Skip to main content

A Bad Day at the Track

 


Since it is an Olympic year (sort of), I have been reminiscing about my former track and field career. I was a pretty good track athlete in my school days. One track meet stands out in my mind, one particularly bad meet. All athletes experience ups and downs, good days and bad days. I was no different. But the singular meet in question was the district track meet of my junior year in high school.

I had great expectations for that meet and there was every reason why I should have had. The previous year’s district meet had gone spectacularly well for me. I had been a sophomore (my first year of high school) and I had finished second in the 100 meters to my fellow teammate, 3rd in the 200 meters. Finishing first or second at district meant you were qualified for the state track meet. So, I had qualified in the 100 and just missed out in the 200 by a hair.  In addition, our school had qualified two 4 X 100 relay teams to the district meet (we had a lot of good sprinters in my school). I was on the “B” team. In the finals of the relay, our “A” team dropped the baton and the “B” team that I was on won. So, I was going to state in two events as a sophomore. The first six places in each event scored points for their respective teams. I got eight points for my second-place finish, six points for my third-place finish and my relay team earned ten points for coming in first. I felt like I had made a good contribution to our team.

And my junior year had gone very well up to this point. Our 4 X 100 meter relay team was most likely the fastest team in the state. We had so far, run the fastest time and had come within a hair’s breadth of breaking the state record.

So, the district meet was poised to be a big day for me! Spoiler alert. It wasn’t.

My first clue that this was not going to go well was a big one. Our much vaunted 4 X 100 meter relay team was disqualified in the qualifying heat. Two of my teammates could not get a clean baton exchange in the allowable zone. Just like that, we wouldn’t get run for the win at State. We would not even get to run in the finals of District.

I made it through the qualifying heat of the 100 okay, but then I ran a bad race in the qualifying heat of the 200 and didn’t make the cut. Day one was over and I was already out of two events. All I had left was the 100 and the 4X400 relay. I knew we were not that good in the 4X400 relay, so the only event that I was really good at was the 100. I focused all my energy to the 100. I visualized. I psyched myself to the max. When the finals of the 100 came . . . I ran the worst race of my life and finished a non-scoring seventh, or maybe even last; I don’t even know. I had over psyched, over visualized, over energized. I must have walked around in a fog of self-pity for a while. People avoided me like you might avoid a suspiciously brown stain on a public transit seat. I just walked and walked.

I had a long time to think about it before the last race of the day, the 4X400 relay. It gave me a chance to shake it off and somewhat put it behind me, accept the fact that this was not going to be my big day. I ran a lot better in my leg of the relay than I had in the 100, but like I said, the 4X400 relay was not our strong suit. I watched as our anchor leg faded to fifth, to sixth, to seventh, where we finished. Non-scoring. I had managed to score a perfect zero points in the meet. They say you always learn way more from a loss that you do from a win. And that is true. Disappointment is part of the human condition. How you handle it says a lot about who you are. You can deal with it, accept your failings, learn from it, and move on. Or you can throw tantrums and blame everyone and everything else. The first course is called being a good sport. The second course . . . will not bode well for your future endeavors in sports or anything else. I handled it okay, not great, but okay. I did sulk around for a while after the 100. But then I got back on the horse, ran my last race with a better attitude. The next week, at the state track meet, I cheered on the few members of my team that had made it to state, and set my sights on the next year. When all is said and done, a bad track meet is just a bad track meet. It’s not the end of the world.

It is common to look back at your life and say “what if” or “if only I’d . . . “But, if given the option to change events, I don’t think I would change much. Bad luck, bad choices, and disappointments help mold us. If I hadn’t gone through that terrible, awful, no good, very bad  day, maybe I wouldn’t have had the successes that came later, or maybe I would not have been able to handle other disappointments that came later. No, I will take my life history as it is, warts and all. It made me who I am, and I am okay with that. Life has been pretty good to me.

Star Liner

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Trip Home

  My wife and I recently returned from a trip to New York to visit my son and his wife. What follows is an excerpt of my notes from that trip. Departure day. So we and the kids (adult kids) leave by 5:30 AM. These “kids” are night owls. They rarely wake before 10:00 if they don’t have to, so we appreciate the sacrifice. Daughter-in-Law (DIL) drove us the 30 minutes to the train station. Hugs and good-byes for her (we love DIL. DIL is an irresistible force). Son navigates us a route to the platform with fewer stairs than the way we came. We get a ticket and get on the train headed for the big city and Grand Central Station. I soon realize that this train is not an express train like the one we took coming out. Instead of taking a little over an hour like we did before, this one would take a little over an hour and a half. We stop at places with names like Cold Springs and Peekskill (on this trip we saw a lot of place names that ended in “kill” including Kaatskill, i.e. Catskill, and

That 70's Decade

  Can a decade become a caricature? My teen years were in the 1970’s and none of us who lived through the 70’s thought our decade was going to be a figure of fun. When you are a part of it, you don’t realize what people are going to make fun of later. I think there are two reasons why people snicker when the 70’s are mentioned: clothing styles and Disco. Both things could be called extensions of trends that started in the 60’s. When the hippy styles of the 60’s became more formalized for the dance floor, the result was (in hindsight) rather bizarre. They did not seem bizarre at the time. People following present fashion trends never understand that they are wearing something that will be laughed at in ten years. Yes, I did have a pair of bell-bottom blue jeans (are they making a comeback?) The mere mention of the 1970’s conjures up someone in a ridiculous pose wearing a disco suit. We who lived through the 70’s just went about our normal life. There were quite a lot of things that ha

Tyranny of the Masses

  I was listening to Benjamin Netanyahu on the radio. He was justifying his change in the law that removed power from the Israeli Supreme Court, saying that it was the will of the people. Majority rules. This made me think of “Tyranny of the masses,” a concept that notes: just because a majority of people are for something, that doesn’t make it right. I am sure you can think of historical examples where the people of a country supported a policy that was demonstrably wrong. When everything is completely governed by majority rule, the rights of the minority can be subverted by the majority. The framers of our American Constitution knew this, and tried to put in some checks and balances into our system of government. This was to guard against all forms of tyranny whether from a dictator, or from tyranny of the masses. One of those checks is that we have a representative government. The people themselves don’t pass laws, but instead elect representatives at the federal and local level t