Skip to main content

Chateau Christmas

 


When I was young, my father worked on the Governor’s staff. It was a hard job with long hours, but it did come with some perks. One of the perks was that occasionally he was able to take his family on vacation and stay at “the Chateau.” The Chateau was on the National Guard camp on the coast. I was told it was where the General stayed when he was in residence at the camp. The Chateau was a lovely log cabin design built in the 1930’s, but it was big. To my ten or eleven year-old eyes it was huge. I believe the arrangement was that a member of the Governor’s staff could schedule a stay there if it was available and only pay for a cleaning fee.

So, one Christmas we stayed there along with another family who were friends of ours. I don’t remember a lot of detail because this was like 50 years ago. I do remember the house: exposed logs of the walls, beautiful hardwood floors, and a huge rock fireplace. Santa would have no problem fitting in that fireplace. This was just the coolest place, full of secrets.

I remember that we went clamming for razor clams and got skunked (well not quite skunked. One member of our party came back with half a clam, having sliced it in two with the misguided plunge of his shovel. We were, none of us, expert clammers.) Other than the clamming, there was not a lot of playing at the beach. This being December, the weather was not conducive to beach frolicking. But there were games to be played, and food and conversation. One specific memory I have is that I got a Swiss army knife for Christmas. Somehow that day or the day after I managed to slice my finger pretty badly. My mother did not take the knife away. Back then, kids were supposed to survive childhood without safeties on. It also did not tarnish my love for that knife.

I have warm feelings when I think of our Christmas there, good times with our friends and just an affection for the place. The Chateau was not generally available for civilian use. I don’t think I realized at the time what a privilege we were being given.

Star Liner

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All That We See or Seem by Ken Liu

My first experience with cyberpunk as a genre of science fiction was Neuromancer by William Gibson. Neuromancer was one of the early works that defined the cyberpunk genre. It was insanely influential. It won the Hugo Award, the Nebula Award, the Philip K. Dick Award. But for me, it just did not resonate. I had a hard time visualizing the concepts. It left a bad taste in my mouth for cyberpunk. I mostly avoided the genre. Then a couple of years ago I read Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson which is cyberpunk (although some people say it is a parody of cyberpunk). Whatever, I liked it. I recently picked up All That We See or Seem by Ken Liu and it immediately became apparent to me that this was cyberpunk. Julia Z is the main character, and I think this is going to be the start of a series following her. She is a hacker (hence cyberpunk). She has got herself in trouble and so she lives on the margins, barely making it. Then a lawyer asks her for her help. His wife has been kidnapped. The ...

The Linear Nature of Time

    Go Go back Go back to the time before Before you did it Before they did it Before it was done to you Before the toast fell on the floor Before the catastrophe Before the mistake Before time’s scars Before   Go Go back Redeem it Rework it Fix it Go back   No you cannot Go back Star Liner

The Screaming Silence

  As I have mentioned, I worked for two seasons on the Spotted Owl Survey for the US Forest Service back in the day. This involved setting up stations around areas that were scheduled for timber harvesting to see if there were owls nesting there. We would look at a topographic map and see where we needed to put stations (usually along logging roads) so that we could get complete coverage of the area to be harvested. We would go out during the day and mark these stations with ribbons, then at night we would go to each station and “hoot” for ten minutes. If we did not get a response, we would move on to the next station and so on until we could be sure there were no spotted owls in the vicinity. This meant we were working at night in the woods. There is a lot of wildlife activity at night in the woods. It is not just owls, a fair number of wildlife are nocturnal. We saw coyotes, bobcats, cougars, bats, frogs, deer, elk, among other things. But it was not just seeing the wildlife, ...