Skip to main content

Excession by Iain M. Banks (a review)

 


Iain M. Banks was a master of world building, or perhaps I should say Galaxy building since The Culture series by Banks takes place over pretty much the entire Galaxy over thousands of years. I have been reading the Culture books out of order, just because I happened upon them in the order I did. But since of the scope of the series is so vast with so many characters, I really don’t think it matters much in what order you read them.

 Much of the heavy lifting of running a galactic civilization is given over to artificial intelligence. The AIs that attain great prowess are called Minds (Minds with a capital M). Each gigantic ship that is nearly a world to itself, is run by a Mind. The Mind is the ship. The humans can kick back and enjoy themselves. But sometimes the humans get caught up into the intrigue of the Minds.

No spoilers here. I don’t think it would be possible for me to explain enough to generate a spoiler. But the Minds do have their own agendas. Some involve helping the humans. Some involve messing things up to see what happens. And some just go off to do their own thing.  Banks is good at developing personalities. And by personalities, I mean humans, aliens, and Minds. The artificial intelligences prove themselves to be just as petty, brave, wily, caring, manipulative, or dysfunctional as we are. There are plenty of human characters, but I think in this novel in particular, it is the Minds who take center stage. It can be difficult to keep track of who’s who. The ships/Minds all have wonderfully Banksian names like Shoot Them Later, or Fate Amenable to Change, or Serious Callers Only, or Anticipation of a New Lover’s Arrival (yes, these are ship’s names). There are so many of them and they have many conversations. It is impossible to determine what side they are on (and that’s the point. It all has to unfold in good time).

At the center of it all is an enigma, an anomaly in space. It is an “excession.” Is it a key to other universes, to untold power, or to utter destruction? The ships each have their own opinions. In the end we see the full spectrum of the human condition (because what are the Minds, if not an extension of humanity?) The good guys are not all good, and the bad guys are not all bad. And there are some that we can never characterize. It did keep me engaged through all the twists and turns. That is the talent of a master world builder.

Star Liner

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All That We See or Seem by Ken Liu

My first experience with cyberpunk as a genre of science fiction was Neuromancer by William Gibson. Neuromancer was one of the early works that defined the cyberpunk genre. It was insanely influential. It won the Hugo Award, the Nebula Award, the Philip K. Dick Award. But for me, it just did not resonate. I had a hard time visualizing the concepts. It left a bad taste in my mouth for cyberpunk. I mostly avoided the genre. Then a couple of years ago I read Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson which is cyberpunk (although some people say it is a parody of cyberpunk). Whatever, I liked it. I recently picked up All That We See or Seem by Ken Liu and it immediately became apparent to me that this was cyberpunk. Julia Z is the main character, and I think this is going to be the start of a series following her. She is a hacker (hence cyberpunk). She has got herself in trouble and so she lives on the margins, barely making it. Then a lawyer asks her for her help. His wife has been kidnapped. The ...

The Linear Nature of Time

    Go Go back Go back to the time before Before you did it Before they did it Before it was done to you Before the toast fell on the floor Before the catastrophe Before the mistake Before time’s scars Before   Go Go back Redeem it Rework it Fix it Go back   No you cannot Go back Star Liner

Um . . . Maybe We Shouldn’t Be Here

                                                                                                                                               Art by Mollyroselee Way back in ancient times when I was in high school, I had a girlfriend. I lived in Eugene and she lived in a little community, about 10 miles away. Being as we were teenagers, finding places to “make-out” was high on our priorities. This was my first serious girlfriend and neither one of us were very experienced at having a relationship. Just to be clear, our make-out sessions did not advance to the ultimate step. But it was not easy to find a place to have some privacy. D...