Skip to main content

Athletics vs Academics

 


Once upon a time I was a pretty good athlete. I went to junior college nationals twice in the intermediate hurdles. I qualified for nationals in the decathlon, and I finished fifth in the national indoor pentathlon. I even had dreams (or delusions) of qualifying for the Olympic trials, perhaps in 1984. But an interesting thing happened to me when I left junior college and moved on to my next college. I started taking my academics seriously.

I had always been a pretty average student in high school and in junior college. I got mostly “B”s with an occasional “A”, and an occasional “C”. Not grades to be ashamed of, but not grades to write home about either. I was certainly doing better than some on the track team. I remember one teammate who had become academically ineligible. Academically ineligible. That was really hard to do at my junior college. To stay eligible for sports you had to maintain a 1.5 grade average with a minimum of 8 credit hours. Two of those credit hours were going to be automatic “A”s by virtue of being on the track team. How did he accomplish this feat? I figure the only way he could have done this was by just not showing up for any class ever.  That would do it.

When I moved on to the university, I was on scholarship. I had not been on a scholarship at the junior college because the college did not offer athletic scholarships. I was proud of myself for getting a scholarship at the university. I don’t know, maybe that instilled a work ethic in me. Maybe I didn’t want that money I was being given to go to waste. I had known athletes who got scholarships who were the complete opposite. I guess since they were getting an education for free, they didn’t value it. They wasted their time at college.

Whatever the reason, I worked hard at my classes. My grades went up. I was 4-point student my last three semesters of college. But . . . my athletic performance waned. Part of that was due to injury. But part was due to a shift in focus. A choice was made. I did not choose to do poorly in track, but I did choose to take my academics more seriously. Maybe some people can be good at everything, but for most of us, we need to focus on one thing at a time. Multitasking is a great way to become mediocre at everything.

Do I regret my choice? No. Sometimes I get a little wistful about what could have been, maybe if I had gone to a different school or met different people. But I don’t regret focusing on my school work, getting a degree that actually meant something. It made me who I am, and I like the way I turned out.

Star Liner

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All That We See or Seem by Ken Liu

My first experience with cyberpunk as a genre of science fiction was Neuromancer by William Gibson. Neuromancer was one of the early works that defined the cyberpunk genre. It was insanely influential. It won the Hugo Award, the Nebula Award, the Philip K. Dick Award. But for me, it just did not resonate. I had a hard time visualizing the concepts. It left a bad taste in my mouth for cyberpunk. I mostly avoided the genre. Then a couple of years ago I read Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson which is cyberpunk (although some people say it is a parody of cyberpunk). Whatever, I liked it. I recently picked up All That We See or Seem by Ken Liu and it immediately became apparent to me that this was cyberpunk. Julia Z is the main character, and I think this is going to be the start of a series following her. She is a hacker (hence cyberpunk). She has got herself in trouble and so she lives on the margins, barely making it. Then a lawyer asks her for her help. His wife has been kidnapped. The ...

The Linear Nature of Time

    Go Go back Go back to the time before Before you did it Before they did it Before it was done to you Before the toast fell on the floor Before the catastrophe Before the mistake Before time’s scars Before   Go Go back Redeem it Rework it Fix it Go back   No you cannot Go back Star Liner

Um . . . Maybe We Shouldn’t Be Here

                                                                                                                                               Art by Mollyroselee Way back in ancient times when I was in high school, I had a girlfriend. I lived in Eugene and she lived in a little community, about 10 miles away. Being as we were teenagers, finding places to “make-out” was high on our priorities. This was my first serious girlfriend and neither one of us were very experienced at having a relationship. Just to be clear, our make-out sessions did not advance to the ultimate step. But it was not easy to find a place to have some privacy. D...