Skip to main content

The Book Thief

 


If I told you The Book Thief by Markus Zusak is about an orphan girl who watched her brother die and is then given over to foster parents who are dirt poor (the mother calls her names and swears like a sailor) and that all this takes place in NAZI Germany starting on the eve of World War II, you would think that sounds like a depressing book. You would be wrong.

The narrator of this story is Death. This seems fitting for a story that takes place in NAZI Germany, but this Death is at times sensitive and even, dare I say it, likeable. He/she/it does their job, no question about it, collecting souls in record numbers. Death has spent quite a bit of time watching Liesel (our main character). Liesel is thrown into an unfamiliar world. Even though her foster mother, Rosa, is hard and berates her, Death assures us that Rosa loves her in her own way.

The fact that Liesel’s family is poor does not mean that she leads an uninteresting life. She has adventures with her friend Rudy and she has her part-time avocation of book thievery. Although, as thieves go, she is pretty harmless.

We are given a slice of life, what it was like growing up in NAZI Germany. We watch some people who fanatically embrace the Fuhrer and everything he stands for. We see others who do not believe in the system but who seem to go along with it so as not to become targets. We cannot really blame them, because we see what happens to anyone who attempts even the smallest of rebellion.  So, Liesel and her friends join the Hitler Youth because they have to. It is a requirement.  But when Liesel tells her stepfather Hans that she hates the Fuhrer, Hans slaps her. It is the only time he ever raises a hand to her. It is not because he disagrees with her, but he impresses on her that she must never say anything like that when she is outside of their home. Such words could get Liesel and the whole family killed.

As you might expect, there are certainly hard, troubling things in this book. Yet it is told with enough humor and love that it is palatable. Death frequently tells us what is coming, both good and bad. This is not so much foreshadowing as it is a giving out of spoilers. And yet, the spoilers do not really spoil anything but somehow enhance it. I can't explain that. You will just have to read it. 

I loved this story. The characters will stay with me a long time. I laughed and I cried, and I kept turning pages. There is beauty in this book. The beauty comes not from anyone’s appearance, but from the shining light we see they have inside them. In a world where all the cards are stacked against them, Liesel, Rudy, and her foster parents are good people who have a secretive kind of courage inside them.

 Yes, even book thieves can be good people.

Star Liner

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All That We See or Seem by Ken Liu

My first experience with cyberpunk as a genre of science fiction was Neuromancer by William Gibson. Neuromancer was one of the early works that defined the cyberpunk genre. It was insanely influential. It won the Hugo Award, the Nebula Award, the Philip K. Dick Award. But for me, it just did not resonate. I had a hard time visualizing the concepts. It left a bad taste in my mouth for cyberpunk. I mostly avoided the genre. Then a couple of years ago I read Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson which is cyberpunk (although some people say it is a parody of cyberpunk). Whatever, I liked it. I recently picked up All That We See or Seem by Ken Liu and it immediately became apparent to me that this was cyberpunk. Julia Z is the main character, and I think this is going to be the start of a series following her. She is a hacker (hence cyberpunk). She has got herself in trouble and so she lives on the margins, barely making it. Then a lawyer asks her for her help. His wife has been kidnapped. The ...

The Linear Nature of Time

    Go Go back Go back to the time before Before you did it Before they did it Before it was done to you Before the toast fell on the floor Before the catastrophe Before the mistake Before time’s scars Before   Go Go back Redeem it Rework it Fix it Go back   No you cannot Go back Star Liner

The Screaming Silence

  As I have mentioned, I worked for two seasons on the Spotted Owl Survey for the US Forest Service back in the day. This involved setting up stations around areas that were scheduled for timber harvesting to see if there were owls nesting there. We would look at a topographic map and see where we needed to put stations (usually along logging roads) so that we could get complete coverage of the area to be harvested. We would go out during the day and mark these stations with ribbons, then at night we would go to each station and “hoot” for ten minutes. If we did not get a response, we would move on to the next station and so on until we could be sure there were no spotted owls in the vicinity. This meant we were working at night in the woods. There is a lot of wildlife activity at night in the woods. It is not just owls, a fair number of wildlife are nocturnal. We saw coyotes, bobcats, cougars, bats, frogs, deer, elk, among other things. But it was not just seeing the wildlife, ...