Skip to main content

The Umbrella Academy

 


I just finished watching the second season of The Umbrella Academy. For those who don’t know, The Umbrella Academy is based on a Comic book series by Gerard Way. In the story, dozens of women around the world suddenly give birth on the same day. This in itself would not be unusual except for the fact that none of them had not been pregnant up to the time of delivery. An eccentric millionaire travels the world to adopt as many of these children as he can, believing there to be something special about these children. He is able to adopt seven of the children and it turns out that each one has their own super power. This all happens in like the first fifteen minutes of the first episode, and things just get weirder from then on as we follow the now adult children as they come to terms with their own screwed up lives, which is mostly caused by their screwed up adoptive father.

I watched the first season with glee and looked forward to the second, which did not disappoint. I said this series is weird. There are wheels within wheels within wheels. Who is this father and what is he really trying to accomplish? There are assassins from the Time Commission try to make sure certain people are killed at the right point in history (or is it just on somebody’s whim?). There is a talking chimpanzee, a ghost, a robot mother, and a man living on the Moon. The seven superhero children are all pretty much dysfunctional human beings. They have all gone their separate ways, but they have to come back together to try to prevent the end of the world. It is violent and funny, with great music (seriously, the use of songs in this series is so well done, it is worth watching the show for the music alone). Oh, and Kate Walsh makes a delightful villain.

This show is not a likely pick for me. I am getting really tired of superhero movies and TV. I thought if I never saw another show about superheroes, I would be just fine. But then I started watching The Umbrella Academy. It is witty and unexpected, and as I say, weird. I like weird.  I was hooked at once.

Different layers of the show get peeled away as questions gradually become answered. One question that has yet to be answered is: just what was (or is) the father up to. I don’t know yet. But I am willing to watch a third season to find out.

 

(My science fiction novel Star Liner, is now available in paperback or as an e-book through Amazon and other online sources).

Link to Star Liner

Comments

  1. I think my favorite bit is a teenage boy playing a jaded 58 year old man! ^_^ He's fantastic!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

All That We See or Seem by Ken Liu

My first experience with cyberpunk as a genre of science fiction was Neuromancer by William Gibson. Neuromancer was one of the early works that defined the cyberpunk genre. It was insanely influential. It won the Hugo Award, the Nebula Award, the Philip K. Dick Award. But for me, it just did not resonate. I had a hard time visualizing the concepts. It left a bad taste in my mouth for cyberpunk. I mostly avoided the genre. Then a couple of years ago I read Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson which is cyberpunk (although some people say it is a parody of cyberpunk). Whatever, I liked it. I recently picked up All That We See or Seem by Ken Liu and it immediately became apparent to me that this was cyberpunk. Julia Z is the main character, and I think this is going to be the start of a series following her. She is a hacker (hence cyberpunk). She has got herself in trouble and so she lives on the margins, barely making it. Then a lawyer asks her for her help. His wife has been kidnapped. The ...

The Linear Nature of Time

    Go Go back Go back to the time before Before you did it Before they did it Before it was done to you Before the toast fell on the floor Before the catastrophe Before the mistake Before time’s scars Before   Go Go back Redeem it Rework it Fix it Go back   No you cannot Go back Star Liner

The Screaming Silence

  As I have mentioned, I worked for two seasons on the Spotted Owl Survey for the US Forest Service back in the day. This involved setting up stations around areas that were scheduled for timber harvesting to see if there were owls nesting there. We would look at a topographic map and see where we needed to put stations (usually along logging roads) so that we could get complete coverage of the area to be harvested. We would go out during the day and mark these stations with ribbons, then at night we would go to each station and “hoot” for ten minutes. If we did not get a response, we would move on to the next station and so on until we could be sure there were no spotted owls in the vicinity. This meant we were working at night in the woods. There is a lot of wildlife activity at night in the woods. It is not just owls, a fair number of wildlife are nocturnal. We saw coyotes, bobcats, cougars, bats, frogs, deer, elk, among other things. But it was not just seeing the wildlife, ...