Skip to main content

When the Screen got it Right

 


This is my list of what I consider to be the best adaptations of science fiction/fantasy books to screen. These are in no particular order because if I tried to rank them, my rankings would change with my moods or what I had last seen or other unimportant motivators. Also, this is my list. It is not your list. Your list is going to be different than mine, and that’s okay. This is not a list of my favorite sci-fi/fantasy films (though some of them are on this list). It is not a list of my favorite sci-fi/fantasy books that have been made into films. This list is all about how good the adaptation was. As excellent as it is, you won’t find 2001: A Space Odyssey on the list because the film and the book were a joint project. The film was not an adaptation of the book. In order for it to be on my list I had to have both read the book and seen the movie or series. So, much as I loved the movie The Martian, I can’t put it on my list because I haven’t read Andy Weir’s book (note to self: read The Martian).  There are a lot of great films that fall into this category. So, of those that I have read and seen, here is the list:

 

A Boy and His Dog (1975) based on the novella by Harlan Ellison

Harlan Ellison knew a thing or two about social satire, and the filmmaker L.Q. Jones make sure to maintain that element in the story. In fact, I watched this film as part of a sociology class in college. Even though this movie was not a great success at the box office, it inspired others, namely the Mad Max series, the video game Fallout and I think certain aspects of Firefly.  In this post-apocalyptic tale, the film stays fairly true to the novella. The same . . . interesting ending is in both. A boy loves his dog.

 

Blade Runner (1982) based on the book Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? By Phillip K. Dick.

This one is quite a bit different from the book. But Ridley Scott knows how to tell a tale cinematically. And not every well written book translates well into film. Scott and the screenwriters wove a mix of original material and new material into a taut cohesive mindblower.

 

The Lord of the Rings trilogy (2001, 2002, 2003) based on the trilogy by J.R.R. Tolkien.

People had been trying to make films about Tolkien’s work for decades, and it just didn’t work. The story was so grand in scope that it came to be considered unfilmable. Good thing nobody told that to Peter Jackson. He managed to capture the grandeur and scope of the original story, keeping in the most important parts. (I am less impressed with his adaptation of The Hobbit).

 

Total Recall (1990) based on the Story “We Can Remember it for you Wholesale” by Phillip K. Dick.

Yes, another Phillip K. Dick story. Hollywood loves making movies of his work, but they don’t always do a good job adapting them. I could have put Minority Report on this list, which is a good looking movie, but the short story is so superior to the movie (it actually made sense) that I just couldn’t do it. Total Recall however is an entertaining thriller. The movie does a good job of taking what could have been complex concepts and makes them understandable.

 

Soylent Green (1973) based on the novel Make Room, Make Room by Harry Harrison.

Director Richard Fleischer and screenwriter Stanley R. Greenberg take Harrison’s story, setting and situation and completely rework it. The movie is a different kind of story from the book. The book is more introspective, exploring the personal costs for living in an overpopulated world.  The Movie is more focused on the Police officer played by Charleton Heston, and a conspiracy. But it works. I have to say, I think Edward G. Robinson gives the finest performance of his long career in this, his final movie.

 

Game of Thrones (Television series 2011 to 2015-ish) based on the first five books of The Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. Martin

I am ignoring the last two or three seasons because those books haven’t come out yet. So just judging this series as far as the books go, it is an excellent adaptation. They do take a lot of liberties with the story and move events around so it is hard to pick an exact point where the series leaves the books behind. I don’t always agree with the choices made by the show runners, but overall it is a compelling and thrilling adaptation of the first five books of the series. (I had some big-time problems with the final season, but for the reasons mentioned above, the final few seasons are not part of this list.)

 

The Thing (1951) Based on the novella Who Goes There? By John W. Campbell

Quite a bit different than the novella, it is nonetheless a tense nail-biter. I did an earlier blog about it. The John Carpenter version from 1982 is much closer to the original story and I have heard it is excellent, but I have not seen the whole thing, just bits and pieces of it, so I can’t put it on my list yet (Note to self: watch Carpenter’s The Thing)

 

Annihilation (2018) based on the novel by Jeff VanderMeer

In this one, the book is definitely better than the movie. But they did a good job of bringing out that creepy feel that is in the book.

 

Dave (1993)

Yes, the movie with Kevin Kline and Sigourney Weaver. They don’t credit him, but I am going to say they got the idea for this movie from Robert A. Heinlein’s novel Double Star. I also suspect the movie Moon Over Parador (1988) was inspired by the same story, but again, no credit to Heinlein. Dave is the superior movie of the two. Even though it removed all of the sci-fi aspects, I am going to include it on the list.

 

The Fly (1986) based on the short story by George Langelaan

I like the 1986 movie better than the 1958 movie. David Cronenberg knows how to get all weird and twisty. It’s kind of his thing. He injects the right mix of horror and pathos into this frightening tale. Jeff Goldblum never looked so good, or so bad.

 

That is my list (so far). This being said, there are a large number of great science fiction and fantasy stories that have been make into terrible movies and television. Still others that have been made into movies that are just okay. Maybe I should do a list of those: “Books that deserved better!” But I probably won’t. Just trust the fact that usually (not always) the book is better than the movie, and keep reading.


Star Liner

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Trip Home

  My wife and I recently returned from a trip to New York to visit my son and his wife. What follows is an excerpt of my notes from that trip. Departure day. So we and the kids (adult kids) leave by 5:30 AM. These “kids” are night owls. They rarely wake before 10:00 if they don’t have to, so we appreciate the sacrifice. Daughter-in-Law (DIL) drove us the 30 minutes to the train station. Hugs and good-byes for her (we love DIL. DIL is an irresistible force). Son navigates us a route to the platform with fewer stairs than the way we came. We get a ticket and get on the train headed for the big city and Grand Central Station. I soon realize that this train is not an express train like the one we took coming out. Instead of taking a little over an hour like we did before, this one would take a little over an hour and a half. We stop at places with names like Cold Springs and Peekskill (on this trip we saw a lot of place names that ended in “kill” including Kaatskill, i.e. Catskill, and

That 70's Decade

  Can a decade become a caricature? My teen years were in the 1970’s and none of us who lived through the 70’s thought our decade was going to be a figure of fun. When you are a part of it, you don’t realize what people are going to make fun of later. I think there are two reasons why people snicker when the 70’s are mentioned: clothing styles and Disco. Both things could be called extensions of trends that started in the 60’s. When the hippy styles of the 60’s became more formalized for the dance floor, the result was (in hindsight) rather bizarre. They did not seem bizarre at the time. People following present fashion trends never understand that they are wearing something that will be laughed at in ten years. Yes, I did have a pair of bell-bottom blue jeans (are they making a comeback?) The mere mention of the 1970’s conjures up someone in a ridiculous pose wearing a disco suit. We who lived through the 70’s just went about our normal life. There were quite a lot of things that ha

Tyranny of the Masses

  I was listening to Benjamin Netanyahu on the radio. He was justifying his change in the law that removed power from the Israeli Supreme Court, saying that it was the will of the people. Majority rules. This made me think of “Tyranny of the masses,” a concept that notes: just because a majority of people are for something, that doesn’t make it right. I am sure you can think of historical examples where the people of a country supported a policy that was demonstrably wrong. When everything is completely governed by majority rule, the rights of the minority can be subverted by the majority. The framers of our American Constitution knew this, and tried to put in some checks and balances into our system of government. This was to guard against all forms of tyranny whether from a dictator, or from tyranny of the masses. One of those checks is that we have a representative government. The people themselves don’t pass laws, but instead elect representatives at the federal and local level t