Skip to main content

Vinyl Seats

 

(Look how happy these kids are.) 

Whatever generation you are: Baby Boomer, Gen-X, Millennial etc., the family road trip is a rite of passage that every child has to go through. But I would argue that the Boomers had it the worst. For one thing we tended to be in bigger families, had no air conditioning, and the cars had vinyl seats. Road trips invariably took place in the summer when school was out. Driving across the country in the heat of summer meant inevitably everyone was wearing shorts. Pealing your skin off the vinyl seats was bad enough, but then returning to the car after a burger stop meant finding a way to sit on the near molten vinyl without letting it touch your skin.

Then there was the smell. That unmistakable odor of six people in a car for seven hours a day in the heat. I am not quite sure how my parents stood it. Nor how they stood the constant refrain of “are we there yet?” The reply they gave was always, “about fifteen minutes.” I swear every destination whether it was a town with a burger joint, a motel, the Grand Canyon, or the giant ball of twine, was always fifteen minutes away. And after I had been not so patiently waiting for what seemed like thirty minutes, when I asked “how long now?” The reply was, “about fifteen minutes.” Complaining that, that was what they said last time, did no good.

But looking back on it, I can scarcely remember the long tedious hours riding in the back of an Oldsmobile station wagon. I can remember I didn’t care much for the Badlands or the great Plains, but what I do remember is seeing Yellowstone, Mount Rushmore, The Space Needle, Disneyland, the view from the top of the Sears Tower. Even though the time spent at Rushmore was miniscule compared to the time it took to get there, that is what I remember. I think the brain shunts the unpleasant repetitive memories into a hard-to-access box. But the sites we saw, did those moments make it all worthwhile? If you had asked me then after an eight-hour hot car ride, I would have said no! Let me stay home and watch TV. But if you ask me now, I would unquestioningly say yes. Did the boomers have it the worst? Well, maybe not.

Star Liner

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All That We See or Seem by Ken Liu

My first experience with cyberpunk as a genre of science fiction was Neuromancer by William Gibson. Neuromancer was one of the early works that defined the cyberpunk genre. It was insanely influential. It won the Hugo Award, the Nebula Award, the Philip K. Dick Award. But for me, it just did not resonate. I had a hard time visualizing the concepts. It left a bad taste in my mouth for cyberpunk. I mostly avoided the genre. Then a couple of years ago I read Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson which is cyberpunk (although some people say it is a parody of cyberpunk). Whatever, I liked it. I recently picked up All That We See or Seem by Ken Liu and it immediately became apparent to me that this was cyberpunk. Julia Z is the main character, and I think this is going to be the start of a series following her. She is a hacker (hence cyberpunk). She has got herself in trouble and so she lives on the margins, barely making it. Then a lawyer asks her for her help. His wife has been kidnapped. The ...

The Linear Nature of Time

    Go Go back Go back to the time before Before you did it Before they did it Before it was done to you Before the toast fell on the floor Before the catastrophe Before the mistake Before time’s scars Before   Go Go back Redeem it Rework it Fix it Go back   No you cannot Go back Star Liner

The Screaming Silence

  As I have mentioned, I worked for two seasons on the Spotted Owl Survey for the US Forest Service back in the day. This involved setting up stations around areas that were scheduled for timber harvesting to see if there were owls nesting there. We would look at a topographic map and see where we needed to put stations (usually along logging roads) so that we could get complete coverage of the area to be harvested. We would go out during the day and mark these stations with ribbons, then at night we would go to each station and “hoot” for ten minutes. If we did not get a response, we would move on to the next station and so on until we could be sure there were no spotted owls in the vicinity. This meant we were working at night in the woods. There is a lot of wildlife activity at night in the woods. It is not just owls, a fair number of wildlife are nocturnal. We saw coyotes, bobcats, cougars, bats, frogs, deer, elk, among other things. But it was not just seeing the wildlife, ...