Skip to main content

The Relentless Moon




You may have heard me talk about The Calculating Stars by Mary Robinette Kowal (maybe just once or twice). I have said it is my favorite novel of the past decade. That book was the first installment in her “Lady Astronaut” series. It was followed up by The Fated Sky. I have now just finished the third book in the series The Relentless Moon. The Fated Sky was a welcome sequel that fulfilled its promise, and The Relentless Moon does not disappoint.

The first two novels follow the journey of Elma York as she fights her way through the prejudices of her times to be taken seriously as an astronaut. It was a journey that I was glad to follow. Even though she is completely different from me, Elma was a character that touched me. The books dealt with social issues of an alternate history (which has much the same social issues of our own history), but the books were never weighed down by lecturing. They were, in fact, fun. Remember fun?

I was a little concerned as I started reading the third book, as I realized that we are no longer following Elma York, but instead the main character is Nicole Wargin (also a “lady astronaut” who had been introduced to us in the first book). I wanted to continue to follow Elma. But Nicole soon won me over with her depth of character. She may have had help getting into the astronaut program from her husband who was a Senator, now a governor, and soon to be running for president.  And she may have her weaknesses (anorexia), but nonetheless, Nicole is a badass. She is definitely someone you want on your side if you find yourself isolated on the moon with an unknown number of terrorists among the population. She is smart and she’s got skills. Convincing the powers that be that they should actually use her skills is another story, while the people on the moon find themselves going from the frying pan to the fire, to a bigger fire, to a . . . well, you get the picture. The increasing peril that the characters are placed in never feels forced but proceeds logically.

I should mention that the reason we must follow a different lead character in this book is that the events of this book take place roughly at the same time as events of the second book. So, while Elma York is on her way to Mars with the first Martian expedition, Nicole is on her way to the moon to join the lunar colony to try to help sort out a conspiracy. There are certain events that take place in The Relentless Moon that don’t come as a surprise to us who have read the second book. But the plots are so different that nothing is “spoiled” by having read the second book

Mary Robinette Kowal is a master storyteller. I am not a fast reader and it only took me a few days to whip through this 500-plus page book. I didn’t want it to end. I see that there is a planned fourth book in the series (The Derivative Base) slated for release in 2022. I can’t wait. 

(My science fiction novel Star Liner, is now available in paperback or as an e-book through Amazon and other online sources).


Link to Star Liner

Comments

  1. Other than your engaging "Star Liner" I am generally not a science fiction reader. But your description above has made me add two books to my "read" list. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Trip Home

  My wife and I recently returned from a trip to New York to visit my son and his wife. What follows is an excerpt of my notes from that trip. Departure day. So we and the kids (adult kids) leave by 5:30 AM. These “kids” are night owls. They rarely wake before 10:00 if they don’t have to, so we appreciate the sacrifice. Daughter-in-Law (DIL) drove us the 30 minutes to the train station. Hugs and good-byes for her (we love DIL. DIL is an irresistible force). Son navigates us a route to the platform with fewer stairs than the way we came. We get a ticket and get on the train headed for the big city and Grand Central Station. I soon realize that this train is not an express train like the one we took coming out. Instead of taking a little over an hour like we did before, this one would take a little over an hour and a half. We stop at places with names like Cold Springs and Peekskill (on this trip we saw a lot of place names that ended in “kill” including Kaatskill, i.e. Catskill, and

That 70's Decade

  Can a decade become a caricature? My teen years were in the 1970’s and none of us who lived through the 70’s thought our decade was going to be a figure of fun. When you are a part of it, you don’t realize what people are going to make fun of later. I think there are two reasons why people snicker when the 70’s are mentioned: clothing styles and Disco. Both things could be called extensions of trends that started in the 60’s. When the hippy styles of the 60’s became more formalized for the dance floor, the result was (in hindsight) rather bizarre. They did not seem bizarre at the time. People following present fashion trends never understand that they are wearing something that will be laughed at in ten years. Yes, I did have a pair of bell-bottom blue jeans (are they making a comeback?) The mere mention of the 1970’s conjures up someone in a ridiculous pose wearing a disco suit. We who lived through the 70’s just went about our normal life. There were quite a lot of things that ha

Tyranny of the Masses

  I was listening to Benjamin Netanyahu on the radio. He was justifying his change in the law that removed power from the Israeli Supreme Court, saying that it was the will of the people. Majority rules. This made me think of “Tyranny of the masses,” a concept that notes: just because a majority of people are for something, that doesn’t make it right. I am sure you can think of historical examples where the people of a country supported a policy that was demonstrably wrong. When everything is completely governed by majority rule, the rights of the minority can be subverted by the majority. The framers of our American Constitution knew this, and tried to put in some checks and balances into our system of government. This was to guard against all forms of tyranny whether from a dictator, or from tyranny of the masses. One of those checks is that we have a representative government. The people themselves don’t pass laws, but instead elect representatives at the federal and local level t