Skip to main content

Eon by Greg Bear

 



Going through shelves of classic science fiction at the library, I noticed Eon by Greg Bear. I had never read it before and decided to give it a try. Some years ago, I read Darwin’s Radio by Bear, and liked it. What I was not to know was that when I got to about three quarters of the way through Eon, I learned Greg Bear had died. The book was suddenly infused with some reverence and respect. This was a writer of many books, a winner of Hugo and Nebula awards. Science fiction writers, even successful ones, rarely make the news even in death. It fell to the writing community on Twitter to inform me of his death.

The novel Eon is part of a series called The Way. In this story, an asteroid, moving of its own volition parks itself in an orbit around the Earth and Moon. This is not behavior normally seen in asteroids. So, on investigating we discover a world inside. In fact, multiple worlds, perhaps a gateway to multiple universes. There is a rich tapestry of well-developed characters and interesting situations.

All this being said, the book didn’t really do it for me, and I don’t think I will be continuing the series. Initially it was a pacing issue. The book does take a while to get moving. But the last quarter or so of the book was just too hard for me to visualize what was happening. That may be on me and not Bear. The incredibly detailed world building is maybe a bit too detailed, or the detail might be too complicated for my brain.  

But this is not going to stop me from reading other works by Bear. I know Bear was a good writer. I enjoyed Darwin’s Radio. This one just was not for me.

Star Liner

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All That We See or Seem by Ken Liu

My first experience with cyberpunk as a genre of science fiction was Neuromancer by William Gibson. Neuromancer was one of the early works that defined the cyberpunk genre. It was insanely influential. It won the Hugo Award, the Nebula Award, the Philip K. Dick Award. But for me, it just did not resonate. I had a hard time visualizing the concepts. It left a bad taste in my mouth for cyberpunk. I mostly avoided the genre. Then a couple of years ago I read Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson which is cyberpunk (although some people say it is a parody of cyberpunk). Whatever, I liked it. I recently picked up All That We See or Seem by Ken Liu and it immediately became apparent to me that this was cyberpunk. Julia Z is the main character, and I think this is going to be the start of a series following her. She is a hacker (hence cyberpunk). She has got herself in trouble and so she lives on the margins, barely making it. Then a lawyer asks her for her help. His wife has been kidnapped. The ...

The Linear Nature of Time

    Go Go back Go back to the time before Before you did it Before they did it Before it was done to you Before the toast fell on the floor Before the catastrophe Before the mistake Before time’s scars Before   Go Go back Redeem it Rework it Fix it Go back   No you cannot Go back Star Liner

The Screaming Silence

  As I have mentioned, I worked for two seasons on the Spotted Owl Survey for the US Forest Service back in the day. This involved setting up stations around areas that were scheduled for timber harvesting to see if there were owls nesting there. We would look at a topographic map and see where we needed to put stations (usually along logging roads) so that we could get complete coverage of the area to be harvested. We would go out during the day and mark these stations with ribbons, then at night we would go to each station and “hoot” for ten minutes. If we did not get a response, we would move on to the next station and so on until we could be sure there were no spotted owls in the vicinity. This meant we were working at night in the woods. There is a lot of wildlife activity at night in the woods. It is not just owls, a fair number of wildlife are nocturnal. We saw coyotes, bobcats, cougars, bats, frogs, deer, elk, among other things. But it was not just seeing the wildlife, ...