Skip to main content

Persistence

 


It is a bit hard to remember back to like March as Covid-19 was beginning to impact our country. It didn’t even have a name back then. They just referred to it as a new type of Coronavirus. It seems to my mind that the time from when we first were growing concerned about it, to complete lockdown, passed very quickly. The vast majority of people took the lockdown seriously and followed the rules. Once the restrictions started being eased, still most people took it seriously. I know in my household we did. We were scrupulous about wearing masks, keeping our distance from people, quarantining our groceries, and going out only when necessary. We still do.

After months of living in the plague of 2020, I see Covid fatigue setting in. I see it in everyone else, and I see it in myself. The mind starts subconsciously letting the guard down. I am still careful, wearing masks etc., but whereas in the beginning, I didn’t have to think about being careful, I just did it. Now I find I have to consciously force myself into that mindset. My brain (or maybe it’s human nature) wants me to let my guard down. But I don’t. I have to work a little harder at staying vigilant, but I do it. Yes, most people who catch the virus recover, but 240,000 Americans have died from it. It has touched my extended family. Even though I might recover from it, I would hate to think that I gave it to someone else who died because of my carelessness. That would be terrible.

So, I act responsibly. I do the things we are all supposed to do. It is the human thing to do. Occasionally there are even benefits from the restrictions. I was able to virtually attend the Nebula Awards this year, which I never would have been able to do in person. And today while I was waiting in my socially distanced line to get into the farmer’s market, I spotted these beautiful red mushrooms that have pushed their way through the soil (beautiful, but poisonous. Look but don’t touch). There is also the benefit that this outbreak may better prepare us for dealing with the next one. There will certainly be a next one, but hopefully not for many years.

Try not to kill people. Stay vigilant. Take the benefits where you can find them. This pandemic won’t last forever.

(My science fiction novel Star Liner, is now available in paperback or as an e-book through Amazon and other online sources).

Link to Star Liner

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All That We See or Seem by Ken Liu

My first experience with cyberpunk as a genre of science fiction was Neuromancer by William Gibson. Neuromancer was one of the early works that defined the cyberpunk genre. It was insanely influential. It won the Hugo Award, the Nebula Award, the Philip K. Dick Award. But for me, it just did not resonate. I had a hard time visualizing the concepts. It left a bad taste in my mouth for cyberpunk. I mostly avoided the genre. Then a couple of years ago I read Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson which is cyberpunk (although some people say it is a parody of cyberpunk). Whatever, I liked it. I recently picked up All That We See or Seem by Ken Liu and it immediately became apparent to me that this was cyberpunk. Julia Z is the main character, and I think this is going to be the start of a series following her. She is a hacker (hence cyberpunk). She has got herself in trouble and so she lives on the margins, barely making it. Then a lawyer asks her for her help. His wife has been kidnapped. The ...

The Linear Nature of Time

    Go Go back Go back to the time before Before you did it Before they did it Before it was done to you Before the toast fell on the floor Before the catastrophe Before the mistake Before time’s scars Before   Go Go back Redeem it Rework it Fix it Go back   No you cannot Go back Star Liner

The Screaming Silence

  As I have mentioned, I worked for two seasons on the Spotted Owl Survey for the US Forest Service back in the day. This involved setting up stations around areas that were scheduled for timber harvesting to see if there were owls nesting there. We would look at a topographic map and see where we needed to put stations (usually along logging roads) so that we could get complete coverage of the area to be harvested. We would go out during the day and mark these stations with ribbons, then at night we would go to each station and “hoot” for ten minutes. If we did not get a response, we would move on to the next station and so on until we could be sure there were no spotted owls in the vicinity. This meant we were working at night in the woods. There is a lot of wildlife activity at night in the woods. It is not just owls, a fair number of wildlife are nocturnal. We saw coyotes, bobcats, cougars, bats, frogs, deer, elk, among other things. But it was not just seeing the wildlife, ...