Skip to main content

Hippies

 


When I was a kid, ten or eleven, I was a hippie wannabe. I was too young to be a hippie. But hippies were cool. They were so free, so liberated. I think all my friends wanted the same. It was the late Sixties and hippies were in the news and we could see them around town. Two of my older siblings may have had leanings that way. The third sibling definitely did not.

I did not do drugs and had no plans to ever start. But drugs were not what made you a hippie. Hippies seemed so cool because they were cool by definition. The word hippie comes from “hip.” You had to be hip to be a hippie. Hip was a word coined by an earlier group of outliers called beatniks. Beatniks were a group of poets and artists, and musicians who had the “beat.” Beatniks coined the term “hip.” Beatniks were clear outsiders. They were scoffed at or made fun of by the mainstream population. But some of that attitude of not caring what the mainstream thinks of you, carried on to the next generation. It turns out not worrying about conforming is very freeing. That, coupled with a cause -- the growing mess in Viet Nam -- found the ranks of hippies swelling. The establishment didn’t take the beatniks seriously because there weren’t very many of them. They made fun of them.  But the hippie movement grew to a point that it could not be ignored, could not be just laughed at. A fundamental shift was taking place, the younger generation shifting away from the older.  The older generation did not understand the hippies. People fear what they do not understand and often attack what they fear.

To me, a kid, the larger sociological implications of this shift were lost. I simply saw people that I wanted to emulate, people who cared about the environment, who cared about social justice, who cared about freedom and tried to live free. I was less certain about the Viet Nam War protests. I had been raised a patriotic American, and what was happening in the war was confusing to me.

Hippies were not monolithic. Some did drugs, not all. Some believed in free love, not all. Some were Marxists, not all. Some were Christians; some were atheists; some were Buddhists, etc.  So, what kind of hippie did I want to be? I guess if you had pinned me down, I would have said I wanted to be a sort of  a conservative hippie (as if that weren’t the most ridiculous oxymoronic term you ever heard). My friends were all of similar minds. We were socially and environmentally aware. We loved the idea of freedom. We talked about how when we graduated high school would pool our money together an buy an old school bus. We would convert it into living space and travel the country, all of us, in our bus. It was a romantic notion. No rules. We would just make it up as we went.

It's fine to fantasize about such things when you are eleven. When you get a little older the practicalities start to sink in. Hippies did not worry about practicalities, right? But they started coming unbidden into my mind. It’s all well and good to say you would save up and pool your money, but it would not take long for money to run out. Then how are you going to buy fuel? How are you going to buy food, toilet paper? And one thing I kept coming back to: can you imagine what that bus would smell like after a few weeks?

By the time I was old enough to be a hippie, hippies were waning. They no longer had the cool cachet for me that they once had. I still carried some of that idealism, but I found myself planted firmly in the mainstream. And that was okay. It’s okay to fight for a better world from within the system. That was who I was at that point in my life. Not such a free bird, perhaps a bit boringly conventional. But I think it worked out for the best. The road that was not taken was probably the road that was not meant for you. 

Star Liner

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Trip Home

  My wife and I recently returned from a trip to New York to visit my son and his wife. What follows is an excerpt of my notes from that trip. Departure day. So we and the kids (adult kids) leave by 5:30 AM. These “kids” are night owls. They rarely wake before 10:00 if they don’t have to, so we appreciate the sacrifice. Daughter-in-Law (DIL) drove us the 30 minutes to the train station. Hugs and good-byes for her (we love DIL. DIL is an irresistible force). Son navigates us a route to the platform with fewer stairs than the way we came. We get a ticket and get on the train headed for the big city and Grand Central Station. I soon realize that this train is not an express train like the one we took coming out. Instead of taking a little over an hour like we did before, this one would take a little over an hour and a half. We stop at places with names like Cold Springs and Peekskill (on this trip we saw a lot of place names that ended in “kill” including Kaatskill, i.e. Catskill, and

That 70's Decade

  Can a decade become a caricature? My teen years were in the 1970’s and none of us who lived through the 70’s thought our decade was going to be a figure of fun. When you are a part of it, you don’t realize what people are going to make fun of later. I think there are two reasons why people snicker when the 70’s are mentioned: clothing styles and Disco. Both things could be called extensions of trends that started in the 60’s. When the hippy styles of the 60’s became more formalized for the dance floor, the result was (in hindsight) rather bizarre. They did not seem bizarre at the time. People following present fashion trends never understand that they are wearing something that will be laughed at in ten years. Yes, I did have a pair of bell-bottom blue jeans (are they making a comeback?) The mere mention of the 1970’s conjures up someone in a ridiculous pose wearing a disco suit. We who lived through the 70’s just went about our normal life. There were quite a lot of things that ha

Tyranny of the Masses

  I was listening to Benjamin Netanyahu on the radio. He was justifying his change in the law that removed power from the Israeli Supreme Court, saying that it was the will of the people. Majority rules. This made me think of “Tyranny of the masses,” a concept that notes: just because a majority of people are for something, that doesn’t make it right. I am sure you can think of historical examples where the people of a country supported a policy that was demonstrably wrong. When everything is completely governed by majority rule, the rights of the minority can be subverted by the majority. The framers of our American Constitution knew this, and tried to put in some checks and balances into our system of government. This was to guard against all forms of tyranny whether from a dictator, or from tyranny of the masses. One of those checks is that we have a representative government. The people themselves don’t pass laws, but instead elect representatives at the federal and local level t