Skip to main content

The Splendid and the Vile: A Review




I just finished Erik Larson’s book The Splendid and the Vile. I would have to say that it is much more splendid than it is vile. The book is subtitled: “A Saga of Churchill, Family, and Defiance During the Blitz.” I have read several books about Churchill. Many of them touch upon his quirks, his temper and his fabulous oratory ability, and all that is to be found in Larson’s book as well. But Larson delves more deeply into Churchill’s family and personal relationships.

The book focuses on Churchill’s first year in office as Prime Minister. And what a terrible first year it was for Britain. The lion’s share of Nazi bombing raids on Britain took place during that first year.  The enormity of the Blitz is something that I don’t think anyone can really grasp if they didn’t go through it. And the people of England, especially London, went through it night after relentless night. I was reminded of Connie Willis’ science fiction novel Blackout which lets you feel just an inkling of what it must have been like to live in London during the blitz.

During this same year, the British military suffered defeat after defeat.  Hitler really didn’t want to bother with England. He wanted a peace treaty with the British so he could go after Russia. But those pesky British just wouldn’t give in (this delayed his timetable and was probably good for Russia). Very few people (if anyone else) could have withstood the continuous barrage of bad news day after day and still kept their seat as Prime Minister. That Churchill did, shows just what a force of nature he was.

I don’t want to give the impression that Larson gives us nothing but gloom and doom. This is an eminently readable book. In fact, it reads almost like a novel. There is a defined cast of characters that we follow. Some of those characters we root for and are keen to find out what happens to them. Besides Churchill, there is his daughter Mary who is just seventeen as the book begins. She has the joie de vivre that many seventeen-year-olds have. We follow one of Churchill’s secretaries, John Colville, who was not a fan of Churchill at the beginning, but we watch as his admiration grows. There is Churchill’s daughter-in-law Pamela, who had the misfortune to be married to Churchill’s hard drinking, hard gambling son Randall. We see Churchill’s relationships with his friends, both personal and professional. He put his friend Lord Beaverbrook in charge of aircraft production. Despite much ill feeling toward Beaverbrook, this turned out to be absolutely the right move. Another friend of Churchill’s “the prof” Frederick Lindemann became his scientific advisor. We follow love lives, ambition, frivolity, envy; in short, all the things that make up the human condition, which continued to happen even in the throes of a terrible war.

I very much enjoyed this book and look forward to reading more by Erik Larson.

(My novel Star Liner, is now available in paperback or as an e-book through Amazon and other online sources).


Link to Star Liner

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All That We See or Seem by Ken Liu

My first experience with cyberpunk as a genre of science fiction was Neuromancer by William Gibson. Neuromancer was one of the early works that defined the cyberpunk genre. It was insanely influential. It won the Hugo Award, the Nebula Award, the Philip K. Dick Award. But for me, it just did not resonate. I had a hard time visualizing the concepts. It left a bad taste in my mouth for cyberpunk. I mostly avoided the genre. Then a couple of years ago I read Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson which is cyberpunk (although some people say it is a parody of cyberpunk). Whatever, I liked it. I recently picked up All That We See or Seem by Ken Liu and it immediately became apparent to me that this was cyberpunk. Julia Z is the main character, and I think this is going to be the start of a series following her. She is a hacker (hence cyberpunk). She has got herself in trouble and so she lives on the margins, barely making it. Then a lawyer asks her for her help. His wife has been kidnapped. The ...

The Linear Nature of Time

    Go Go back Go back to the time before Before you did it Before they did it Before it was done to you Before the toast fell on the floor Before the catastrophe Before the mistake Before time’s scars Before   Go Go back Redeem it Rework it Fix it Go back   No you cannot Go back Star Liner

The Screaming Silence

  As I have mentioned, I worked for two seasons on the Spotted Owl Survey for the US Forest Service back in the day. This involved setting up stations around areas that were scheduled for timber harvesting to see if there were owls nesting there. We would look at a topographic map and see where we needed to put stations (usually along logging roads) so that we could get complete coverage of the area to be harvested. We would go out during the day and mark these stations with ribbons, then at night we would go to each station and “hoot” for ten minutes. If we did not get a response, we would move on to the next station and so on until we could be sure there were no spotted owls in the vicinity. This meant we were working at night in the woods. There is a lot of wildlife activity at night in the woods. It is not just owls, a fair number of wildlife are nocturnal. We saw coyotes, bobcats, cougars, bats, frogs, deer, elk, among other things. But it was not just seeing the wildlife, ...