Skip to main content

Comets




The newly discovered comet Neowise has been in the sky recently. Our state has been blessed with good weather, so everyone who wants to can see it. Well, everyone except for those of us who live on the coast. We get clouds every night. But Friday night it looked like we might get a break. There were high, wispy clouds but we thought it might be possible. My wife and I went outside just after sunset and walked around the block. Too much light. We walked around it again. Too much light. We walked around again. I got my binoculars out and scanned the northwest sky. All total, we were out there about 45 minutes, but we found nothing. My wife went to bed and about 15 minutes later I tried again. Now it was certainly dark enough. I could see the Big Dipper (one of the landmarks for finding the comet) but only faintly. This close to the ocean, there is always a haze that rises up from the west. The dipper was barely peaking out through the haze and that did not bode well for the comet. Indeed, the comet did not make an appearance to me.

Comets are bodies composed of ice, dust, and rock. Scientists sometimes refer to them as dirty snowballs to help people visualize them. They are generally in orbit around our sun. They have a highly elliptical orbit and come in two flavors:  short-period comets which return to the sun in tens to hundreds of years, and long period comets which return in thousands to millions of years. As a comet gets close to the sun the solar radiation causes the ice and other volatiles to turn to gas. This, and the dust that gets released, produces the tail of the comet. Regardless of what direction the comet is moving, the tail is always pointing away from the sun. that is because it is pushed away from the comet by the solar wind. Comets actually have two tails, one of gas and one of dust. The dust tail is somewhat less affected by the solar wind so it points away at a slightly different angle than the gas tail. Tails can be millions of miles long.

Comets that can be seen with the naked eye are pretty rare. I remember when comet Kohoutek came along in 1973 and it was supposed to be the “comet of the century”. Kohoutek was a dud. That is one problem with comets: How visible they will be is hard to predict. Both Kohoutek and another one that they had high hopes for this spring (I forget the name), both looked promising in early observations, but they partially disintegrated as they got close to the sun.

Despite this, I have seen comets before. In 1986 I saw the most famous one of all, Halley’s comet. There wasn’t a lot to see as the geometry was not good for Earth viewing. But given good directions on where to find it in the sky, my wife, and I went out with binoculars and found the fuzzy spot that was the comet. I even tracked its progress against the backdrop of stars for a few nights.

In 1996, I got to see comet Hayakutake. This was a naked eye comet which we could see without aid. Then in 1997 I got to see comet Hale-Bopp. That was two comets visible to the naked eye in two years. We were starting to feel like this was a regular thing. Then, nothing until 2020. Well, actually there have been a lot of comets between 1997 and 2020. Comets come all the time, it is just that most of them are not very visible.

We went out again on Saturday to look for Comet Neowise. My wife and I looked for a while. Eventually she gave up and went to bed. I tried again about 10:15, scanning the sky with my binoculars. The weather was clear, and it just felt like I should be able to find it. Then, there it was! I couldn’t exactly see it with the naked eye, but it was clear in the binoculars. I tentatively went into the bedroom to see if my wife was still awake. She said, “is it there?” I said yes, and she said, “I’m coming.” She got dressed and we went outside. I pointed out where to look with the binoculars. She was satisfied and went back to bed (she's a trooper). 

One of my ‘what do you want to be when you grow up’ items when I was a kid was: astronomer (along with astronaut, race car driver, Olympic athlete, actor, chemist, politician, and naval officer). Most of those dreams had changed by the time I grew up, but that doesn’t mean I lost my love of the stars.


(My science fiction novel Star Liner, is now available in paperback or as an e-book through Amazon and other online sources).


Link to Star Liner

Comments

  1. Oh I loved reading this, truly. My favourite subject. I saw the comment on the news but didn't take much notice, which I'm ashamed to say. Thank-you so much for this great description.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I have always felt comets were cool



    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

All That We See or Seem by Ken Liu

My first experience with cyberpunk as a genre of science fiction was Neuromancer by William Gibson. Neuromancer was one of the early works that defined the cyberpunk genre. It was insanely influential. It won the Hugo Award, the Nebula Award, the Philip K. Dick Award. But for me, it just did not resonate. I had a hard time visualizing the concepts. It left a bad taste in my mouth for cyberpunk. I mostly avoided the genre. Then a couple of years ago I read Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson which is cyberpunk (although some people say it is a parody of cyberpunk). Whatever, I liked it. I recently picked up All That We See or Seem by Ken Liu and it immediately became apparent to me that this was cyberpunk. Julia Z is the main character, and I think this is going to be the start of a series following her. She is a hacker (hence cyberpunk). She has got herself in trouble and so she lives on the margins, barely making it. Then a lawyer asks her for her help. His wife has been kidnapped. The ...

The Linear Nature of Time

    Go Go back Go back to the time before Before you did it Before they did it Before it was done to you Before the toast fell on the floor Before the catastrophe Before the mistake Before time’s scars Before   Go Go back Redeem it Rework it Fix it Go back   No you cannot Go back Star Liner

The Screaming Silence

  As I have mentioned, I worked for two seasons on the Spotted Owl Survey for the US Forest Service back in the day. This involved setting up stations around areas that were scheduled for timber harvesting to see if there were owls nesting there. We would look at a topographic map and see where we needed to put stations (usually along logging roads) so that we could get complete coverage of the area to be harvested. We would go out during the day and mark these stations with ribbons, then at night we would go to each station and “hoot” for ten minutes. If we did not get a response, we would move on to the next station and so on until we could be sure there were no spotted owls in the vicinity. This meant we were working at night in the woods. There is a lot of wildlife activity at night in the woods. It is not just owls, a fair number of wildlife are nocturnal. We saw coyotes, bobcats, cougars, bats, frogs, deer, elk, among other things. But it was not just seeing the wildlife, ...