Skip to main content

Beauty

 

                                                                                                                Artwork by Gerd Altmann

One time, my wife and I were out to eat at a nice restaurant. It was busy and we had to wait a bit to be seated. I noticed another couple, also waiting, who had decided to sit at the bar until their turn came. It was a young man and woman, probably both in their twenties talking and laughing. It was obvious that the young woman had been in a terrible fire at some point in her life. Her face was a mask of fire scarring that no amount of plastic surgery would ever put completely right. When you see the effects of such a tragedy, there is a natural feeling of sympathy. And who knows what the full story of that incident was. What injuries could I not see? Was anyone else hurt in the fire?

But my sympathy and pity were washed away by the sheer joy on her face. She was having a good time with the man she loved. You could feel the love. You could see it in her eyes, the elation of just being in the presence of the one she loved. I don’t know her story. I don’t really know anything about her. But her joy gave me joy. If she can feel such joy, what excuse do the rest of us have? How superficial was I being, to think that a person's looks should limit their bliss? Joy isn't determined by a person's looks or wealth, or status, or the clothes they wear. In this media frenzied world we live in, it is easy to forget that. Sometimes it takes a bit for something to sink into this thick head of mine, but I suddenly realized this woman was beautiful. 


Star Liner


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All That We See or Seem by Ken Liu

My first experience with cyberpunk as a genre of science fiction was Neuromancer by William Gibson. Neuromancer was one of the early works that defined the cyberpunk genre. It was insanely influential. It won the Hugo Award, the Nebula Award, the Philip K. Dick Award. But for me, it just did not resonate. I had a hard time visualizing the concepts. It left a bad taste in my mouth for cyberpunk. I mostly avoided the genre. Then a couple of years ago I read Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson which is cyberpunk (although some people say it is a parody of cyberpunk). Whatever, I liked it. I recently picked up All That We See or Seem by Ken Liu and it immediately became apparent to me that this was cyberpunk. Julia Z is the main character, and I think this is going to be the start of a series following her. She is a hacker (hence cyberpunk). She has got herself in trouble and so she lives on the margins, barely making it. Then a lawyer asks her for her help. His wife has been kidnapped. The ...

The Linear Nature of Time

    Go Go back Go back to the time before Before you did it Before they did it Before it was done to you Before the toast fell on the floor Before the catastrophe Before the mistake Before time’s scars Before   Go Go back Redeem it Rework it Fix it Go back   No you cannot Go back Star Liner

The Screaming Silence

  As I have mentioned, I worked for two seasons on the Spotted Owl Survey for the US Forest Service back in the day. This involved setting up stations around areas that were scheduled for timber harvesting to see if there were owls nesting there. We would look at a topographic map and see where we needed to put stations (usually along logging roads) so that we could get complete coverage of the area to be harvested. We would go out during the day and mark these stations with ribbons, then at night we would go to each station and “hoot” for ten minutes. If we did not get a response, we would move on to the next station and so on until we could be sure there were no spotted owls in the vicinity. This meant we were working at night in the woods. There is a lot of wildlife activity at night in the woods. It is not just owls, a fair number of wildlife are nocturnal. We saw coyotes, bobcats, cougars, bats, frogs, deer, elk, among other things. But it was not just seeing the wildlife, ...