Skip to main content

Dr. Who

 


I am not the biggest fan of Dr. Who in the world, but I am still a fan. Dr. Who is a time-travelling alien who seems to have a soft spot for Earth, and often takes human companions with him on his adventures through time and space.

My wife and I binge-watched Dr. Who reruns last weekend. BBC America had a Dr. Who marathon going on for about six days in a row. I tried to do other things. But then my wife was watching and I kept finding myself being sucked in like all those Daleks being sucked into the alternate universe.

I think when they started the series in the early 1960’s. The BBC executives thought it was just going to be a kid’s show and budgeted accordingly. The lack of funding showed in the effects and design of sets, props, and aliens. This is why the menacing aliens known as the Daleks, basically look like an upside-down garbage can with a plunger sticking out of it. Over the past 40+ years the Daleks haven’t changed much. Their look has been upgraded, but it is still the same basic form that they started with in 1963 (unlike the Klingons in Star Trek, who change appearance every time there is a new version of the show. The Klingons on Star Trek Discovery would be unrecognizable to a viewer of the original series. It is a bit of a slap in the face to the fans, to change the appearance so often. At least the Makers of Dr. Who decided not to go that route.)

I think the script writers didn’t get the memo about this being a kid’s show, and as the scripts became more sophisticated, more adults started watching the show. When the original actor to play Dr. Who, William Hartnell, had health problems and was no longer able to go on playing the Doctor, someone on the series came up with a novel idea. Rather than simply replacing Hartnell with another actor and hoping the audience accepted him (as was done with Darren on the TV series Bewitched) they decided to write something new into the mythology of the Doctor. What they came up with was that when the Doctor reaches the end of his life cycle, rather than dying, he regenerates into a new form. So Hartnell was replaced with actor Patrick Troughton who was younger, and looked nothing like Hartnell, but that was okay because he didn’t need to. Thus, the Doctor and his companions could change over the years as actors retired or tired of the role. To date there have been thirteen Doctors (fourteen if you count John Hurt), including one woman (the current Doctor, Jodie Whittaker).

I started watching with the third Doctor (John Pertwee), But I really became hooked by the fourth Doctor, Tom Baker, who was funnier and more whimsical. Tom Baker was just plain fun. In 1989, the BBC suspended production of Dr. Who. They never officially cancelled it, but it seemed to be done. Then in 2005 they relaunched the series with Christopher Eccleston playing the Doctor (the ninth Doctor). I took to the new show right away. There were good scripts, good actors and for once a budget that actually was appropriate. I have since seen all the various Doctors (although I never actually saw Sylvester McCoy (the seventh Doctor) in the TV series, but I did see him briefly as the Doctor in the Dr. Who movie).

So, does all this make me an official Dr. Who nerd? Sort of, but to be really legitimate I think you have to have seen all the episodes (that still exist) at least once. I have seen a lot of them but not all. And even so, as we binge-watched our way through the marathon my wife and I would frequently comment “hmm, I don’t remember that.” I confess, that might be due to our memories and not to the memorability of the episodes.

 

(My science fiction novel Star Liner, is now available in paperback or as an e-book through Amazon and other online sources).

Star Liner

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Trip Home

  My wife and I recently returned from a trip to New York to visit my son and his wife. What follows is an excerpt of my notes from that trip. Departure day. So we and the kids (adult kids) leave by 5:30 AM. These “kids” are night owls. They rarely wake before 10:00 if they don’t have to, so we appreciate the sacrifice. Daughter-in-Law (DIL) drove us the 30 minutes to the train station. Hugs and good-byes for her (we love DIL. DIL is an irresistible force). Son navigates us a route to the platform with fewer stairs than the way we came. We get a ticket and get on the train headed for the big city and Grand Central Station. I soon realize that this train is not an express train like the one we took coming out. Instead of taking a little over an hour like we did before, this one would take a little over an hour and a half. We stop at places with names like Cold Springs and Peekskill (on this trip we saw a lot of place names that ended in “kill” including Kaatskill, i.e. Catskill, and

That 70's Decade

  Can a decade become a caricature? My teen years were in the 1970’s and none of us who lived through the 70’s thought our decade was going to be a figure of fun. When you are a part of it, you don’t realize what people are going to make fun of later. I think there are two reasons why people snicker when the 70’s are mentioned: clothing styles and Disco. Both things could be called extensions of trends that started in the 60’s. When the hippy styles of the 60’s became more formalized for the dance floor, the result was (in hindsight) rather bizarre. They did not seem bizarre at the time. People following present fashion trends never understand that they are wearing something that will be laughed at in ten years. Yes, I did have a pair of bell-bottom blue jeans (are they making a comeback?) The mere mention of the 1970’s conjures up someone in a ridiculous pose wearing a disco suit. We who lived through the 70’s just went about our normal life. There were quite a lot of things that ha

Tyranny of the Masses

  I was listening to Benjamin Netanyahu on the radio. He was justifying his change in the law that removed power from the Israeli Supreme Court, saying that it was the will of the people. Majority rules. This made me think of “Tyranny of the masses,” a concept that notes: just because a majority of people are for something, that doesn’t make it right. I am sure you can think of historical examples where the people of a country supported a policy that was demonstrably wrong. When everything is completely governed by majority rule, the rights of the minority can be subverted by the majority. The framers of our American Constitution knew this, and tried to put in some checks and balances into our system of government. This was to guard against all forms of tyranny whether from a dictator, or from tyranny of the masses. One of those checks is that we have a representative government. The people themselves don’t pass laws, but instead elect representatives at the federal and local level t