Skip to main content

Summer Jobs

 


Back when I was of an age that was old enough to take on a summer job (I must have been 12 or 13) opportunity presented itself in the form of “Mrs. B.” I don’t think I ever met Mrs. B., but she bussed kids out to the fields where in early summer we would pick Strawberries, and late summer we would pick beans. We didn’t get paid a lot, but we did get paid! This was the first real money most of us had ever earned other than an allowance, and my mother didn’t believe in allowances. She had seen too many kids who expected to get paid for doing things they should have been doing anyway, and some who wanted to get paid for doing nothing.

But field work was real work, and you got paid based on how much you picked. If you laid around and did nothing, you got paid nothing. I think we got 80 cents a crate for strawberries. I don’t remember how much we got paid for beans, but it was by weight. I made it through one full season of strawberry picking, but the next year I only made it a few days before my allergies exploded to such an extent that even my mom said “you’re done.” Strawberry season was in June. The worst month for me and my hay fever. Strawberry picking also has a lot of drawbacks. You are bent over bushes all day. There is no shade and it can get hot out there. We all packed our own lunches and I remember one trick my friend taught me was to put my can of soda in the freezer overnight. It would expand in the freezer, bulging the can out to a misshapen mass, but it (usually) didn’t burst. Then when lunch time came you had a nice cold Coke or root beer or whatever. But by the end of the day, we were all pretty worn out and spent from the heat. The one perk of the strawberry fields was that you got to eat a lot of strawberries fresh off the vine. Oregon strawberries that are that fresh, are a spectacular treat. If you have only had store-bought strawberries, you don’t know what you are missing. But no matter how good something tastes, if you have a never-ending supply of it, it can get old.

Bean picking was a more pleasant experience. For one thing it was later in the summer, after hay fever season was mostly over.  The rows of beans were at least six feet tall: automatic shade. This also allowed for more privacy from pushy or nosey crew bosses. It allowed us the ability to occasionally (ahem) goof off, i.e. have bean fights, sit around and talk or sing along with the radio. Most every group had someone who brought a transistor radio with them to the fields. Music was always playing. Hearing certain songs still takes me back to the bean fields. Ain’t no Sunshine When She’s Gone by Bill Withers, Uncle Albert by Paul McCartney and Wings, Brandy by Looking Glass, Hold Your head Up by Argent, Mr. Bojangles by the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, Smiling Faces by the Undisputed Truth, and many more.

If we occasionally goofed off, it meant that we had freedom. Freedom to make our own mistakes: like I said, if you didn’t produce, you didn’t get paid. But getting paid, earning our own money was an empowering thing. It was our money to do with as we pleased. For the first time in our lives, we weren’t dependent on someone else giving us money to go out and buy a record or book or a game. There were good life lessons. The harder you worked, the more you got paid. For soft kids like us, it was hard work, and I’m sure there were things that we grumbled about, but mainly I remember good times with good friends. One day when my friends and I were somewhat shirking, the song Uncle Albert was playing, and when it got to the part where he says “We’re so sorry, Uncle Albert . . .”  We all joined in on the next line, “But we haven’t done a bloody thing all day!” Then we laughed uproariously at our own cleverness.

Good times and life lessons, a powerful combination.

Star Liner

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All That We See or Seem by Ken Liu

My first experience with cyberpunk as a genre of science fiction was Neuromancer by William Gibson. Neuromancer was one of the early works that defined the cyberpunk genre. It was insanely influential. It won the Hugo Award, the Nebula Award, the Philip K. Dick Award. But for me, it just did not resonate. I had a hard time visualizing the concepts. It left a bad taste in my mouth for cyberpunk. I mostly avoided the genre. Then a couple of years ago I read Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson which is cyberpunk (although some people say it is a parody of cyberpunk). Whatever, I liked it. I recently picked up All That We See or Seem by Ken Liu and it immediately became apparent to me that this was cyberpunk. Julia Z is the main character, and I think this is going to be the start of a series following her. She is a hacker (hence cyberpunk). She has got herself in trouble and so she lives on the margins, barely making it. Then a lawyer asks her for her help. His wife has been kidnapped. The ...

The Linear Nature of Time

    Go Go back Go back to the time before Before you did it Before they did it Before it was done to you Before the toast fell on the floor Before the catastrophe Before the mistake Before time’s scars Before   Go Go back Redeem it Rework it Fix it Go back   No you cannot Go back Star Liner

The Screaming Silence

  As I have mentioned, I worked for two seasons on the Spotted Owl Survey for the US Forest Service back in the day. This involved setting up stations around areas that were scheduled for timber harvesting to see if there were owls nesting there. We would look at a topographic map and see where we needed to put stations (usually along logging roads) so that we could get complete coverage of the area to be harvested. We would go out during the day and mark these stations with ribbons, then at night we would go to each station and “hoot” for ten minutes. If we did not get a response, we would move on to the next station and so on until we could be sure there were no spotted owls in the vicinity. This meant we were working at night in the woods. There is a lot of wildlife activity at night in the woods. It is not just owls, a fair number of wildlife are nocturnal. We saw coyotes, bobcats, cougars, bats, frogs, deer, elk, among other things. But it was not just seeing the wildlife, ...