Skip to main content

Spotted Owls (part 2)


 

(This is a continuation and conclusion of last week’s blog)

So, why do northern spotted owls like old growth? They don’t “like” old growth; they are adapted to life in an old growth forest. Thousands of years of evolution have honed their bodies and their behavior to be successful in that habitat. Can spotted owls fly to a different kind of habitat? Of course. They are birds. They can fly wherever they want, and frequently do. It is possible to find one in a second growth forest or even in a clear-cut area. Just like it is possible to find me at the beach, or in a desert, or on a mountain, but I don’t live there. Spotted owls live in old growth forest. That is where their major prey types are to be found: mainly flying squirrels and red tree voles. They can eat other things but this is the diet that gets them the energy they need to be able to reproduce. It takes a lot more energy to nest, produce offspring, and raise those offspring, than it does merely to survive.

Having located a spotted owl on a night-time survey, we would follow it up the next day to try to track down the bird in daylight. Following the azimuth, we recorded the night before (with some realistic allowances for terrain) we would push our way into the forest, hooting every few minutes. We had to hoot frequently because spotted owls are less active and less aware in the daytime. We followed the approximate azimuth, hooting for the prescribed time and if there was no response in the given time limit, we returned to the ranger station and documented the negative result.

The first time I got a response on a daytime follow-up was as exciting as the first time I got a night-time response. My partner was as thrilled as I was. I hooted a few more times and the bird flew to us. He just sat on a branch watching us. We were the strangest spotted owls he had ever seen. Now for our next trick. I took off my backpack and produced the big coffee can that held live mice. I knew what to do, but this was the first time I had done this, so I was not sure what would happen. I picked a mouse out of the can and set it on a stump. My partner and I backed away. The mouse sat there for a minute, not sure what was happening. Then it began to explore the top of the stump, nosing around its new environment. I had wondered if the mouse would just run away, scurrying into the forest, but no, it was not in the mood for running. It was a sitting duck when the owl decided the temptation was too much. It swooped down with its wide graceful wings outstretched, snatching the mouse. He flew up to a branch and devoured his prey. My partner and I were just sitting there with our mouths open. He finished his meal and looked around, occasionally eyeballing us. I placed another mouse on the stump. Protocol said we were to keep feeding him mice until either he took one and flew off to his nest (hopefully giving us a chance to follow to the nest and confirm a breeding pair), or ate four mice. The protocol said that if he ate four mice without taking any to the nest then he was not part of a breeding pair for that season. It seemed kind of random to me, but I guess those in charge had their reasons.

At some point this bird flew off with a mouse and we gave chase. If you can call it giving chase when he can fly and we were on foot fighting through the brush. Fortunately for us there was a nest and it was close by. After coaxing him with another mouse, he snatched it and took it up to a hollow in a tall rotten snag. There we saw the female. Bingo. Breeding pair confirmed. Our job was done.

Spotted owls are the epitome of stealth. They have fringed feathers that makes their flight almost completely silent. One time on a daytime visit, my Partner and I had been hooting and hooting for some time when all of a sudden, my partner said, “oh, hello.” I looked where she was looking. There was a spotted owl sitting on a branch not ten feet away watching us. We had no idea how long he had been there. Their mottled coloration also lets them blend in with the forest. I think I wasted four rolls of film (yes, that was back in the day when cameras required film) before I finally got one good picture of a spotted owl. So, they are hard to see and hard to hear, excellent qualities for sneaking up on prey.

But that does not make them invulnerable. With their habitat shrinking, the energy requirements for breeding are harder to attain. Their population began to decline. How many of the other thousands of species that live in the old growth forests are also in decline? The jury is still out on that, but it is safe to say that it is a concern. At any rate, as I was ending my time with the Forest Service, the spotted owl became officially listed as a threatened species on the Endangered Species List. Monitoring the status of the owl population became the responsibility of the US Fish and Wildlife Service. My time was done, but it was one of the more fascinating jobs I ever had. Earlier in the summer my partner Monica and I were talking about the fact that we were working ourselves out of jobs (less timber harvesting meant less money to the agency. Temporary workers like Monica and I would be the first ones cut). Monica said, “I’m actually okay with that. I can get another job. The spotted owl can’t.”

Star Liner

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Trip Home

  My wife and I recently returned from a trip to New York to visit my son and his wife. What follows is an excerpt of my notes from that trip. Departure day. So we and the kids (adult kids) leave by 5:30 AM. These “kids” are night owls. They rarely wake before 10:00 if they don’t have to, so we appreciate the sacrifice. Daughter-in-Law (DIL) drove us the 30 minutes to the train station. Hugs and good-byes for her (we love DIL. DIL is an irresistible force). Son navigates us a route to the platform with fewer stairs than the way we came. We get a ticket and get on the train headed for the big city and Grand Central Station. I soon realize that this train is not an express train like the one we took coming out. Instead of taking a little over an hour like we did before, this one would take a little over an hour and a half. We stop at places with names like Cold Springs and Peekskill (on this trip we saw a lot of place names that ended in “kill” including Kaatskill, i.e. Catskill, and

That 70's Decade

  Can a decade become a caricature? My teen years were in the 1970’s and none of us who lived through the 70’s thought our decade was going to be a figure of fun. When you are a part of it, you don’t realize what people are going to make fun of later. I think there are two reasons why people snicker when the 70’s are mentioned: clothing styles and Disco. Both things could be called extensions of trends that started in the 60’s. When the hippy styles of the 60’s became more formalized for the dance floor, the result was (in hindsight) rather bizarre. They did not seem bizarre at the time. People following present fashion trends never understand that they are wearing something that will be laughed at in ten years. Yes, I did have a pair of bell-bottom blue jeans (are they making a comeback?) The mere mention of the 1970’s conjures up someone in a ridiculous pose wearing a disco suit. We who lived through the 70’s just went about our normal life. There were quite a lot of things that ha

Tyranny of the Masses

  I was listening to Benjamin Netanyahu on the radio. He was justifying his change in the law that removed power from the Israeli Supreme Court, saying that it was the will of the people. Majority rules. This made me think of “Tyranny of the masses,” a concept that notes: just because a majority of people are for something, that doesn’t make it right. I am sure you can think of historical examples where the people of a country supported a policy that was demonstrably wrong. When everything is completely governed by majority rule, the rights of the minority can be subverted by the majority. The framers of our American Constitution knew this, and tried to put in some checks and balances into our system of government. This was to guard against all forms of tyranny whether from a dictator, or from tyranny of the masses. One of those checks is that we have a representative government. The people themselves don’t pass laws, but instead elect representatives at the federal and local level t