Skip to main content

Cute Fuzzies

 


What is the best designed animal? Obviously not a legitimate question because one could argue that all species are well designed for the life and habitat where they live. It is also entirely subjective. So, in my entirely subjective and unscientific assessment, I am going to cast my vote for the otter as the best designed animal. Just look at the way they move. They are like self-powered slinkies. They are comfortable on land or water. Cold does not bother them. They are sleek and streamlined. I mean come on. They are just darn cute.

You might think that the soft furry otters would be easy prey for large predators, but they are so well adapted for swimming that if they are near a body of water they can often escape. And they are not faint-hearted. I recently saw a nature program where a group of four otters scared off a large tiger from their watering hole.

I think my affection for otters started with a Disney nature program I saw as a kid. Otters were playing and sliding down snow chutes. They looked like they were having a great time to my child’s mind. I thought to myself, if reincarnation was a thing and I had to come back as an animal, I would pick the otter.

How cute an organism is, has nothing to do with how well designed it is. The warthog, to my admittedly prejudiced eye is about as homely as they come. Yet warthogs seem to be able to carry out all the necessary life functions as well as anyone else. “My admittedly prejudiced eye” is part of the problem. Humans are programmed to find certain things cute and other things ugly. There are variabilities in individual human preferences of course. We don’t all think the same things are cute, nor do we find all the same things ugly. Otherwise, you would never get a biologist who would be willing to study anything other than cute fuzzies. I am glad that there are scientists who study spiders. I can appreciate spiders and what they do for pest control and their place in the environment. They are a marvel of adaptation. Nonetheless . . . they kind of creep me out.  It is a lot easier to find a large group of people who want to save an endangered squirrel that it is to find a large group of people who want to save an endangered scorpion.

Humans tend to have an affinity to furry warm-blooded animals. There are groups of people who call themselves “Furries” who like to dress up in furry animal costumes and do whatever it is they do for entertainment and companionship. It is worth note that even though this may an extreme reaction to fur, and that humans have a group for just about everything under the sun, there are no analogous groups of “Scalies,” or “Exoskeletalies,” or “Slimies” that I know of.

I think we tend to have an affinity for organisms that share some traits with ourselves. We are much more likely to find such organisms “cute.”  No one has ever been able to ask a crab if it found a squirrel or an otter, or a human cute. If they could, I suspect the answer would be no, no, and definitely not! As Rod Serling (and others) have said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.


Star liner

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All That We See or Seem by Ken Liu

My first experience with cyberpunk as a genre of science fiction was Neuromancer by William Gibson. Neuromancer was one of the early works that defined the cyberpunk genre. It was insanely influential. It won the Hugo Award, the Nebula Award, the Philip K. Dick Award. But for me, it just did not resonate. I had a hard time visualizing the concepts. It left a bad taste in my mouth for cyberpunk. I mostly avoided the genre. Then a couple of years ago I read Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson which is cyberpunk (although some people say it is a parody of cyberpunk). Whatever, I liked it. I recently picked up All That We See or Seem by Ken Liu and it immediately became apparent to me that this was cyberpunk. Julia Z is the main character, and I think this is going to be the start of a series following her. She is a hacker (hence cyberpunk). She has got herself in trouble and so she lives on the margins, barely making it. Then a lawyer asks her for her help. His wife has been kidnapped. The ...

The Linear Nature of Time

    Go Go back Go back to the time before Before you did it Before they did it Before it was done to you Before the toast fell on the floor Before the catastrophe Before the mistake Before time’s scars Before   Go Go back Redeem it Rework it Fix it Go back   No you cannot Go back Star Liner

The Screaming Silence

  As I have mentioned, I worked for two seasons on the Spotted Owl Survey for the US Forest Service back in the day. This involved setting up stations around areas that were scheduled for timber harvesting to see if there were owls nesting there. We would look at a topographic map and see where we needed to put stations (usually along logging roads) so that we could get complete coverage of the area to be harvested. We would go out during the day and mark these stations with ribbons, then at night we would go to each station and “hoot” for ten minutes. If we did not get a response, we would move on to the next station and so on until we could be sure there were no spotted owls in the vicinity. This meant we were working at night in the woods. There is a lot of wildlife activity at night in the woods. It is not just owls, a fair number of wildlife are nocturnal. We saw coyotes, bobcats, cougars, bats, frogs, deer, elk, among other things. But it was not just seeing the wildlife, ...