Skip to main content

The Martian by Andy Weir (book review)

 



A number of years ago I saw the movie, The Martian and I loved it (see my blog The Best science Fiction Films Part 1). I had heard that the film was based on the novel by Andy Weir, and I thought to myself that I must someday read the book. That someday came as I was walking through an independent bookstore and saw it on the shelf.  I thought, why not? I had read Weir’s book Project Hail Mary a few months ago and liked it very much.

The reason I wanted to read The Martian was because books are always different than the movie (and usually better). From the movie I knew the major plot points and how it would end, but I could live with that to satisfy my curiosity about the writing. First, I will say that the movie follows the book fairly closely. There is one major plot point as well as a few minor ones that were left out of the movie, but overall, it was a faithful adaptation of the book. 

Astronaut Mark Watney is left behind on Mars. Everyone assumes he is dead, but he is not. Now he has to figure out if there is any way he can stay alive long enough to be rescued. What I like about the book were the same things I liked about the movie. For one thing, Science is the star. Mark Watney’s life on Mars is just one damn thing after another, and he has to use science and math to figure his way out of each potentially deadly situation. He doesn’t give up; he starts calculating. The solutions he comes up with are logical and plausible with the materials he has on hand. Not that anyone would normally survive this situation. The fact that he is a botanist and a mechanical engineer gives him the skill set he needs to stay alive. This is a science fiction story, but it is almost not a science fiction story. By that, I mean that there is nothing particularly speculative about the story. It is not set much in the future. In the movie version, it looks like the present day. There are no futuristic cars or phones or clothes. It looks like it is taking place next week. I think that was a very conscious choice by the filmmakers. It matches the feel of the book. There is no new technology or breakthrough concepts. Today, if we had the funding and the wherewithal to go to Mars, the missions might look very much like the missions described in the book.

Much of what we are reading in the book is Mark Watney’s diary. The bonus for us, the readers, is that Watney is a funny guy. Even though he gets into some rather tense moments, the book is amusing. Speaking of tension, there is a section of the book that is not in the movie where the tension builds and builds. We, the audience know what is going on, but Mark does not. We want to scream at Watney, to tell him what’s coming, but we can’t. That makes for some edge-of-your-seat reading.

There is, in my opinion, one flaw in the movie. It is a moment that stretches plausibility to the breaking point. It is really the only scene of the movie that is not believable. That moment is not in the book. Apparently, Hollywood being Hollywood, just had to throw in a Hail Mary (see what I did there). Anyway, the book remains plausible throughout.

I still love the movie, and I love the book. And I would encourage fans of the movie to give the book a try. I don’t think you will be sorry.

Star Liner

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All That We See or Seem by Ken Liu

My first experience with cyberpunk as a genre of science fiction was Neuromancer by William Gibson. Neuromancer was one of the early works that defined the cyberpunk genre. It was insanely influential. It won the Hugo Award, the Nebula Award, the Philip K. Dick Award. But for me, it just did not resonate. I had a hard time visualizing the concepts. It left a bad taste in my mouth for cyberpunk. I mostly avoided the genre. Then a couple of years ago I read Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson which is cyberpunk (although some people say it is a parody of cyberpunk). Whatever, I liked it. I recently picked up All That We See or Seem by Ken Liu and it immediately became apparent to me that this was cyberpunk. Julia Z is the main character, and I think this is going to be the start of a series following her. She is a hacker (hence cyberpunk). She has got herself in trouble and so she lives on the margins, barely making it. Then a lawyer asks her for her help. His wife has been kidnapped. The ...

The Linear Nature of Time

    Go Go back Go back to the time before Before you did it Before they did it Before it was done to you Before the toast fell on the floor Before the catastrophe Before the mistake Before time’s scars Before   Go Go back Redeem it Rework it Fix it Go back   No you cannot Go back Star Liner

The Screaming Silence

  As I have mentioned, I worked for two seasons on the Spotted Owl Survey for the US Forest Service back in the day. This involved setting up stations around areas that were scheduled for timber harvesting to see if there were owls nesting there. We would look at a topographic map and see where we needed to put stations (usually along logging roads) so that we could get complete coverage of the area to be harvested. We would go out during the day and mark these stations with ribbons, then at night we would go to each station and “hoot” for ten minutes. If we did not get a response, we would move on to the next station and so on until we could be sure there were no spotted owls in the vicinity. This meant we were working at night in the woods. There is a lot of wildlife activity at night in the woods. It is not just owls, a fair number of wildlife are nocturnal. We saw coyotes, bobcats, cougars, bats, frogs, deer, elk, among other things. But it was not just seeing the wildlife, ...