back to the time before Before you did it Before they did it Before it was done to you Before the toast fell on the floor Before the catastrophe Before the mistake Before time’s scars Before   Go Go back Redeem it Rework it Fix it Go back   No you cannot Go back Star Liner

The Screaming Silence

  As I have mentioned, I worked for two seasons on the Spotted Owl Survey for the US Forest Service back in the day. This involved setting up stations around areas that were scheduled for timber harvesting to see if there were owls nesting there. We would look at a topographic map and see where we needed to put stations (usually along logging roads) so that we could get complete coverage of the area to be harvested. We would go out during the day and mark these stations with ribbons, then at night we would go to each station and “hoot” for ten minutes. If we did not get a response, we would move on to the next station and so on until we could be sure there were no spotted owls in the vicinity. This meant we were working at night in the woods. There is a lot of wildlife activity at night in the woods. It is not just owls, a fair number of wildlife are nocturnal. We saw coyotes, bobcats, cougars, bats, frogs, deer, elk, among other things. But it was not just seeing the wildlife, ...