Skip to main content

A Night Without Stars: A Review


 

Peter F. Hamilton’s A Night Without Stars is a sequel to The Abyss Beyond Dreams, which I reviewed a few weeks ago. Most of the story takes place many decades after the first book, so most of the characters are new. Though some characters come from the Commonwealth which has developed a functional version of immortality by downloading their brains into a new body or a machine body. But the people stuck on the planet Bienvenido have been sealed off from the Commonwealth for thousands of years (by their reckoning). Bienvenido is cut off from everything, having been cast out of the Void into intergalactic space.

I am glad that this takes place so far removed from the first book because Svlasta (the protagonist from that book) grew increasingly hard to like as that book progressed. Thankfully he is long dead before most of the events of this book take place. And yet, we find ourselves with another troubling protagonist in A Night without Stars. Chaing is a security officer. His fanaticism to the cause is troubling but his coworker Jenifa, is even worse. Fortunately, there are other point-of-view characters that we actually want to win, and we get to spend a lot of time with them.

One of Hamilton’s strengths is world building.  There is a rich, complex cast of characters, and you are never able to predict where the story is going. Are they going to get out of this apocalypse? If so, how? When I found myself running my expectations forward, I was inevitably surprised by where the story went. I also like that the characters are in shades of gray. There are good guys and bad guys but (with only a couple of exceptions) the good guys are not all good and the bad guys are not all bad. This makes the characters more interesting and less predictable. One notable exception is the character of Jenifa who is rather ambiguous at the start of the novel, but by the end is an over-the-top mustache-twirling villain. This is a bit out of step with the rest of Hamilton’s writing. But this is a minor problem with all the rich characters to follow.

In The Commonwealth Series, of which this pair of books is a part, the technology is so far advanced from ours that it can be a bit hard to take in. But these two books take place (for the most part) on a world that has been technologically stunted and is only now beginning to build things like telephones and rockets. Contact with others from outside this world leads to inevitable resistance and culture shock. But the world of Bienvenido needs help from the outsiders if it is going to survive. Those in power tend to have closed minds. Even when their survival hangs in the balance, they stubbornly mistrust the outsiders. The question becomes: can they get over their mistrust enough to let the Commonwealth people help? I can see parallels to current politics where the sides are so deeply entrenched. I suspect that is not by accident.

Hamilton writes space opera on a grand scale, and this one did not disappoint.

Star Liner


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All That We See or Seem by Ken Liu

My first experience with cyberpunk as a genre of science fiction was Neuromancer by William Gibson. Neuromancer was one of the early works that defined the cyberpunk genre. It was insanely influential. It won the Hugo Award, the Nebula Award, the Philip K. Dick Award. But for me, it just did not resonate. I had a hard time visualizing the concepts. It left a bad taste in my mouth for cyberpunk. I mostly avoided the genre. Then a couple of years ago I read Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson which is cyberpunk (although some people say it is a parody of cyberpunk). Whatever, I liked it. I recently picked up All That We See or Seem by Ken Liu and it immediately became apparent to me that this was cyberpunk. Julia Z is the main character, and I think this is going to be the start of a series following her. She is a hacker (hence cyberpunk). She has got herself in trouble and so she lives on the margins, barely making it. Then a lawyer asks her for her help. His wife has been kidnapped. The ...

The Linear Nature of Time

    Go Go back Go back to the time before Before you did it Before they did it Before it was done to you Before the toast fell on the floor Before the catastrophe Before the mistake Before time’s scars Before   Go Go back Redeem it Rework it Fix it Go back   No you cannot Go back Star Liner

The Screaming Silence

  As I have mentioned, I worked for two seasons on the Spotted Owl Survey for the US Forest Service back in the day. This involved setting up stations around areas that were scheduled for timber harvesting to see if there were owls nesting there. We would look at a topographic map and see where we needed to put stations (usually along logging roads) so that we could get complete coverage of the area to be harvested. We would go out during the day and mark these stations with ribbons, then at night we would go to each station and “hoot” for ten minutes. If we did not get a response, we would move on to the next station and so on until we could be sure there were no spotted owls in the vicinity. This meant we were working at night in the woods. There is a lot of wildlife activity at night in the woods. It is not just owls, a fair number of wildlife are nocturnal. We saw coyotes, bobcats, cougars, bats, frogs, deer, elk, among other things. But it was not just seeing the wildlife, ...