Skip to main content

The Day of the Triffids

 


Seems like I have been reading a lot of classic science fiction lately. The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham is another one. I remember something like 50 years ago seeing the movie, or part of the movie. It did not leave much of an impression with me. All I remember was something about attacking plants. It seemed par for the course for 1960’s horror movies. But I heard someone recommending the book and decided to give it a try.

What I found was that this was not so much an attacking creature kind of book, as it was post-apocalyptic fiction. Most of the tropes we have come to associate with post-apocalyptic fiction are there. But this book (written in 1951) predated most science fiction books in that subgenre. The Day of the Triffids did not invent post-apocalyptic fiction, but I think there were many books which copied aspects of it. Figuring out how to start over after civilization suddenly came to an end. How to organize a workforce, grow crops, fashion tools and weapons. The endless things we take for granted that make our lives easier, which now had to be rediscovered or to find new ways of doing them.

These fictional tropes seem familiar to us now, in fact I just recently reviewed a couple of books with them. But The Day of the Triffids was one of the first to use them and so in this way one would have to call it influential in the genre. The book is a bit dated. There are certainly things in it that don’t sit right with a modern audience. Like the idea that blindness is so horrible that most people would just commit suicide rather than to live with it. One must think that even in 1951, there were blind people living productive lives. They might have been put off by this novel, and blind people today would be downright offended by it.

As for the triffids themselves -- walking plants that carry a lethal sting -- it is interesting that these are not some creatures from outer space, but (probably) were bioengineered in a Russian lab. As I said, this is not your typical 1950’s sci-fi story. If your only contact with this story in the 1963 movie (like me) I would recommend giving the book a shot.

Star Liner

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All That We See or Seem by Ken Liu

My first experience with cyberpunk as a genre of science fiction was Neuromancer by William Gibson. Neuromancer was one of the early works that defined the cyberpunk genre. It was insanely influential. It won the Hugo Award, the Nebula Award, the Philip K. Dick Award. But for me, it just did not resonate. I had a hard time visualizing the concepts. It left a bad taste in my mouth for cyberpunk. I mostly avoided the genre. Then a couple of years ago I read Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson which is cyberpunk (although some people say it is a parody of cyberpunk). Whatever, I liked it. I recently picked up All That We See or Seem by Ken Liu and it immediately became apparent to me that this was cyberpunk. Julia Z is the main character, and I think this is going to be the start of a series following her. She is a hacker (hence cyberpunk). She has got herself in trouble and so she lives on the margins, barely making it. Then a lawyer asks her for her help. His wife has been kidnapped. The ...

The Linear Nature of Time

    Go Go back Go back to the time before Before you did it Before they did it Before it was done to you Before the toast fell on the floor Before the catastrophe Before the mistake Before time’s scars Before   Go Go back Redeem it Rework it Fix it Go back   No you cannot Go back Star Liner

The Screaming Silence

  As I have mentioned, I worked for two seasons on the Spotted Owl Survey for the US Forest Service back in the day. This involved setting up stations around areas that were scheduled for timber harvesting to see if there were owls nesting there. We would look at a topographic map and see where we needed to put stations (usually along logging roads) so that we could get complete coverage of the area to be harvested. We would go out during the day and mark these stations with ribbons, then at night we would go to each station and “hoot” for ten minutes. If we did not get a response, we would move on to the next station and so on until we could be sure there were no spotted owls in the vicinity. This meant we were working at night in the woods. There is a lot of wildlife activity at night in the woods. It is not just owls, a fair number of wildlife are nocturnal. We saw coyotes, bobcats, cougars, bats, frogs, deer, elk, among other things. But it was not just seeing the wildlife, ...