Skip to main content

Cute Fuzzies

 


What is the best designed animal? Obviously not a legitimate question because one could argue that all species are well designed for the life and habitat where they live. It is also entirely subjective. So, in my entirely subjective and unscientific assessment, I am going to cast my vote for the otter as the best designed animal. Just look at the way they move. They are like self-powered slinkies. They are comfortable on land or water. Cold does not bother them. They are sleek and streamlined. I mean come on. They are just darn cute.

You might think that the soft furry otters would be easy prey for large predators, but they are so well adapted for swimming that if they are near a body of water they can often escape. And they are not faint-hearted. I recently saw a nature program where a group of four otters scared off a large tiger from their watering hole.

I think my affection for otters started with a Disney nature program I saw as a kid. Otters were playing and sliding down snow chutes. They looked like they were having a great time to my child’s mind. I thought to myself, if reincarnation was a thing and I had to come back as an animal, I would pick the otter.

How cute an organism is, has nothing to do with how well designed it is. The warthog, to my admittedly prejudiced eye is about as homely as they come. Yet warthogs seem to be able to carry out all the necessary life functions as well as anyone else. “My admittedly prejudiced eye” is part of the problem. Humans are programmed to find certain things cute and other things ugly. There are variabilities in individual human preferences of course. We don’t all think the same things are cute, nor do we find all the same things ugly. Otherwise, you would never get a biologist who would be willing to study anything other than cute fuzzies. I am glad that there are scientists who study spiders. I can appreciate spiders and what they do for pest control and their place in the environment. They are a marvel of adaptation. Nonetheless . . . they kind of creep me out.  It is a lot easier to find a large group of people who want to save an endangered squirrel that it is to find a large group of people who want to save an endangered scorpion.

Humans tend to have an affinity to furry warm-blooded animals. There are groups of people who call themselves “Furries” who like to dress up in furry animal costumes and do whatever it is they do for entertainment and companionship. It is worth note that even though this may an extreme reaction to fur, and that humans have a group for just about everything under the sun, there are no analogous groups of “Scalies,” or “Exoskeletalies,” or “Slimies” that I know of.

I think we tend to have an affinity for organisms that share some traits with ourselves. We are much more likely to find such organisms “cute.”  No one has ever been able to ask a crab if it found a squirrel or an otter, or a human cute. If they could, I suspect the answer would be no, no, and definitely not! As Rod Serling (and others) have said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.


Star liner

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Trip Home

  My wife and I recently returned from a trip to New York to visit my son and his wife. What follows is an excerpt of my notes from that trip. Departure day. So we and the kids (adult kids) leave by 5:30 AM. These “kids” are night owls. They rarely wake before 10:00 if they don’t have to, so we appreciate the sacrifice. Daughter-in-Law (DIL) drove us the 30 minutes to the train station. Hugs and good-byes for her (we love DIL. DIL is an irresistible force). Son navigates us a route to the platform with fewer stairs than the way we came. We get a ticket and get on the train headed for the big city and Grand Central Station. I soon realize that this train is not an express train like the one we took coming out. Instead of taking a little over an hour like we did before, this one would take a little over an hour and a half. We stop at places with names like Cold Springs and Peekskill (on this trip we saw a lot of place names that ended in “kill” including Kaatskill, i.e. Catskill, and

That 70's Decade

  Can a decade become a caricature? My teen years were in the 1970’s and none of us who lived through the 70’s thought our decade was going to be a figure of fun. When you are a part of it, you don’t realize what people are going to make fun of later. I think there are two reasons why people snicker when the 70’s are mentioned: clothing styles and Disco. Both things could be called extensions of trends that started in the 60’s. When the hippy styles of the 60’s became more formalized for the dance floor, the result was (in hindsight) rather bizarre. They did not seem bizarre at the time. People following present fashion trends never understand that they are wearing something that will be laughed at in ten years. Yes, I did have a pair of bell-bottom blue jeans (are they making a comeback?) The mere mention of the 1970’s conjures up someone in a ridiculous pose wearing a disco suit. We who lived through the 70’s just went about our normal life. There were quite a lot of things that ha

Tyranny of the Masses

  I was listening to Benjamin Netanyahu on the radio. He was justifying his change in the law that removed power from the Israeli Supreme Court, saying that it was the will of the people. Majority rules. This made me think of “Tyranny of the masses,” a concept that notes: just because a majority of people are for something, that doesn’t make it right. I am sure you can think of historical examples where the people of a country supported a policy that was demonstrably wrong. When everything is completely governed by majority rule, the rights of the minority can be subverted by the majority. The framers of our American Constitution knew this, and tried to put in some checks and balances into our system of government. This was to guard against all forms of tyranny whether from a dictator, or from tyranny of the masses. One of those checks is that we have a representative government. The people themselves don’t pass laws, but instead elect representatives at the federal and local level t