Skip to main content

Public Speaking

 


When I was in school, occasionally a teacher would inform us that we would be required to do some kind of assignment (a book report or some such) and when we were finished, we would be required to give an oral report to the class. I cannot begin to tell you how much anxiety this put me through. If said oral report was a month away, I had a month of torture (self-torture). I guess I was envisioning all the ways it could go wrong, and how I would make a fool of myself. As soon as a teacher would announce it, I would start getting that feeling in my stomach, like I had just swallowed a bunch of lead weighs. I would think about it every night.

Anxiety. I probably didn’t know what that word meant back then, but anxiety and I were fast friends.

The day would eventually come and I would walk up to give my report, shaking. Somehow, I would get through it and the anxiety would drain away, at least until the next time. Sometimes when I didn’t even have an oral report scheduled, I would worry about the possibility of one of my teachers assigning one. Yeah, I had it bad.

But as I was making my way through my final years of high school, I came upon the realization that I wanted to become a teacher. Do you see the logical inconsistency here? I apparently didn’t. What was I thinking?

As I began college life, I was taking all the basic courses that everybody had to take, but I had an eye toward classes that I would need if I wanted to be a teacher. One class sat ominously in my future. Speech. That was a class I was going to have to take at some point but I tried to live in denial. I didn’t have to take it my first year, so that was a long way off, right? Eventually I found myself in the second year. I put off Speech until Winter term, but it was coming down to the wire. I was going to have to take it. I signed up for the class with dread. Maybe, I thought, I could start the class but drop it before I had to give my first speech. Then maybe I could put it off another year. These are the kinds of things that go through your head when you are an anxiety ridden basket case like I was.

The first day of class came and I could feel it in the pit of my stomach. Just remember, you can quit before your first speech. That was what I kept telling myself. That kept me going. We all sat down for the first class, and the professor said, “Find the person sitting next to you. I want you to interview each other. You just have about 3 minutes each. Then each of you is going to come up and tell us at least three things about your neighbor. Go!”

My stomach dropped further. I hate this, I hate this. I hate this, I kept thinking. I am dropping this class as soon as I can! Somehow, I managed to make it to the second class, tension in my neck. The professor got up and said, “unfortunately the last class ended and everybody left before I had a chance to say this: For all of you who were planning on dropping this class before you had to make your first speech, too late. You already made one. And that will be the toughest speech you have to give. You had to interview someone you didn’t know and with no research and almost no preparation, you all gave credible speeches.” Huh. Tricky. I looked around and realized how many others were like me with the same anxiety I had, and we were all feeling a little better about this class. And it was nice to know that I wasn’t alone, that others had the same feelings that I had. Over the course of the term our professor gave us helpful tips and strategies. The speeches that I gave in class wouldn’t win any awards, but they weren’t bad and I managed to do them without turning into a basket case each time.

That class that I had so hated the idea of taking, changed me. It made the dream of becoming a teacher, attainable (even though that was not where I ultimately wound up). A few years after college I got a temporary job for the Forest Service Leading nature walks, giving talks and presentations to campers. I loved that job! Yet a few years earlier, that would have been unthinkable. Public speaking no longer held any terror for me.

Not long after this I started acting in community theater; actually acting in front of a crowd of people. Though, for an introvert, that’s not as hard as it sounds. If you are acting, you are putting on a character. It’s not you that is making a fool of yourself, it is the character. Still, getting over my public speaking phobia helped ease me into theater. I have been in probably fifty plays over the last thirty years.

Because of one speech class in college, (a class that I didn’t want to take) a world of opportunities opened up for me. Sometimes it is difficult to imagine the impact that one class, or one person can have on your life.

Star Liner

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Trip Home

  My wife and I recently returned from a trip to New York to visit my son and his wife. What follows is an excerpt of my notes from that trip. Departure day. So we and the kids (adult kids) leave by 5:30 AM. These “kids” are night owls. They rarely wake before 10:00 if they don’t have to, so we appreciate the sacrifice. Daughter-in-Law (DIL) drove us the 30 minutes to the train station. Hugs and good-byes for her (we love DIL. DIL is an irresistible force). Son navigates us a route to the platform with fewer stairs than the way we came. We get a ticket and get on the train headed for the big city and Grand Central Station. I soon realize that this train is not an express train like the one we took coming out. Instead of taking a little over an hour like we did before, this one would take a little over an hour and a half. We stop at places with names like Cold Springs and Peekskill (on this trip we saw a lot of place names that ended in “kill” including Kaatskill, i.e. Catskill, and

That 70's Decade

  Can a decade become a caricature? My teen years were in the 1970’s and none of us who lived through the 70’s thought our decade was going to be a figure of fun. When you are a part of it, you don’t realize what people are going to make fun of later. I think there are two reasons why people snicker when the 70’s are mentioned: clothing styles and Disco. Both things could be called extensions of trends that started in the 60’s. When the hippy styles of the 60’s became more formalized for the dance floor, the result was (in hindsight) rather bizarre. They did not seem bizarre at the time. People following present fashion trends never understand that they are wearing something that will be laughed at in ten years. Yes, I did have a pair of bell-bottom blue jeans (are they making a comeback?) The mere mention of the 1970’s conjures up someone in a ridiculous pose wearing a disco suit. We who lived through the 70’s just went about our normal life. There were quite a lot of things that ha

Tyranny of the Masses

  I was listening to Benjamin Netanyahu on the radio. He was justifying his change in the law that removed power from the Israeli Supreme Court, saying that it was the will of the people. Majority rules. This made me think of “Tyranny of the masses,” a concept that notes: just because a majority of people are for something, that doesn’t make it right. I am sure you can think of historical examples where the people of a country supported a policy that was demonstrably wrong. When everything is completely governed by majority rule, the rights of the minority can be subverted by the majority. The framers of our American Constitution knew this, and tried to put in some checks and balances into our system of government. This was to guard against all forms of tyranny whether from a dictator, or from tyranny of the masses. One of those checks is that we have a representative government. The people themselves don’t pass laws, but instead elect representatives at the federal and local level t