Skip to main content

Catch-22 in Various Forms

 




I just finished watching the 2019 television series version of Catch-22 staring Christopher Abbott. Probably 40 years ago, I watched the 1970 movie version with Alan Arkin. Probably like 50 years ago, I read the novel by Joseph Heller.

In Catch-22 we follow Yossarian, a bombardier stationed on an island in the Mediterranean Sea during World War II. Yossarian is told that once he flies 25 missions, he can go home. But as he and his fellow crewmates get close to 25, they raise the line to 30 missions, then 35, then 40, and so on. We see Yossarian trying to navigate this psychological hellscape.

As it has been some 50 years since I read the novel, I would be hard-pressed to say how faithful each screen version was to the original source. That being said, I think it would be hard for a two-hour movie to do true justice to the rich characters from the book. A series should be able to do a better job. And it does . . . but I still think we did not get to know Yossarian’s friends as well as we should. Going on my dim memories of the book, it just seems like I got to know them better in the book. But overall, I did really like the series. It moved me. It made me laugh. It made me think. Abbott does a good job playing the sometimes perplexed, sometimes terrified, sometimes wise Yossarian.

At the same time, and not to throw you completely off base, I am currently reading John Irving’s The Last Chairlift. There are similarities between Irving’s writing and Heller’s. In both we have heavy doses of comedy and tragedy. I like Irving’s novels, and this is a trademark of his work: quirky humor, mixed with very tragic tragedy. Both Irving and Heller like to immerse you in a world of rich, complex, and sometimes bizarre characters. And Irving is a master of foreshadowing. You always know the tragedy is coming. There is a sense of impending doom between the laughs.

With Catch-22, the sense of impending doom is supplied by the war. The comedy is supplied by the absurdity. Yossarian tries everything he can to keep from flying. In one scheme he decides to plead insanity. He tells the doctor he is crazy. The doctor agrees he is crazy, but there is a catch, the doctor tells him: Catch-22. In order for Yossarian to be sent home he has to ask for it, but if he asks to go home, it proves he’s not crazy, because no sane person would want to stay.  “That’s some catch, that Catch-22,” Yossarian says. “it’s a doozie,” the doctor agrees.

It's a doozie.

Star Liner


Comments

  1. Always Enjoy your take on literature. In fact, Catch 22 became an iconic phrase of my generation.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

All That We See or Seem by Ken Liu

My first experience with cyberpunk as a genre of science fiction was Neuromancer by William Gibson. Neuromancer was one of the early works that defined the cyberpunk genre. It was insanely influential. It won the Hugo Award, the Nebula Award, the Philip K. Dick Award. But for me, it just did not resonate. I had a hard time visualizing the concepts. It left a bad taste in my mouth for cyberpunk. I mostly avoided the genre. Then a couple of years ago I read Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson which is cyberpunk (although some people say it is a parody of cyberpunk). Whatever, I liked it. I recently picked up All That We See or Seem by Ken Liu and it immediately became apparent to me that this was cyberpunk. Julia Z is the main character, and I think this is going to be the start of a series following her. She is a hacker (hence cyberpunk). She has got herself in trouble and so she lives on the margins, barely making it. Then a lawyer asks her for her help. His wife has been kidnapped. The ...

The Linear Nature of Time

    Go Go back Go back to the time before Before you did it Before they did it Before it was done to you Before the toast fell on the floor Before the catastrophe Before the mistake Before time’s scars Before   Go Go back Redeem it Rework it Fix it Go back   No you cannot Go back Star Liner

The Screaming Silence

  As I have mentioned, I worked for two seasons on the Spotted Owl Survey for the US Forest Service back in the day. This involved setting up stations around areas that were scheduled for timber harvesting to see if there were owls nesting there. We would look at a topographic map and see where we needed to put stations (usually along logging roads) so that we could get complete coverage of the area to be harvested. We would go out during the day and mark these stations with ribbons, then at night we would go to each station and “hoot” for ten minutes. If we did not get a response, we would move on to the next station and so on until we could be sure there were no spotted owls in the vicinity. This meant we were working at night in the woods. There is a lot of wildlife activity at night in the woods. It is not just owls, a fair number of wildlife are nocturnal. We saw coyotes, bobcats, cougars, bats, frogs, deer, elk, among other things. But it was not just seeing the wildlife, ...