Skip to main content

The Martian by Andy Weir (book review)

 



A number of years ago I saw the movie, The Martian and I loved it (see my blog The Best science Fiction Films Part 1). I had heard that the film was based on the novel by Andy Weir, and I thought to myself that I must someday read the book. That someday came as I was walking through an independent bookstore and saw it on the shelf.  I thought, why not? I had read Weir’s book Project Hail Mary a few months ago and liked it very much.

The reason I wanted to read The Martian was because books are always different than the movie (and usually better). From the movie I knew the major plot points and how it would end, but I could live with that to satisfy my curiosity about the writing. First, I will say that the movie follows the book fairly closely. There is one major plot point as well as a few minor ones that were left out of the movie, but overall, it was a faithful adaptation of the book. 

Astronaut Mark Watney is left behind on Mars. Everyone assumes he is dead, but he is not. Now he has to figure out if there is any way he can stay alive long enough to be rescued. What I like about the book were the same things I liked about the movie. For one thing, Science is the star. Mark Watney’s life on Mars is just one damn thing after another, and he has to use science and math to figure his way out of each potentially deadly situation. He doesn’t give up; he starts calculating. The solutions he comes up with are logical and plausible with the materials he has on hand. Not that anyone would normally survive this situation. The fact that he is a botanist and a mechanical engineer gives him the skill set he needs to stay alive. This is a science fiction story, but it is almost not a science fiction story. By that, I mean that there is nothing particularly speculative about the story. It is not set much in the future. In the movie version, it looks like the present day. There are no futuristic cars or phones or clothes. It looks like it is taking place next week. I think that was a very conscious choice by the filmmakers. It matches the feel of the book. There is no new technology or breakthrough concepts. Today, if we had the funding and the wherewithal to go to Mars, the missions might look very much like the missions described in the book.

Much of what we are reading in the book is Mark Watney’s diary. The bonus for us, the readers, is that Watney is a funny guy. Even though he gets into some rather tense moments, the book is amusing. Speaking of tension, there is a section of the book that is not in the movie where the tension builds and builds. We, the audience know what is going on, but Mark does not. We want to scream at Watney, to tell him what’s coming, but we can’t. That makes for some edge-of-your-seat reading.

There is, in my opinion, one flaw in the movie. It is a moment that stretches plausibility to the breaking point. It is really the only scene of the movie that is not believable. That moment is not in the book. Apparently, Hollywood being Hollywood, just had to throw in a Hail Mary (see what I did there). Anyway, the book remains plausible throughout.

I still love the movie, and I love the book. And I would encourage fans of the movie to give the book a try. I don’t think you will be sorry.

Star Liner

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Trip Home

  My wife and I recently returned from a trip to New York to visit my son and his wife. What follows is an excerpt of my notes from that trip. Departure day. So we and the kids (adult kids) leave by 5:30 AM. These “kids” are night owls. They rarely wake before 10:00 if they don’t have to, so we appreciate the sacrifice. Daughter-in-Law (DIL) drove us the 30 minutes to the train station. Hugs and good-byes for her (we love DIL. DIL is an irresistible force). Son navigates us a route to the platform with fewer stairs than the way we came. We get a ticket and get on the train headed for the big city and Grand Central Station. I soon realize that this train is not an express train like the one we took coming out. Instead of taking a little over an hour like we did before, this one would take a little over an hour and a half. We stop at places with names like Cold Springs and Peekskill (on this trip we saw a lot of place names that ended in “kill” including Kaatskill, i.e. Catskill, and

That 70's Decade

  Can a decade become a caricature? My teen years were in the 1970’s and none of us who lived through the 70’s thought our decade was going to be a figure of fun. When you are a part of it, you don’t realize what people are going to make fun of later. I think there are two reasons why people snicker when the 70’s are mentioned: clothing styles and Disco. Both things could be called extensions of trends that started in the 60’s. When the hippy styles of the 60’s became more formalized for the dance floor, the result was (in hindsight) rather bizarre. They did not seem bizarre at the time. People following present fashion trends never understand that they are wearing something that will be laughed at in ten years. Yes, I did have a pair of bell-bottom blue jeans (are they making a comeback?) The mere mention of the 1970’s conjures up someone in a ridiculous pose wearing a disco suit. We who lived through the 70’s just went about our normal life. There were quite a lot of things that ha

Tyranny of the Masses

  I was listening to Benjamin Netanyahu on the radio. He was justifying his change in the law that removed power from the Israeli Supreme Court, saying that it was the will of the people. Majority rules. This made me think of “Tyranny of the masses,” a concept that notes: just because a majority of people are for something, that doesn’t make it right. I am sure you can think of historical examples where the people of a country supported a policy that was demonstrably wrong. When everything is completely governed by majority rule, the rights of the minority can be subverted by the majority. The framers of our American Constitution knew this, and tried to put in some checks and balances into our system of government. This was to guard against all forms of tyranny whether from a dictator, or from tyranny of the masses. One of those checks is that we have a representative government. The people themselves don’t pass laws, but instead elect representatives at the federal and local level t