Skip to main content

Project Hail Mary: A Review

 



Andy Weir, best known for writing The Martian, wrote my latest read: Project Hail Mary. I have seen the movie The Martian, but not read the book. After reading Project Hail Mary, I think I need to read it. Andy Weir is a good writer.

Project Hail Mary begins as a “how did I get here” kind of a story. The mystery slowly unfurls as the story progresses. We gradually see that because of an unexpected development, the Earth is facing a mass extinction event that will drastically change the habitability of Earth over the next 30 to 40 years. There are two ways humanity can react to a situation like this. They can deny it. Or they can take it seriously and throw every resource at it. In this story, I am glad to say, they took it seriously. This is good because in this case anything less than total commitment would be the end. The world leaders have given administrator Stratt almost total power to acquire whatever team and resources she needs. She latches onto our hero, Ryland Grace, a former disgruntled molecular biologist, now working as a middle school science teacher.  And it is Grace who finds himself hurtling through space, unaware of how he got there. His memories gradually come back in bits and pieces and we thus get our back story. Ryland hates the almost dictatorial power that Stratt has had over him and everyone else, but it is the only way that humanity has any hope of surviving what’s coming.

SPOILER ALERT

What makes this story truly great is the friendship at the heart of it. Friendship stories are the best and this is the best of the best. Grace and Rocky are in some ways very similar, both love science and discovering things and solving problems. They are also very different, mainly because Ryland is a human and Rocky is a creature from a planet in the 40 Eridani system.  When Ryland see’s Rocky for the first time, his responses is: “He is a spider. A big-assed spider.” Rocky’s species have no eyesight (they use echo-location to “see” their surroundings) and live in heat and pressure that would kill humans. They breathe an atmosphere that is mostly ammonia. How could these two possibly get together? How could they possibly communicate? They figure it out, and their methods are logical. Since the human is a scientist and the Eridian is an engineer, they think along similar lines. They have science in common.

The bond between them eventually becomes so strong that they each risk their lives to save the other. It is actually quite touching. I never would have thought I could be moved by a big-assed spider, but there you are.

I can heartily recommend Project Hail Mary, even if you don’t like spiders.

Star Liner

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All That We See or Seem by Ken Liu

My first experience with cyberpunk as a genre of science fiction was Neuromancer by William Gibson. Neuromancer was one of the early works that defined the cyberpunk genre. It was insanely influential. It won the Hugo Award, the Nebula Award, the Philip K. Dick Award. But for me, it just did not resonate. I had a hard time visualizing the concepts. It left a bad taste in my mouth for cyberpunk. I mostly avoided the genre. Then a couple of years ago I read Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson which is cyberpunk (although some people say it is a parody of cyberpunk). Whatever, I liked it. I recently picked up All That We See or Seem by Ken Liu and it immediately became apparent to me that this was cyberpunk. Julia Z is the main character, and I think this is going to be the start of a series following her. She is a hacker (hence cyberpunk). She has got herself in trouble and so she lives on the margins, barely making it. Then a lawyer asks her for her help. His wife has been kidnapped. The ...

The Linear Nature of Time

    Go Go back Go back to the time before Before you did it Before they did it Before it was done to you Before the toast fell on the floor Before the catastrophe Before the mistake Before time’s scars Before   Go Go back Redeem it Rework it Fix it Go back   No you cannot Go back Star Liner

The Screaming Silence

  As I have mentioned, I worked for two seasons on the Spotted Owl Survey for the US Forest Service back in the day. This involved setting up stations around areas that were scheduled for timber harvesting to see if there were owls nesting there. We would look at a topographic map and see where we needed to put stations (usually along logging roads) so that we could get complete coverage of the area to be harvested. We would go out during the day and mark these stations with ribbons, then at night we would go to each station and “hoot” for ten minutes. If we did not get a response, we would move on to the next station and so on until we could be sure there were no spotted owls in the vicinity. This meant we were working at night in the woods. There is a lot of wildlife activity at night in the woods. It is not just owls, a fair number of wildlife are nocturnal. We saw coyotes, bobcats, cougars, bats, frogs, deer, elk, among other things. But it was not just seeing the wildlife, ...