Skip to main content

The House of Rust

 


What a bizarre little story. When I say bizarre, I mean that mostly in a good way. The House of Rust  by Khadija Abdalla Bajaber is a fantasy that takes place in and around Mombasa, and out to sea in a very strange sea. Our main character is Aisha, a girl who does not fit into the mold that everyone keeps trying to place her. When her father is lost at sea, she takes it upon herself to go out and bring him back (with the help of a talking cat).

There be monsters here.

Yes, Aisha finds monsters at sea. Monsters that she has to either outsmart or be eaten by. And on land it turns out the world is far more complicated than she could have imagined. It is not just cats who can understand her. Many animals can, though they pretend not to. It is an interwoven tapestry of a story that is filled with wonder. But at times the story takes a twist that leaves me puzzled.

The world is just too strange and wonderful for Aisha to possibly settle down. She has seen a glimpse of something bigger, and she wants it.  She knows that she does not want a traditional life. There is a nice boy that likes her, potential husband material. Grandmother is thrilled. Aisha is not. Her grandmother has been the dominant force in Aisha’s life, and Aisha genuinely loves and respects her, but when Aisha’s eyes are opened to a new world, we know that a choice will have to be made.

I really liked the first half of the House of Rust. It is filled with a magical adventure. It is weird and creepy and thought provoking. The second half doesn’t quite live up to the promise of the first half. Perhaps that is my fault. The book did not go where I wanted it to go. Authors are not obliged to go where I want them to go. My personal preference would have been for a better tie-in to the adventure from the first half. But to each their own.

I will say that The House of Rust is well written with compelling characters. If you are looking for something different in the fantasy realm, this is very different.

Star Liner

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All That We See or Seem by Ken Liu

My first experience with cyberpunk as a genre of science fiction was Neuromancer by William Gibson. Neuromancer was one of the early works that defined the cyberpunk genre. It was insanely influential. It won the Hugo Award, the Nebula Award, the Philip K. Dick Award. But for me, it just did not resonate. I had a hard time visualizing the concepts. It left a bad taste in my mouth for cyberpunk. I mostly avoided the genre. Then a couple of years ago I read Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson which is cyberpunk (although some people say it is a parody of cyberpunk). Whatever, I liked it. I recently picked up All That We See or Seem by Ken Liu and it immediately became apparent to me that this was cyberpunk. Julia Z is the main character, and I think this is going to be the start of a series following her. She is a hacker (hence cyberpunk). She has got herself in trouble and so she lives on the margins, barely making it. Then a lawyer asks her for her help. His wife has been kidnapped. The ...

The Linear Nature of Time

    Go Go back Go back to the time before Before you did it Before they did it Before it was done to you Before the toast fell on the floor Before the catastrophe Before the mistake Before time’s scars Before   Go Go back Redeem it Rework it Fix it Go back   No you cannot Go back Star Liner

The Screaming Silence

  As I have mentioned, I worked for two seasons on the Spotted Owl Survey for the US Forest Service back in the day. This involved setting up stations around areas that were scheduled for timber harvesting to see if there were owls nesting there. We would look at a topographic map and see where we needed to put stations (usually along logging roads) so that we could get complete coverage of the area to be harvested. We would go out during the day and mark these stations with ribbons, then at night we would go to each station and “hoot” for ten minutes. If we did not get a response, we would move on to the next station and so on until we could be sure there were no spotted owls in the vicinity. This meant we were working at night in the woods. There is a lot of wildlife activity at night in the woods. It is not just owls, a fair number of wildlife are nocturnal. We saw coyotes, bobcats, cougars, bats, frogs, deer, elk, among other things. But it was not just seeing the wildlife, ...