Skip to main content

Life in Boomer Family: War

 


As a kid, I didn’t understand the complexities of the Viet Nam War. I don’t remember when it started. I just remember that at some point we were just sort of in it. President Johnson talked about it. Nixon talked about it. Lots of people talked about it. Lots of people were against it. I had no doubt we would win it, because America always won its wars. As a kid, you don’t have much of a concept of war. There were war movies and television shows like Twelve O’Clock High and the Rat Patrol. There were even comedies like Hogan’s Heroes, or McHale’s Navy. These were not the sort of things to give a kid a realistic view of warfare. No maiming, no PTSD, no dead babies.  So I was more interested in the things that kids like me were interested in: toys, astronauts, games with friends. One of those games was “war” where we would run around the neighborhood pretending to shoot each other.

When my oldest brother got to draft age, he enlisted in the Coast Guard. Our communications with him consisted of letters. There were no cell phones or emails back then. You had to wait weeks for a letter to cross the globe. Once in a great while we might get a phone call from him which was a complicated affair that involved a ship-to-shore operator. We followed his travels: New Zealand, Japan, Korea, Antarctica, and eventually . . . Viet Nam. Years later when my friends were worried that Ronald Reagan would get us involved in a war, I remember one of them saying ‘If I get drafted, I’m joining the Coast Guard because they just stay on our own coast. They don’t go off to war.” I had to explain to him his error.

Then my other brother dropped out of college and that made him eligible for the draft. Looking back on it, I realize now that it does seem elitist and unfair that men in college were exempt from the draft. I didn’t think anything about it at the time; it seemed like a good thing. I would imagine the people who could not afford or were not disposed to college would have disabused me of that notion. Anyway, brother number two got drafted into the army. My parents were not people who wore their emotions on their sleeves, but I think there was a tear or two shed when he went off to boot camp. There probably was with the first brother too, but I was not paying attention to such things.  I was pretty self-absorbed in my own kid stuff.

I am not sure at what point it was that I started to realize that Viet Nam was a mess (I am using the nice word “mess” here instead of what it really was), and that maybe we didn’t belong there. But at some point, even a self-absorbed egotistical kid like me figured it out. I grew up.  It took a long while though, being raised in a patriotic family. But you hit yourself in the head with a hammer enough times and eventually you are going to realize that maybe you shouldn’t do that.  I think eventually even my parents realized Viet Nam was a mistake. I am fortunate that my brothers came back intact. Politicians send young men and women off to war. The warriors do their duty. They are not supposed to ask if what they are fighting for is worth it. They are told they are fighting for our country or for freedom. They just do their duty. And the other side’s soldiers also do their duty. That is what soldiers do. Are they fighting for country, principle, or just feeding the ego of their self-absorbed leader?  

Kids grow up. Some politicians never do.

Star Liner


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Trip Home

  My wife and I recently returned from a trip to New York to visit my son and his wife. What follows is an excerpt of my notes from that trip. Departure day. So we and the kids (adult kids) leave by 5:30 AM. These “kids” are night owls. They rarely wake before 10:00 if they don’t have to, so we appreciate the sacrifice. Daughter-in-Law (DIL) drove us the 30 minutes to the train station. Hugs and good-byes for her (we love DIL. DIL is an irresistible force). Son navigates us a route to the platform with fewer stairs than the way we came. We get a ticket and get on the train headed for the big city and Grand Central Station. I soon realize that this train is not an express train like the one we took coming out. Instead of taking a little over an hour like we did before, this one would take a little over an hour and a half. We stop at places with names like Cold Springs and Peekskill (on this trip we saw a lot of place names that ended in “kill” including Kaatskill, i.e. Catskill, and

That 70's Decade

  Can a decade become a caricature? My teen years were in the 1970’s and none of us who lived through the 70’s thought our decade was going to be a figure of fun. When you are a part of it, you don’t realize what people are going to make fun of later. I think there are two reasons why people snicker when the 70’s are mentioned: clothing styles and Disco. Both things could be called extensions of trends that started in the 60’s. When the hippy styles of the 60’s became more formalized for the dance floor, the result was (in hindsight) rather bizarre. They did not seem bizarre at the time. People following present fashion trends never understand that they are wearing something that will be laughed at in ten years. Yes, I did have a pair of bell-bottom blue jeans (are they making a comeback?) The mere mention of the 1970’s conjures up someone in a ridiculous pose wearing a disco suit. We who lived through the 70’s just went about our normal life. There were quite a lot of things that ha

Tyranny of the Masses

  I was listening to Benjamin Netanyahu on the radio. He was justifying his change in the law that removed power from the Israeli Supreme Court, saying that it was the will of the people. Majority rules. This made me think of “Tyranny of the masses,” a concept that notes: just because a majority of people are for something, that doesn’t make it right. I am sure you can think of historical examples where the people of a country supported a policy that was demonstrably wrong. When everything is completely governed by majority rule, the rights of the minority can be subverted by the majority. The framers of our American Constitution knew this, and tried to put in some checks and balances into our system of government. This was to guard against all forms of tyranny whether from a dictator, or from tyranny of the masses. One of those checks is that we have a representative government. The people themselves don’t pass laws, but instead elect representatives at the federal and local level t