Skip to main content

Comets




The newly discovered comet Neowise has been in the sky recently. Our state has been blessed with good weather, so everyone who wants to can see it. Well, everyone except for those of us who live on the coast. We get clouds every night. But Friday night it looked like we might get a break. There were high, wispy clouds but we thought it might be possible. My wife and I went outside just after sunset and walked around the block. Too much light. We walked around it again. Too much light. We walked around again. I got my binoculars out and scanned the northwest sky. All total, we were out there about 45 minutes, but we found nothing. My wife went to bed and about 15 minutes later I tried again. Now it was certainly dark enough. I could see the Big Dipper (one of the landmarks for finding the comet) but only faintly. This close to the ocean, there is always a haze that rises up from the west. The dipper was barely peaking out through the haze and that did not bode well for the comet. Indeed, the comet did not make an appearance to me.

Comets are bodies composed of ice, dust, and rock. Scientists sometimes refer to them as dirty snowballs to help people visualize them. They are generally in orbit around our sun. They have a highly elliptical orbit and come in two flavors:  short-period comets which return to the sun in tens to hundreds of years, and long period comets which return in thousands to millions of years. As a comet gets close to the sun the solar radiation causes the ice and other volatiles to turn to gas. This, and the dust that gets released, produces the tail of the comet. Regardless of what direction the comet is moving, the tail is always pointing away from the sun. that is because it is pushed away from the comet by the solar wind. Comets actually have two tails, one of gas and one of dust. The dust tail is somewhat less affected by the solar wind so it points away at a slightly different angle than the gas tail. Tails can be millions of miles long.

Comets that can be seen with the naked eye are pretty rare. I remember when comet Kohoutek came along in 1973 and it was supposed to be the “comet of the century”. Kohoutek was a dud. That is one problem with comets: How visible they will be is hard to predict. Both Kohoutek and another one that they had high hopes for this spring (I forget the name), both looked promising in early observations, but they partially disintegrated as they got close to the sun.

Despite this, I have seen comets before. In 1986 I saw the most famous one of all, Halley’s comet. There wasn’t a lot to see as the geometry was not good for Earth viewing. But given good directions on where to find it in the sky, my wife, and I went out with binoculars and found the fuzzy spot that was the comet. I even tracked its progress against the backdrop of stars for a few nights.

In 1996, I got to see comet Hayakutake. This was a naked eye comet which we could see without aid. Then in 1997 I got to see comet Hale-Bopp. That was two comets visible to the naked eye in two years. We were starting to feel like this was a regular thing. Then, nothing until 2020. Well, actually there have been a lot of comets between 1997 and 2020. Comets come all the time, it is just that most of them are not very visible.

We went out again on Saturday to look for Comet Neowise. My wife and I looked for a while. Eventually she gave up and went to bed. I tried again about 10:15, scanning the sky with my binoculars. The weather was clear, and it just felt like I should be able to find it. Then, there it was! I couldn’t exactly see it with the naked eye, but it was clear in the binoculars. I tentatively went into the bedroom to see if my wife was still awake. She said, “is it there?” I said yes, and she said, “I’m coming.” She got dressed and we went outside. I pointed out where to look with the binoculars. She was satisfied and went back to bed (she's a trooper). 

One of my ‘what do you want to be when you grow up’ items when I was a kid was: astronomer (along with astronaut, race car driver, Olympic athlete, actor, chemist, politician, and naval officer). Most of those dreams had changed by the time I grew up, but that doesn’t mean I lost my love of the stars.


(My science fiction novel Star Liner, is now available in paperback or as an e-book through Amazon and other online sources).


Link to Star Liner

Comments

  1. Oh I loved reading this, truly. My favourite subject. I saw the comment on the news but didn't take much notice, which I'm ashamed to say. Thank-you so much for this great description.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I have always felt comets were cool



    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Trip Home

  My wife and I recently returned from a trip to New York to visit my son and his wife. What follows is an excerpt of my notes from that trip. Departure day. So we and the kids (adult kids) leave by 5:30 AM. These “kids” are night owls. They rarely wake before 10:00 if they don’t have to, so we appreciate the sacrifice. Daughter-in-Law (DIL) drove us the 30 minutes to the train station. Hugs and good-byes for her (we love DIL. DIL is an irresistible force). Son navigates us a route to the platform with fewer stairs than the way we came. We get a ticket and get on the train headed for the big city and Grand Central Station. I soon realize that this train is not an express train like the one we took coming out. Instead of taking a little over an hour like we did before, this one would take a little over an hour and a half. We stop at places with names like Cold Springs and Peekskill (on this trip we saw a lot of place names that ended in “kill” including Kaatskill, i.e. Catskill, and

That 70's Decade

  Can a decade become a caricature? My teen years were in the 1970’s and none of us who lived through the 70’s thought our decade was going to be a figure of fun. When you are a part of it, you don’t realize what people are going to make fun of later. I think there are two reasons why people snicker when the 70’s are mentioned: clothing styles and Disco. Both things could be called extensions of trends that started in the 60’s. When the hippy styles of the 60’s became more formalized for the dance floor, the result was (in hindsight) rather bizarre. They did not seem bizarre at the time. People following present fashion trends never understand that they are wearing something that will be laughed at in ten years. Yes, I did have a pair of bell-bottom blue jeans (are they making a comeback?) The mere mention of the 1970’s conjures up someone in a ridiculous pose wearing a disco suit. We who lived through the 70’s just went about our normal life. There were quite a lot of things that ha

Tyranny of the Masses

  I was listening to Benjamin Netanyahu on the radio. He was justifying his change in the law that removed power from the Israeli Supreme Court, saying that it was the will of the people. Majority rules. This made me think of “Tyranny of the masses,” a concept that notes: just because a majority of people are for something, that doesn’t make it right. I am sure you can think of historical examples where the people of a country supported a policy that was demonstrably wrong. When everything is completely governed by majority rule, the rights of the minority can be subverted by the majority. The framers of our American Constitution knew this, and tried to put in some checks and balances into our system of government. This was to guard against all forms of tyranny whether from a dictator, or from tyranny of the masses. One of those checks is that we have a representative government. The people themselves don’t pass laws, but instead elect representatives at the federal and local level t